Any raw, vegan, fans of Fat Sick and Nearly Dead?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Did you see the movie?

did you ever try juicing or extreme (for society) diets for health? Macrobiotics, Gerson, living food diet etc?

It would be nice to exchange information, if you have.

5 years ago I became very ill and Western medicine stopped working so I ventured into alternative medicine. I met a doctor who advised me to go on a juice detox diet + colon hydrotherapy for 7 days, twice a year. No more than 10 days though because then its too extreme. I've been doing it ever since and I feel so SO much better.

My diet is 70% raw vegan and I feel pretty good healthwise. Some people call it extreme but its the only thing that has worked for me. I've had many health problems since birth and 80% of my illnesses have gone away since changing my diet so I am happy :D

I think juicing or extreme calorie restriction should be a temporary detox kind of thing. Its dangerous to do it long term I feel.

Veruca-you wrote that 70% of your diet is raw vegan. Is the remaining 30% also vegan, but cooked? Or is the rest non vegan?

Tiina63 said:
Veruca-you wrote that 70% of your diet is raw vegan. Is the remaining 30% also vegan, but cooked? Or is the rest non vegan?

Hi Tiina!

The remaining 30% of the time, I eat cooked vegan/vegetarian food. Some veggies need to be cooked, and it can get a little difficult to find vegan food in my town so I am flexible. And I let myself enjoy a bit of processed food once in awhile...because life is too short! :D

Hi Veruca, thanks for your reply. I once read a book about a largely raw diet and the writers said that, like you, they found that they felt much better physically once they had switched to it.

I have been vegan for decades. I am not 100% raw. I have found it is too cooling for me year round. I love raw foods, though. I just have to eat something cooked everyday. I love being vegan and have my own Vegan meet up group. I love to try new recipes, eat tons of vegetables. I consider it a major joy in my life.

Peaches, the one thing I have been doing consistently since the middle of January that has been working is fruit and vegetable blends on weekdays using a Vitamix blender and occasionally juicing on weekends. If I am not juicing on various weekends then I am eating solid food, including meat. I've tried vegan before and it works, but I like a bit of animal every once in a while.

I got started on this plan through watching various documentaries including Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. While I do not agree that animal based foods have to be completely eliminated, some significant curtailing of them and a drastic departure is in order from a diet that is heavily animal based and one that includes a lot of processed foods. For another idea, I have a coworker who is doing the Paleo Diet (Caveman) and she is very happy with it. It's basic premise is, "If a caveman couldn't have eaten this 10,000 years ago, don't eat it." That pretty much eliminates processed foods and that is always a good idea.

I am convinced that eating a largely vegetable and fruit menu each day and exercising regularly is a key to good health. Notice I said "a key." I am also convinced that contentment in one's spiritual and emotional life is also necessary for overall well being, but here we are on this site because we are lacking in some ways for whatever individual reasons. In any case, physical maintenance can help with the emotions. It can boost self confidence and that becomes noticeable to others. Remember I said that my plan has been working? While I am concerned for my physical health, I am also wanting to have the confidence that comes from physical improvements. That confidence with myself can lead to confidence with others.

Now, where will all this lead ultimately? I have no idea. But I have to try. ;)

I have done paleo for a year before, but didn't feel that good overall to keep going with it. Then switched back to eat anything I
like, probably mostly junk or heavily processed food. Now I read Victoria Boutenko's raw food book and started raw food diet 2
weeks ago. Plan to do so at least for a few months to see if I notice any significant difference in my general well being.

^ I started with paleo a week ago. I don't feel much difference yet that i could pin on the diet.

Would like to hear from others who are on raw foods how they feel and manage to stay on it. I marked three weeks now, and most of the time I fail to see/feel the benefits. I'll try keep going with it, but it is not easy and didn't really find a really good book about it either. All recipes are either cr@p, complicated or there are so many unknown/unavailable ingredients I often just get fed up with trying to find some. Like I bought a dehydrator but never got to use it.

haven't gone into full raw food yet, guess I am hesitating on the side of the pool, but for three weeks I added two fresh juices a day to the diet, also wheatgrass, and the change in my health was amazing. Now I am traveling but as soon as I am back I will try again, and possibly explore raw.
For other food habit changes, for instance going from processed food to non processed food, or quitting sugar, I saw the benefits after maybe 2 or three months. The benefits were huge, especially sugar.
Of course if you enjoy perfect health perhaps you will be less motivated in sticking to it.

PS I read Boutenko's website, and I really didn't like their recipes, so even if the theory is good they don't have good taste in food, I think :D

these look yummier, for example http://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes

http://www.greenjuiceaday.com/30-green-juice-recipes/

or I like Joe Cross' website

PeteBerger said:
Would like to hear from others who are on raw foods how they feel and manage to stay on it. I marked three weeks now, and most of the time I fail to see/feel the benefits. I'll try keep going with it, but it is not easy and didn't really find a really good book about it either. All recipes are either cr@p, complicated or there are so many unknown/unavailable ingredients I often just get fed up with trying to find some. Like I bought a dehydrator but never got to use it.

