Can the consequences of loneliness lead to egoism ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebeskii

Reaction score
Okay, I've been kind of egotistic for a while. loneliness faded away somehow. Also my empty void does not exist anymore although those things come to me little by little as summertime gets closer. You know I was totally ostracized by my peers and feeling lonely all the time. Now I have become snobbish, very hygienic. I hate living in my country which is a nation slobs. There are too many people who dresses up poorly and dirty as well as habits of spitting, throwing phlegm out and spreading mucus from nostrils in public areas. I know 60% of people are poor in this country but they all have a money to buy a soap so why do they all look so dirty. Those kind of people totally disgusts that I don't even want to look at. Another thing I noticed is that I'm saying 'hello' not often to my classmates though I know no longer hate them. My school principal told my mom few days ago that I'm acting very condescending and haughty. Also I noticed that I've become more confident and independent which is a good thing right ?. There is something that concerns me. Today, my acquaintance from another school come to my school to meet me. He considers me as a friend so I try to be friendly to him. My classmates tell me that I look very similar to that person. He is ugly, too introverted and humble ( I like him but these are true ). I hate to be compared to someone who looks ugly. I'm kind of obsessed with looking more handsome . Honestly, I feel kind of ashamed to be with him. My classmates make a fun of me when I'm with that person like " where is your ..... " or ' How is your very best friend doing ?. I know no matter what others say I must not change my attitudes towards him and I think it is not because of my classmates. The thing is what I did today kind of made him disappointed. I literally run away from him and said very few things and headed home immediately. It was just very awkward and I did not want to around someone like him. I know how I'm acting is wrong but I don't feel it is wrong. I craved for a companionship and was lonely for 2 years. I'm pretty sure my chronic loneliness made me this way. I did not choose to be this way. It is just how it worked after many days of crying and going through tough times. IDk, any advice to me ? Words like 'underling', 'idiot' has come my common vocabulary words and all I aspire is to become very successful in everything I do and become upwardly mobile.

Wow I can't believe it. You are almost the same as I am.. minus the hygienic part. The thought that you are better than anyone else and everyone else are worthless piece of garbage. In my experience, my loneliness resulted in me couldn't care less about everything and I suddenly have a desire to be stronger and better than anyone else.

Even though the feeling is good for me, deep down I know it's not right. I tried to change little by little, and now I have friends. Not close, but sometimes we hang out together. Back then when I was arrogant, it feels like everyone knows how I feel about them and they stayed away from me. No one would come near me.

To answer your question, loneliness can lead to egotism, but it doesn't apply to everyone. My advice( because I think I'm worse than you, you should try asking a different person) is that try to think positive thoughts. People are friendly towards you when you do the same. And never ever let arrogance get the better of you. Be humble.

I constantly catch myself having degrading thoughts about other people and the only solution to fight this rising elitism or egoism was to beat myself down constantly by rating my own thoughts and actions on a much more rigid scale than I would rate others.

It's strange to scold yourself for all kinds of bad behavior while you're making excuses for everyone else for the same behavior - phrases like "They don't know any better, but you should" or "They were raised up in a different way" cross my mind on a regular basis. Not every action is excusable but this set of mind keeps me from ranting and overcriticizing all day long. I'm not in the position to judge other people's actions - as long as they don't directly interfer with mine at least.

I try to stay down-to-earth to some degree though this whole process of undermining myself is probably unhealthy for my self-esteem in the long run. But I'd rather be this way. I'm afraid of noticing my slow development into some self-rightous elitist prick sitting in a mental ivory tower.

^^^ **sighs**

The trick is not to downgrade yourself to stop yourself from being over-critical of others.

The trick is to love others as you love yourself. And that can be the hardest thing - to actually, truly love yourself.

If you do not truly love and accept yourself, then basically you have no real love to give to anyone. At all.

And that's how you get into all ^ that stuff....

Surcruxum said:
Wow I can't believe it. You are almost the same as I am.. minus the hygienic part. The thought that you are better than anyone else and everyone else are worthless piece of garbage. In my experience, my loneliness resulted in me couldn't care less about everything and I suddenly have a desire to be stronger and better than anyone else.

Even though the feeling is good for me, deep down I know it's not right. I tried to change little by little, and now I have friends. Not close, but sometimes we hang out together. Back then when I was arrogant, it feels like everyone knows how I feel about them and they stayed away from me. No one would come near me.

