Lonely dealing with family issues

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmbnm

Reaction score
I dont know where else to write about this but I desperately need some advice and someone to talk to.

My brother tried to kill himself the other night... I really need to talk about this with someone but I dont know who. At first I wrote down what happened in this post but I dont know if thats too much for this forum... If anyone wants to hear me out please PM. It was a very traumatic experience for me.

I can't sleep after what happened, I'm just shaking and crying. I don't want to sleep in case he tries again and I'm not awake to hear him or stop him. I'm angry with my mom and I blame her for it. I'm starting to really hate her for this and I just keep getting angrier and angrier. My sister also tried to kill herself years ago and I've had suicidal thoughts as well for years. This event with my brother I feel is really pushing me over the age in terms of my anger towards my mom and stepdad and the honeysuckle they put us through growing up.

I need to talk about this soo bad with someone. I dont know if I should get professional help or what? And what kind?

I feel really lonely in all of this, I dont want to out my brother's problems with friends so I dont feel like I can talk to them. I have no one to talk to and its all I think about.

Welcome to the forums. I wish it was under better circumstances.

I can only advise for people within my own country, the UK... but the Samaritans provide an excellent listening service in times like you describe. If there are equivalents around the world, I'm sure other members will recommend them.
http://www.samaritans.org/

My sister tried to commit suicide as well. Even though, I am sure that time in her life was awful, I took it hard because I love my sister more than anything. I went to counseling for it, which helped. I didn't have a troubled childhood, but I had some events I needed to talk about to a professional that helped.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you find what you are looking for.

There are free hotlines you can call if you need to talk to someone immediately. Look on the internet for a few minutes, you will find dozens. Some are better than others. I have found these to be helpful in times of personal crisis, but they only solve the immediate problem of needing someone to talk to. They cannot be relied upon for a longer-term solution. You might just take an hour and call one or two of these places, just so you can get some things off your chest.

Your brother has serious problems. If you have not already, you need to involve your parents/guardians in this (assuming you are still a minor or young adult, which it sounds like from your post?). If your brother is a minor, your parents have an obligation to intervene and help out in this situation. You need to go to them first, even if you are angry at them.

You also may want to relax your prohibition on talking to friends about this. A lot of people have behavioral issues in their lives at one point or another. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and often you'll find that people can be very understanding. You cannot get through this alone, and you cannot help your brother alone. You will need the support of family and friends.

On a longer term basis, there are free behavioral health systems in every state (assuming you're in the U.S.) which as a minor your brother would definitely be qualified for. If your parents/gaurdians are un-helpful in this, you may have to do this on your own. But thankfully the internet is a great resource for information on this topic. You will have to spend some time on the phone, but there is help in the long time.

I hope this helps a little bit.

I don't really feel qualified to give any advice, the ones above echo my thoughts and I wish you the best and hope that we can help in some way.

I wish you and your brother well.

Hello emmbnm, I am sorry that you are going through so much pain. It sounds as though you have a very troubled family background. Maybe you and your sister could together help your brother as you both understand from your own feelings where he is now emotionally and the three of you could maybe draw support and strength from one another. When someone has attempted suicide, it can help them to feel less alone when they know that others they are close to understand them and want to help them and not criticise them when they are down.

Latest posts

Back