selfie's

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
Or whatever they are called. I had not heard of them until a few weeks ago. Now they are springing up all over my facebook. It seems a craze or fad.

I like some of them, some of the ladies on my facebook look great !

Of course like most things I could never join in, mine would look horrible. Mostly because I am not photogenic. The camera just doesn't like me.

Selfies have been around for years, so I'm not sure why you are just now seeing them.

I think the problem for you is that YOU don't like yourself. I don't mean that offensively, but you keep bashing your looks, so I really don't think the camera is the problem.

They've been around for awhile but for some reason have really exploded lately. People are trying to be more creative with selfies now instead of trying to take a picture in a bathroom mirror.

TheRealCallie said:
Selfies have been around for years, so I'm not sure why you are just now seeing them.

I think the problem for you is that YOU don't like yourself. I don't mean that offensively, but you keep bashing your looks, so I really don't think the camera is the problem.

oh I like myself fine thank you.

Sci-Fi said:
They've been around for awhile but for some reason have really exploded lately. People are trying to be more creative with selfies now instead of trying to take a picture in a bathroom mirror.

There was something on my facebook a few weeks ago were women did them without makeup on for charity. Some women looked really good. I don't care what some people say. The camera can like somebody. Some people always look good in photo's and they aren't anymore attractive than other people.

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:

I'm referring to your looks, specifically.

Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

There was something on my facebook a few weeks ago were women did them without makeup on for charity. Some women looked really good. I don't care what some people say. The camera can like somebody. Some people always look good in photo's and they aren't anymore attractive than other people.

Some people just know angles they look good and some even know how to use photoshop.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:

I'm referring to your looks, specifically.

Triple Bogey said:
Sci-Fi said:

Some people just know angles they look good and some even know how to use photoshop.

my attitude as come from 25 years of looking at photographs of myself pulling stupid faces and looking like I have either just got up or look as miserable as sin.

If somebody points a camera at me I turn away.
On some night out a few years, somebody took a photo of me and said 'look at this' and I wouldn't look, I turned my head away and refused to look at myself. Somebody took some photo's at this other night out and put them on facebook. I couldn't delete them. I went to bed and wept for 2 hours. So yeah it bothers me. I avoid reflections of myself in windows as well.

Triple Bogey said:
my attitude as come from 25 years of looking at photographs of myself pulling stupid faces and looking like I have either just got up or look as miserable as sin.

On some night out a few years, somebody took a photo of me and said 'look at this' and I wouldn't look, I turned my head away and refused to look at myself. Somebody took some photo's at this other night out and put them on facebook. I couldn't delete them. I went to bed and wept for 2 hours. So yeah it bothers me. I avoid reflections of myself in windows as well.

That's exactly my point. You are so focused on how you look to yourself, that you don't seem to want to consider that other people may not have the same opinion. Not everyone will think you are attractive, but I can assure you that some people will. And while some may not find you attractive, they could still think that you aren't ugly.

I know how hard it is to consider that not everyone shares you opinion about yourself. Believe me, I think most people are delusional when it comes to how I look, but that's MY opinion about myself and I'm entirely too critical of myself.

If you feel that horrible about how you look, it is very likely that it is reflecting out to other people. If you can learn to at least accept how you look (or even take steps to change what you can..not saying plastic surgery here), then you may start seeing that others don't see you as you see yourself.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

That's exactly my point. You are so focused on how you look to yourself, that you don't seem to want to consider that other people may not have the same opinion. Not everyone will think you are attractive, but I can assure you that some people will. And while some may not find you attractive, they could still think that you aren't ugly.

I know how hard it is to consider that not everyone shares you opinion about yourself. Believe me, I think most people are delusional when it comes to how I look, but that's MY opinion about myself and I'm entirely too critical of myself.

If you feel that horrible about how you look, it is very likely that it is reflecting out to other people. If you can learn to at least accept how you look (or even take steps to change what you can..not saying plastic surgery here), then you may start seeing that others don't see you as you see yourself.

it's only how I look though. I have a bright, cheerful personality and I know the customers at work really like me and enjoy talking to me.
I am not a complete miserable sod. It's not like it dominates my thinking, the original point was I look rubbish in photo's. Probably because I feel a bit self concuss when I am appearing in them.