To answer your question, loneliness can lead to egotism, but it doesn't apply to everyone. My advice( because I think I'm worse than you, you should try asking a different person) is that try to think positive thoughts. People are friendly towards you when you do the same. And never ever let arrogance get the better of you. Be humble.
Thank you for advice. Wow I did not know there is someone who was in the same situation as mine.

jaguarundi said:
^^^ **sighs**

The trick is not to downgrade yourself to stop yourself from being over-critical of others.

The trick is to love others as you love yourself. And that can be the hardest thing - to actually, truly love yourself.

If you do not truly love and accept yourself, then basically you have no real love to give to anyone. At all.

And that's how you get into all ^ that stuff....

Thank you. I get your point. It took much thoughts to understand what you really meant. :)

Rodent said:
I constantly catch myself having degrading thoughts about other people and the only solution to fight this rising elitism or egoism was to beat myself down constantly by rating my own thoughts and actions on a much more rigid scale than I would rate others.

It's strange to scold yourself for all kinds of bad behavior while you're making excuses for everyone else for the same behavior - phrases like "They don't know any better, but you should" or "They were raised up in a different way" cross my mind on a regular basis. Not every action is excusable but this set of mind keeps me from ranting and overcriticizing all day long. I'm not in the position to judge other people's actions - as long as they don't directly interfer with mine at least.

I try to stay down-to-earth to some degree though this whole process of undermining myself is probably unhealthy for my self-esteem in the long run. But I'd rather be this way. I'm afraid of noticing my slow development into some self-rightous elitist prick sitting in a mental ivory tower.
I guess I have something very important to learn from you. Your perspectives are brilliant. Thank you for sharing it.

Kind of a scary thought, but I am glad you posted it. Because I HAVE had this happen a lot lately. I know I walk around constantly going "idiot" and rolling my eyes at people. It is strange, I don't think I am inherently better than people but sadly it truly feels like 90% of people around me are taking a turn for the stupid. Might it actually be that people are getting stupid and because we are lonely and not distracted we are better able to notice?

I don't feel like I am overly critical of others. I feel like we all used to be at an 8 on a scale of 10 and now, many are at a 6 and lower.

But it is interesting... my boss is very ego oriented and he has for 10 years walked around calling everyone an idiot and it does fit with the idea that the more he thinks people are idiots and is taken over my his ego, the more lonely he is and more isolated he is because no one wants to be around him. Makes me think more charitably about him.

I'm sorry to hear your social experiences have led this way and judging from the information you've given and also doing a bit of reading on your post history I get the impression that your social experiences are threatening to leave you affected in a negative way.

I'm going to try to point at the root causes of your problems because I don't believe you'll make positive changes just by simply adding a behavior you are not exhibiting naturally.

You need to look at why you think the way you do. Why do you value looking 'handsome' as you say? Is appearance really so important? Making the best of what you got is great but obsessing over it to the point where you would avoid a good friend because of it isn't right. The importance of looks is hard to discard, because in high school and from your social environment it certainly appears that people care about it. The popular kids are usually the ones with good looks but as you get older you realize this is not the case and looks hardly matters in the world of success whether it's financial or social. Look at some of the most successful people of our time and you'll see proof of this. Oprah Winfrey was told she was 'unfit for tv' (due to her appearance) and she proved the tv network wrong. Charisma is defined by strength of character and social skills not by physical appearance.

So ask yourself again is looks really important? If all you're looking forward to is success in life you may want to challenge this internal belief and then find that you were wrong to judge your friend based on their appearance.

The next problem you have is that you've been rejected socially and this has created a hole in your self esteem. You've lost faith in yourself because of what you're experiencing, and I'm going to say it's ok. I've been there too, I've been rejected, bullied etc but you shouldn't be looking for reasons why you're better than the people who rejected you. Not everyone starts as a social butterfly, and with social experience in high school, it's hard to decide how much you really did wrong. Just looking different or thinking different is enough to be discriminated by others in this setting.

So I'm going to try to help you with something important I learned from meeting someone who I thought was amazingly attractive personality wise. She taught me to seek the positives in everything.

And I'll start by telling you the good thing about what you experienced now is that it forced you to re-evaluate your situation and seek a position of strength. You've been driven to succeed harder because of your plight. This is a rare quality so be proud you developed it. You just need to tweak it so you don't end up worse than you were before.

You're going to want to re-establish social connectivity and on your pursuit I think you'll want to pick up humility and empathy along the way.

To be humble you need to acknowledge that you don't know everything and you certainly don't know why people are the way they are. You'll acknowledge that each and every person has the capacity for heights that you may not reach in different fields of expertise and in knowing so you'll have respect for them and see the qualities that define these people. We're all human, we all have the capacity for greatness in our own unique way.