Hi, PeteBerger.

For about two months I stuck with it using a Vitamix blender to mix a variety of vegetables and fruit, along with some nuts and seeds. I would do this two times daily, making about 4 to 6 cups of smoothie each time (800 to 1000 calories, each). I was able to stick with it partly by making up my own recipes and thus controlling the nutritive value of the smoothie as well as the flavor.

I now occasionally get off for a week or so and then back on for another month, for variety. I have steadily lost weight and I feel a lot better.

Peaches said:
haven't gone into full raw food yet, guess I am hesitating on the side of the pool, but for three weeks I added two fresh juices a day to the diet, also wheatgrass, and the change in my health was amazing. Now I am traveling but as soon as I am back I will try again, and possibly explore raw.
For other food habit changes, for instance going from processed food to non processed food, or quitting sugar, I saw the benefits after maybe 2 or three months. The benefits were huge, especially sugar.
Of course if you enjoy perfect health perhaps you will be less motivated in sticking to it.

PS I read Boutenko's website, and I really didn't like their recipes, so even if the theory is good they don't have good taste in food, I think :D

these look yummier, for example http://simplegreensmoothies.com/recipes

http://www.greenjuiceaday.com/30-green-juice-recipes/

or I like Joe Cross' website

Thanks for the answers guys. Great links. Peaches do you use a special juicer for the wheatgrass , or how do you make juice from it? I can barely fit into the kitchen already don't want to buy a different juicer just to juice wheatgrass...

I have an Oscar 900 single mastication juicer, expensive but much less than the vitamix (also vitamix is a blender so you can't juice stuff with it) and it does wheatgrass as well
The best 340$ I have ever spent
and where I live I found a place that sells you plants of already grown grass, one box lasts for 4/5 times, that's how I decided to give it a go - I wouldn't be able to grow my own grass, but most people are better with plants than me

I actually gained weight because it didn't occur to me that the juice was INSTEAD of meals, not with, but now I use a bender too and that gives me enough "food feeling' to eat less

I must share the blender too because I love it to bits : http://www.domo-elektro.be/Portals/2/images/productnieuws/pancarte blender new.jpg

Peaches said:
I have an Oscar 900 single mastication juicer, expensive but much less than the vitamix (also vitamix is a blender so you can't juice stuff with it) and it does wheatgrass as well
and where I live I found a place that sells you plants of already grown grass, one box lasts for 4/5 times, that's how I decided to give it a go - I wouldn't be able to grow my own grass, but most people are better with plants than me

I actually gained weight because it didn't occur to me that the juice was INSTEAD of meals, not with, but now I use a bender too and that gives me enough "food feeling' to eat less

I must share the blender too because I love it to bits : http://www.domo-elektro.be/Portals/2/images/productnieuws/pancarte blender new.jpg

Oh your blender looks really cool! I have a Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer from TV shop, I guess I will try to use that one for wheatgrass, probably juicing it together with other stuff as I heard it might help to get more juice out from the wheatgrass. I also have a Bosch blender and food processor and a small Magic Bullet Blender. Since I started raw, I use them a lot, before that I haven't really touched them. :D

Btw I haven't really found a place to buy ready made wheatgrass, let alone seeds to start with. Probably gonna order from amazon, as locally really hard to find anything apart from junk food.

Peaches said:

That is an awesome juicer, much better than a centrifugal juicer like the Jack Lalanne. I occasionally use a Lalanne juicer but I would much rather have a masticating one.

PeteBerger said:
I have a Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer from TV shop, I guess I will try to use that one for wheatgrass, probably juicing it together with other stuff as I heard it might help to get more juice out from the wheatgrass.

I would be curious to know how well the Jack Lalanne works with wheatgrass. My own research suggests that a mastication juicer extracts more juice from leafy greens while juicers like the JL are good for carrots and apples and so forth. If you get the chance to try out wheatgrass, please let us know how it goes.

My Lalanne juicer is adequate because I do not use it for leafy veggies. Those I blend so as to keep the fiber. :p

Hey Pete,

I am not fully raw as I find including some cooked foods make me feel better in the long run. I tried going fully raw but it was too costly and I wasn't getting enough nutrition. So I usually would have fruits for breakfast, a salad for lunch and soup or steamed veggies for dinner. A couple of times a week, I'd switch fruits for oatmeal for breakfast and add boiled lentils or beans to my salad. And once or twice a week I'll have a fairly healthy vegan meal like brown rice and some veggie curry or a sandwich. I try to be as clean as possible depending on my budget.

I have seen vast improvements in my health and appearance. My skin has cleared, allergies are gone, I don't fall ill as often, and my energy and moods have also improved.

I do think that when it comes to diet and lifestyle we should experiment amd figure out what works for us. For me, going full raw wasn't as effective as going partially raw and I am happy with that. Hope this was helpful, and good on you for trying to be healthy, its not easy! :)

Latest posts

Back