Ive had a look on facebook at some of my photo's, they look horrible. One of them I look like a lunatic. I only have 3 on there thank god. The best one is on that lets see the faces thread, I don't mind that. For some reason I pull all sorts of funny / creepy faces. I don't know if I pull them in real life.

EVERYONE must have heard of selfies at some point; Facebook, Twitter... all that social garbage is full of people who take selfies, unbelievably you can do it in games, too.

I know what you mean about taking these, I also don't see the appeal of that and I don't really like taking my own photo. But I think it's mostly grown from the younger generation (I'm speaking like I'm 97) that's been conditioned into this virtual socialization, maybe at the time it was considered arrogant but something that's kind of caught on.

I don't 'get' the selfie phenomenom at all...I mean, isn't it very narcissistic to take a picture of yourself and post it all over a public social network? Why bother? As someone mentioned above, people are sheeples, if everyone is doing it it must be the thing to do! Silly....

ringwood said:
I don't 'get' the selfie phenomenom at all...I mean, isn't it very narcissistic to take a picture of yourself and post it all over a public social network? Why bother? As someone mentioned above, people are sheeples, if everyone is doing it it must be the thing to do! Silly....

Well...I have no one to take pics of me, so all I have are selfies. :D lol
Including the ones I post on the Faces thread. Does that make me a sheeple?
Perhaps I should remove said photos. :club:

EveWasFramed said:
ringwood said:

SHEEPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Don't hurt me.
wary.gif

P.S. Triple Bogey - you mentioned once that there's a picture of yourself posted on this forum somewhere in the 'Let's see the faces!' thread, I've looked and can't find it - care to post another one so we can see if you look like rubbish or not...(kidding on that - as an amateur photographer, there's a lot of truth to the fact that the right angle, light, perspective can make or break a picture and this applies even more so to faces - as a photographer yourself, I'm sure you know this. Anyway, what I'm saying is I bet everyone has a whole slew of reject pictures of themselves before they get one they are satisfied with. Stop being so hard on yourself!)

It's both horrid and interesting at the same time, I think. Don't we all wonder what we actually look like a lot of the time? We see photos of us that others have taken, we take photos of ourselves, and look so different in all of them. We have different people that we see in our photographs, and it seems for some it's a neverending quest to find out which one we actually look like the most.

You get average-looking people taking hundreds of selfies and uploading the best ones to make themselves feel better about their appearance, hoping for praise and validation.
You get good-looking people taking and uploading hundreds of selfies for the same reasons, because hey, "beautiful" people can feel ugly and insecure too. Example:

[video=youtube]

One of the "most beautiful" people in the world feels the same.

And you get the people who don't try so hard to look pretty, but instead pull the stupidest faces they can and upload those instead - they are just as annoying I think but I respect them more for some reason.

The no make-up selfies recently really irritated me. All these thinly-veiled fishes for compliments disguised as "raising awareness" for Cancer in the form of taking a selfie without make-up on and posting it on facebook. Thanks everyone, now I am well and truly aware that Cancer exists. It's you!

Person 1: omg haha here is my selfie without any makeup on at all to raise awareness for cancer gosh i am sooo ugly heheheh

Person 2: you look lush hun! xoxo

Person 1: thx hun xoxo

Me: That's not even your real ******* hair colour and those aren't your eyebrows.

I don't really say that, but I think it, because it's fun to think stuff. Half of them didn't even donate or post a link to donate.

So yeah, most people experiment with selfies at some point, even if they don't upload them. Who isn't curious as to what they look like? Even if you're not now, you were at one point, or you would be, if cameras and reflections didn't exist. I find the people who post them all the time and every day annoying, but I do like the psychology behind it.

EveWasFramed said:
ringwood said:

I like all your photo's Eve !

I want to see more ! :)

Ugh, I have lost faith in society since "selfie" was the word of the year for 2013.....

And I hate taking "selfies" it always shows how big my nose is! I envy people who can take cute "selfies".

Latest posts

Back