To learn empathy you need to imagine being in their shoes and adopt their beliefs even if you don't agree with it just to see what it feels like. In doing so you'll understand them better and hopefully treat them with more respect than you did before.

If you equip yourself with these qualities I have no doubt your social experiences will improve and hopefully when you reach university your experiences will change as you self correct and follow a path that isn't negative.

Of course it does.
As a loner, the person you interact most with is yourself. You're the only one caring for yourself, so it is vital to have a good opinion about your own person. That's how you begin judging everyone else and you become harsh towards people with a different behavior than yours. That grows in time until you feel you are an uncrowned king and no one is worthy of you. That also comes with two opposite drives: the one to make money and nothing more (in the process crushing everyone as revenge for leaving you prey to loneliness), or the one to lose interest in everything and become apathetic. Both of these drives are expressions of the Ego which had to be augmented enough to make up for the others ignoring you. By ignoring I mean not having any business with you in a manner that would show they like or love you, that they appreciate your person, not your utility. That they acknowledge your existence.

Zett said:
I'm sorry to hear your social experiences have led this way and judging from the information you've given and also doing a bit of reading on your post history I get the impression that your social experiences are threatening to leave you affected in a negative way.

I'm going to try to point at the root causes of your problems because I don't believe you'll make positive changes just by simply adding a behavior you are not exhibiting naturally.

You need to look at why you think the way you do. Why do you value looking 'handsome' as you say? Is appearance really so important? Making the best of what you got is great but obsessing over it to the point where you would avoid a good friend because of it isn't right. The importance of looks is hard to discard, because in high school and from your social environment it certainly appears that people care about it. The popular kids are usually the ones with good looks but as you get older you realize this is not the case and looks hardly matters in the world of success whether it's financial or social. Look at some of the most successful people of our time and you'll see proof of this. Oprah Winfrey was told she was 'unfit for tv' (due to her appearance) and she proved the tv network wrong. Charisma is defined by strength of character and social skills not by physical appearance.

So ask yourself again is looks really important? If all you're looking forward to is success in life you may want to challenge this internal belief and then find that you were wrong to judge your friend based on their appearance.

The next problem you have is that you've been rejected socially and this has created a hole in your self esteem. You've lost faith in yourself because of what you're experiencing, and I'm going to say it's ok. I've been there too, I've been rejected, bullied etc but you shouldn't be looking for reasons why you're better than the people who rejected you. Not everyone starts as a social butterfly, and with social experience in high school, it's hard to decide how much you really did wrong. Just looking different or thinking different is enough to be discriminated by others in this setting.

So I'm going to try to help you with something important I learned from meeting someone who I thought was amazingly attractive personality wise. She taught me to seek the positives in everything.

And I'll start by telling you the good thing about what you experienced now is that it forced you to re-evaluate your situation and seek a position of strength. You've been driven to succeed harder because of your plight. This is a rare quality so be proud you developed it. You just need to tweak it so you don't end up worse than you were before.

You're going to want to re-establish social connectivity and on your pursuit I think you'll want to pick up humility and empathy along the way.

To be humble you need to acknowledge that you don't know everything and you certainly don't know why people are the way they are. You'll acknowledge that each and every person has the capacity for heights that you may not reach in different fields of expertise and in knowing so you'll have respect for them and see the qualities that define these people. We're all human, we all have the capacity for greatness in our own unique way.

To learn empathy you need to imagine being in their shoes and adopt their beliefs even if you don't agree with it just to see what it feels like. In doing so you'll understand them better and hopefully treat them with more respect than you did before.

If you equip yourself with these qualities I have no doubt your social experiences will improve and hopefully when you reach university your experiences will change as you self correct and follow a path that isn't negative.
Wow. Thank you posting this. You really helped me to look from a different perspective. I truly appreciate your post.

AnotherLonelyGuy said:
Of course it does.
As a loner, the person you interact most with is yourself. You're the only one caring for yourself, so it is vital to have a good opinion about your own person. That's how you begin judging everyone else and you become harsh towards people with a different behavior than yours. That grows in time until you feel you are an uncrowned king and no one is worthy of you. That also comes with two opposite drives: the one to make money and nothing more (in the process crushing everyone as revenge for leaving you prey to loneliness), or the one to lose interest in everything and become apathetic. Both of these drives are expressions of the Ego which had to be augmented enough to make up for the others ignoring you. By ignoring I mean not having any business with you in a manner that would show they like or love you, that they appreciate your person, not your utility. That they acknowledge your existence.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Latest posts

Back