It may be time for my dog to "transition" or cross the proverbial "rainbow bridge" :(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1andonly1

Reaction score
It's a tough decision and for those who've never had pets, I'd rather not hear the "it's just an animal" or "pet".

In my case, it's the only family I have, the only thing that's been stable in my life for the past 14 years.

Mentally she's very aware and cognitive, however, she's really not eating her favorite treats anymore, her back legs are slowly giving out on her.

I'm sure I've called the vets enough times over the past few days to drive them nuts.

I'm not sure if today is the day, she had a rough night and now she's perked up. But mentally this is just draining and exhausting.

Has anyone gone through this before?

You can PM me or post here, but I would love input on this.

After she's gone, I'll be "lonely" I guess.

My friend's play video games all day (2 brothers), the other admits he has the social skills of a stump (which he does).

I'm trying a dating site just to set up to meet someone as friends, it's been a few days, but nothing yet.

Maybe I'll just post here everyday, seems like a cool bunch.

On a sidenote, getting to reset my password for the past 5-6 months did not work, hence the reason I haven't been here.

Regardless, thanks for reading.

Ugh, yes. :( The first dog we had we were two years old. She lived for 12 years and was on heart medication because our mom did not want to put her down. She was a clever little thing too, just like a kid she hated taking her pills, she'd even find them in her food and pick them out. She died much more tragically sadly.

It's a very hard decision to have to put a pet down especially one you've had for so long. What you have to do though is what is better for your dog. If she's really suffering maybe it is best to let her go.

No suggestions, I just wanted say that i am sorry you and you dog are going through this. Yes, it is very difficult.

When my little cousin's (who was 8 at the time) dog died, I told asked her: "You know when you go into the school library, and you see books with a dog on them, what happens to a lot of those dogs in those books?" and she responded with, they die. And then I asked, "And what do you do then?" And she said read another, it made her fell better, she was just finishing up the story of her dog's life.

Now she took the death of her dog waaaaaaaaaaay better than I did/have. I was 19 and my very first show-dog/partner in crime, got sick on my birthday and died a few days later. I was devastated. People don't get that these guys aren't just are pets, they are a part of our lives. Dogs are always happy to see us and be there for us. Even if we just got done yelling at them for peeing on the floor, they still unconditionally love us. People don't do that.

I breed dogs, and unfortunately have gone through this a bit. I really don't have a fix for it. Sorry. :(

The only dog i ever had, got her when i was just a kid, maybe 7 years old. Me and her were at the bottom of the pack in our house, but after years, my older sister moved out, mum's abusive boyfriend left and mum was in rehab, so it was mostly me taking care of the dog. I took her everywhere with me, to the shops she would sit outside without even being tied up, she would listen to me and stay. In my early teens i started to skateboard and would always have her running around with me. I'd take her with me on my paper round too.

The years went by and she got older, so did i. I got into raves and drugs and started spending less time with her. I was moving into the peak of my physical abilities, as she was slowly moving into the end of hers.

She became the same as yours is now. Went off her food, back legs couldn't support her anymore. I knew when the time had come. She wouldn't eat anything at all and was clearly ashamed of going to the toilet all over herself, as i held her up in the garden while she honeysuckle.

I called the vet who gave her some adrenaline but it did no good. I gave him the ok and he injected her. I held her and pet her and spoke to her calmly while her eyes rolled back in her head, her body went all stiff and she slipped away. Minutes later i realise i'm still stroking a dead animal and watch as the vet put her in a black bag and took her away. Something inside me wanted to stop him, to say "hey, where are you taking my dog?" But i knew she was gone.

I dream about her regularly, 10 years later.

You know when it's time. Don't keep an animal alive if it is suffering. Give it some dignity in death.

I've been sitting here trying to write the story of my beloved cat, Jazz, who I lost back in 2005 - he was 11 years old...and I can't because tears keep getting in the way as I'm typing. His loss was the single most painful thing in my life, more painful than the loss of my grandmother (and I loved her dearly) :(

Let's just say that I completely understand what you're going through, and how tough it is. Trust your heart in this and listen closely to your pet, you will know when it's time. Big hugs, I am sorry that you are going through this...

Please PM if you need to, K?

I am so sorry that you and your dog are going through this. People sometimes don't understand when we say a dog is more than a pet, its a best friend, family...a soulmate even. Just want you to know that I do, and from the posts above, some of the other members do to...so you're not alone in this and if you need support, please do reach out to us.

I lost my previous dog to heart problems and there was a time when he couldn't eat, drink, sleep or even lie down. We knew he was going to go, but we didn't know if we should put him down because he had always been a fighter and for some reason, it didn't feel right. He didn't seem like he wanted to go. But the vet assured us that the medication would work and he will be well enough to eat and drink etc again. We took turns staying up all night for about two weeks until the medication began to work. He couldn't sleep or lie down because of all the fluid retention, so the only way he could rest was if we held him in a seated position to balance him while he napped. Thankfully the meds worked after that and he was normal again albeit slow and unsteady. He died 6 months later.

And eventhough I can never forget him...to me it felt like I had lost a child, I did adopt another dog some months later. All my dogs are rescued animals so it feels like I'm giving another dog the same chance I gave my first one. My new dog will never replace my previous one, but he has definitely helped with the grieving process.

