Women's clothing. Kill me now.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2349

Reaction score
I am so sick of walking into a store and not being able to find something as simple as an ordinary, form fitting, comfortable t-shirt. This article sums up the rage.

I'm thinking about buying a small sewing machine & altering men's tshirts, because I have HAD IT UP TO HERE with shopping malls and thrift stores and the black hole that is my closet. Anyone here already do that, or make your own clothes?

also, can we please gather all of the long, skin tight tank top cami things and burn them /endrant

Um... I have very little experience in buying womens clothes... erm... but yeah, I support you, I guess! :p

Agreed. Plus - add in problems in finding stuff that is suitable for my age i.e isn't intended for an anorexic 18 year old, without being something only a granny would wear (and both of mine have been dead nearly 30 years).

I don't know what kind of stores you guys have around you or where you shop online, but I have no problem finding appropriate clothes for my age or more accurately, in my case, how I choose to dress.

jaguarundi said:
Agreed. Plus - add in problems in finding stuff that is suitable for my age i.e isn't intended for an anorexic 18 year old, without being something only a granny would wear (and both of mine have been dead nearly 30 years).

I'm sorry, but just because a girl is thin does not mean she's anorexic. That comment was (in my opinion) distasteful and disrespectful to anyone here that has an eating disorder.

TheRealCallie said:
I don't know what kind of stores you guys have around you or where you shop online, but I have no problem finding appropriate clothes for my age or more accurately, in my case, how I choose to dress.

jaguarundi said:

I'm sorry, but just because a girl is thin does not mean she's anorexic. That comment was (in my opinion) distasteful and disrespectful to anyone here that has an eating disorder.

I'm certain Jaguarundi didn't mean anything like that :) I think she's referring to how extreme fittings seem to be, from the ridiculously skin tight to the frumpy bag lady look. You dont generally see ladies in their 40s, 50s, etc, wearing this :p
0729-age-launch-credit.jpg

Also Callie, it's great that you don't seem to have trouble finding clothing that makes you feel comfortable- it's really tough on the self esteem when you want to start looking nicer, but can never find clothing that fits. If it's been years of being unable to dress the way you want to, you start seeing yourself differently, not generally in a good way.. at least, that's my experience.

altghost said:
Also Callie, it's great that you don't seem to have trouble finding clothing that makes you feel comfortable- it's really tough on the self esteem when you want to start looking nicer, but can never find clothing that fits. If it's been years of being unable to dress the way you want to, you start seeing yourself differently, not generally in a good way.. at least, that's my experience.

Oh, I wouldn't say I feel comfortable in anything I wear, because I have issues with my body, but I am able to find many items that are in between way too tight and way too baggy.
Now, in stores like Hot Topic or Aeropostle, you will find clothes more geared toward younger people, but even there, I find several items that would be okay for older people. Now, I don't shop there for myself, but I do shop there for my niece and often try things on for her (presents from my mother or grandmother) to ensure that they will fit her.
But, you have to remember that clothes are typically made to fit what is average, so if any part of you is not average (whether it's bigger or smaller) than you will have issues finding things. Personally, I like the longer shirts because I have a longer torso.

Do you shop online for clothes? I know you can find a lot more, in the way of what you are looking for, online than you can going to a store in your area.

TheRealCallie said:
But, you have to remember that clothes are typically made to fit what is average, so if any part of you is not average (whether it's bigger or smaller) than you will have issues finding things.

That's the problem, lol! And even if something does fit, there are numerous factors that make for a pretty high chance that a garment won't be right. Fabric's too thin & shows underwear lines. It's too short, it's too tight, baggy, long, everything fits fine except one area, the colour happens to be neon orange, the cut doesnt look right, it has a stupid saying on it, it slips up or down, ETC ETC.

It has nothing to do with, in my case, feeling uncomfortable with my own body. If there's something off about nearly every garment I find, and I'm not intrinsically a puzzle master adept at piecing together my wardrobe on an infinite budget, it gets to be a problem-- which ends up making you feel pathetic, since clothing is a quite trivial matter in life.

TheRealCallie said:
Do you shop online for clothes? I know you can find a lot more, in the way of what you are looking for, online than you can going to a store in your area.
Shopping online is just like shopping for clothing offline, except you have a wider selection of things that you can't try on in person to make certain they fit. And if you buy it, you have to pay for shipping regardless of whether you keep it.

I agree with Altghost I don't think Jags meant anything like that either.

Here in the UK I have great difficulty in finding clothing for my age group.
I don't want to dress like my daughter or my granny.
There is nowhere on the high street for a lady in her 50's to buy something decent to wear.
It's all either low busted tops/frocks or items barely covering your modesty.

I can sympathize with the women here. As a man, I am taller and thinner than the average male. Therefore, when I buy shirts, my chest and stomach would be deemed a Medium, but if I bought a Medium sized shirt, the sleeves would end awkwardly around my forearms. I've had to compromise by buying Large sized shirts which have the sleeve length, but have too much fabric around my torso.

The only way I can get the sleeve length and my torso size to match my body is to have my shirts custom-fitted. It's highly annoying.

I buy the 8 dollar shirts from Walmart. Got a whole bunch of them. So, regular clothes are out there somewhere near you.

I wouldn't really say there is an "anorexic" style. Like Callie said, if you bigger or smaller than average in certain spots then finding clothes will be harder for you, but it's still possible.

There are jeans that are short, regular, long. There are even t-shirts made for long torsos, as well as clothing stores that specifically sell certain clothes...plus sized, petite, etc.

I am considering making my own clothes. My trouble is three-fold: personal style, fitting issues and where I live - Firstly, I don't wear pants/jeans at all, just skirts and dresses; secondly, I'm a bit of odd size, so finding clothes that actually fit as they should can be frustrating; and thirdly, I live in a very small town where there are really no stores to choose clothes from - the closest bigger town is over 3 hours away - I do love thrift stores and there is one here, but again, trying to find second-hand clothes in a style I like and my size is next to impossible. I shop online sometimes, but still run into the sizing/fit issues.

Anyway I like bohemian style clothes, peasant skirts/tops, that sort of thing, so sewing that style of clothing is fairly easy. I think I will make a few skirts for myself as a start and see how I go.

Solivagant said:
I agree, I have this issue too! But jeans are the worst.

Ugh, yes. Finding jeans a short girl with no butt, and a hint of a belly is difficult. And if I lost my belly, it still wouldn't matter, my legs would still be big.

When I find a store that has clothes that fit, I buy multiple pairs of jeans, even if they are the same.

It depends on the quality of clothing too. Shopping at Walmart is one experience but to buy stuff that fits in a high quality .... more fashionable store is quite different. Some times just finding things that fit isn't good enough.

ringwood said:
I am considering making my own clothes. My trouble is three-fold: personal style, fitting issues and where I live - Firstly, I don't wear pants/jeans at all, just skirts and dresses; secondly, I'm a bit of odd size, so finding clothes that actually fit as they should can be frustrating; and thirdly, I live in a very small town where there are really no stores to choose clothes from - the closest bigger town is over 3 hours away - I do love thrift stores and there is one here, but again, trying to find second-hand clothes in a style I like and my size is next to impossible. I shop online sometimes, but still run into the sizing/fit issues.

Anyway I like bohemian style clothes, peasant skirts/tops, that sort of thing, so sewing that style of clothing is fairly easy. I think I will make a few skirts for myself as a start and see how I go.

Good for you. I used to sew a bit although not so much now. I think being able to make things for youself is a wonderful skill. Whatever you do don't start off with any stretchy fabric, - stuff like t shirting - its not easy to work with. Good luck:)

Latest posts

Back