Dislike your own appearance in some circumstances?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edamame721

Reaction score
I'm normally okay with mirrors in my own home, but I hate the way my face looks in photographs and in the barber/hairdresser's mirror. There's just something about the really bright fluorescent lighting.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience where they dislike their appearance in certain circumstances?

I generally prefer how I look in a mirror rather than in, say, a photograph or video. When I look in a mirror, I usually think I'm decent/average, but when I see myself in a photo... ugh. SO not flattering. lol

Yes. Daily.

Today, I was testing out my webcam, and I had to turn it off instantly. I did not like how I looked at all.

It depends on the lighting. I having a noticeable lump in the middle of my forehead that is hardly noticeable or extremely visible depending on the angle of the light. It ruins every picture I take.

I hate it. Like, I have actual hatred for this piece of my body. I'm going to have it surgically removed as soon as I've stowed the 2k.

Badjedidude said:
I generally prefer how I look in a mirror rather than in, say, a photograph or video. When I look in a mirror, I usually think I'm decent/average, but when I see myself in a photo... ugh. SO not flattering. lol

I've heard before that most people's faces aren't symmetrical. We get to know our own appearance through mirrors, but in a photography or video, we see our face as others see it -- so our face is flipped and we don't like it. Maybe that explains it for you?

Yeah definitely. I don't mind having photo's taken as I don't look that bad most of the time and usually I'm not bothered when I'm looking in a mirror either, however there are times when I feel down on myself for letting myself get like this especially in regards to my weight.

edamame721 said:
I've heard before that most people's faces aren't symmetrical. We get to know our own appearance through mirrors, but in a photography or video, we see our face as others see it -- so our face is flipped and we don't like it. Maybe that explains it for you?

Whoa Edamame...you just made it all make sense!

Most of the time, I don't want to shoot at my reflection in the mirror, but I definitely want to pulpify all pictures of me. Except for the Instagram ones cuz I'm filtered beyond recognition in those :D

edamame721 said:
I'm normally okay with mirrors in my own home, but I hate the way my face looks in photographs and in the barber/hairdresser's mirror. There's just something about the really bright fluorescent lighting.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience where they dislike their appearance in certain circumstances?

mirrors are okay, I look allright.
photo's I was awful

I was actually a child model and I'm quite comely, but I have noticed I'm significantly less pleased with my appearance in fluorescent lighting like you.

Fluorescent lighting and webcams are just awful in general. :/

Mostly I'm okay with how I look in pictures, but every now and then I see a picture and it's a complete shock to me - it's like I have completely different features. Ugh.

I guess it really is about perception - if you only know yourself from mirrors, you're probably only seeing your face from certain angles and with certain expressions. You don't see the full picture.

I think Mirrors make us look wrong. I enjoy my appearance there but NOT in photos. I used to think it was because I was overweight but then I lost weight and didn't look much better. I try to take more photos now. Also, I found out that there are tricks to looking good in photos. For a full photo you should do what they do on the red carpet and stand with your hands on your hips and shoulder's back. In other words, strike a pose. On face photos, always pretend you are laughing at he funniest thing ever. For me.. having to smile seems to put my head in a straight position --while when I TRY to put my face in a straight position.. it seems to come out crooked.

Another thing... shocking but it really depends on who is taking the photo. When my brother would take the photo I would look horrible. When anyone else would -- I would look better. I think there can be a subconscious bias if someone you don't adore is taking the photo, perhaps one reason why models have preferences for certain photographers.

ugh, I just had a picture of me taken, I was playing with a 2 years old child, and maybe it was the contrast in size but I looked like an elephant. It does depend on who is taking the photo, I agree. Also, I always put my face in the wrong position so instead of looking prettier I look uglier - I think there is a whole science behind how to show your face to the camera to look better. Some people look nicer thin, some people look nicer with some build, I guess it depends on the face structure.

Same thing!! I always feel that I look pretty when looking in the mirror but the photos... are different story. I'm not photogenic at all.

I have body issues. In the past I would wear clothing to hide the fact that I was a really skinny kid. This meant that I often wore long sleeve shirts and jeans in the middle of summer-time. Then, I'd sweat like a pig, and people would ask me why I didn't wear t-shirts and shorts. I never had the confidence to tell them that I feared being laughed at.

Since those early days, I have overcome the thought that people would laugh. I now wear t-shirts and think I look fine. But I don't wear shorts as a public service. I'm one of the palest people I know (Irish/Finnish ancestry,) and my legs actually blind small children if not covered up. I'd rather spare the public of this rare mutant power. :D

On the other hand, covering up for all these years as a skinny pale guy, I probably decreased my skin cancer risks, so I have that going for me.

I still wear baggy clothes. when i was younger i thought i would look better, worked out and everything, but as i grew older i realised i would look like this forever. i had a lot of hope when i was a young man that got me through a number of situations

quead64 said:
I still wear baggy clothes. when i was younger i thought i would look better, worked out and everything, but as i grew older i realised i would look like this forever. i had a lot of hope when i was a young man that got me through a number of situations

How come you feel the need to wear baggy clothes?
sorry if you have already said just I have not seen that anywhere.

I am satisfied that I am quite handsome but with my body I am not satisfied. That is exactly why I have to go to gym for few months so that people would not call me small or skinny. In general, I am bit insecure about my whole look. I bet it is quite common among youths

Latest posts

Back