I don't know if that helped in anyway, but if you ever need to talk to someone, please don't hesitate to PM me. And hang in there *hugs*

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through with your dog.

I can totally relate. I had my last cat Mitzie until she was 19 years old.
She became very ill and her back end was slowly giving up. I took her to the vet but couldn't bring myself to part with her so I took her home.
One day I came home and found her in the hall, she hadn't made it to the litter tray as her legs were totally gone.
I knew the time had come to put her to sleep.It was the hardest decision of my life.
We brought her home and buried her in the garden with her favourite blanket toy and food.
She's buried under the bench where I sit to read. I'm happy as I know her spirit is close.
You'll know in your heart when it's the right time as you don't want them to suffer.
**Hugs*** at this sad time

This is something I worry about all the time, now especially because my dog is considered a senior. I don't want to lose Boomer, and every time he goes to the vet it's hard to do much of anything besides mill around and wait for him to come back and find out he's okay. He has such a presence, he is like another human, like a brother to me. I want him to stay in my life.

I have had 2 dogs, and various pet birds. And you're right they aren't "just pets"

the dogs were lost when I was a kid so naturally, since I didn't understand death the way I do now I was distraught. My nan had a boxer dog which she got when I was like 3 years old and was awesome, then when we moved out of my nans when I was 6, we got a German Shepherd rescue.

The boxer - Toby was his name, died quite peacefully and lived about 12 years or so. The rescue was called Holly, we had her for about 9 years, I can't remember how old she was but I think she was a few months when we got her, shes the dog I grew up with. She didn't die peacefully. She spent a couple of weeks having seizures cause my mother couldn't bear putting her down. I had to watch that, and there is nothing more horrible.

It can be a tough decision, but if shes not in any pain, then personally I wouldn't put her down, let her go naturally. If her legs giving out causes her pain then ask whats worse, putting her down or letting her suffer ?

As for dealing with it emotionally...

Some people on here would undoubtedly give a religious view on the situation talk about prayer and stuff, as an atheist I could never do that. So I say consider what happens after death. Consider what we are made of, the most common ingredients in the universe, the stuff in our body came from stars that exploded, these elements came together to form new stars and planets and solar systems eventually leading to life.
The mere chance that all of us including our pets even exist is... well astronomically slim :D
I
n essence, our physical body never dies... it breaks back down into the basic elements we are made of, these elements, still exist and will form new structures, perhaps even more life in the long term, we literately are the universe, we are the universe experiencing itself, we break free from the confines of being inanimate, walk around for an amount of time, then go back again. So does anything truly "die" really ?

To me nothing dies, we literately get reincarnated as new structures. With this in mind I have watched loved ones and pets "die" and its helped me deal immensely with it, to know that they will become one with the earth again in essence, feeding the planet, potentially feeding more life, allowing the universe to continue to experience itself in a sense.

Be happy about all the good memories she's given you, be happy that you have given her a life, animals in the wild usually don't live that long, and certainly don't even get to enjoy treats, as they spend most of their time hungry and in fear of being eaten themselves

Of course I still cry, when my grandad passed I was fine until the funeral, then you realize that you're never gonna see them again and it does hit you hard, but after that I was perfectly fine about it, whilst everyone else was struggling to deal with it. Just give her your full attention in the meantime.

Thanks for all the replies and personal stories, it's insanely hard to deal with an aging "best friend" (I'm a male, so, I live up to the proverbial old adage of "man's best friend". lol

But she took a turn for the better and I've been trying to spend whatever quality time I have with her lately.
Huge road trip yesterday to a conservation park and spent some time there, but she was antsy to walk around, crazy dog. Always on the go, like me.:club:

I've cried more over the idea of losing her than I have with a couple of people who I knew that passed away.
There's something incredibly special about having a dog, cat, whatever pet you have, the bond is different and better. In my opinion ...and a few others that I know and have met over the years.

So thanks for the replies and stories, they helped and made me feel a bit more "normal" whatever that's supposed to mean or feel like.

Minus, thank you for your words. I appreciate it. :)

Sci-Fi, I know, I keep thinking what's best for her, I really do.
But after the suggestion of some new food, she's just devouring it and wanting to go on walks longer and drives, etc.
But I will in the end do what's best for her, I keep thinking it in my head, because she's brought me a ton of joy over the years and I have to remember that when that time comes. Thank you.

Zibafu, she has rear leg issues, but overall and this is what's getting to me.
It's such a very, very, very, fine line right now.

SkaFish, I hope Boomer stays with you for a few more years at least, just give him lots of time outside, exercise. :)

Tulip, I'm sorry about Mitzie, but she's lucky to have a place close to you and home.

Nicole, a friend breeds as well and goes through no doubt what you're going through, you are a special "breed" so to speak to be able to put up with, what you put up with...BUT, the flip~side is fun, lots of happy, furry friends making noise, bothering you, making you smile, jumping on your bed, etc. :)

Ringwood, when I lose my grandmother, I won't be a quarter as sad as I will when I lose my dog. At least we're not alone in being proverbially "crazy". ;) I'm really not looking forward to coming home to a dogless home.
But the friends I have now I met through the dog park, so I guess there's some good that came out of it, but I still feel terrible about it. :(

Latest posts

Back