VE Day

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguarundi

Reaction score
Today in France it is a Public holiday, in remembrance of of VE Day - which for anyone who does not know, is the day WW2 officially ended in Europe.

As I usually do, I wandered past one of the two war memorials here, and spent a minute in silence while the commemoration went on, the wreaths laid, the band playing.

Whether or not one believes in that or any other war, I thought it might be good for all of us to remember those people who sacrificed, and who still sacrifice, whether in the armed forces or not.

So for all of them....

I would echo Jaguarundi's words. I'd like to thank those that gave their lives and those that suffered, so that I can have the freedoms and quality of life that I enjoy. Thanks.

I was just watching a documentary of the breakout from the Normandy beachheads. I will take some time today to reflect on the sacrifices of the many men and women to bring an end to the war in Europe.

My Mum lost 4 brothers (one a long term foster brother, but he WAS a brother, if you get my meaning) in WW2, and her youngest sister died some time after of complications of TB contracted almost certainly in the conditions prevalent in public bomb shelters.

My first real job was in the administration of war pensions to disabled veterans, most of whom were from WW2. The things I saw in the files (the Japanese POW ones especially)... I sometimes wonder if any of us these days are prepared to do what some of those ordinary men and women did.

I hope we never, ever have to find out.

I can't imagine what it must be like to lose your family members in that way. We owe a big det to those who gave their lives.

It must have been horrendous to lose family members during the war.
My grandfather fought in the war and survived but he was never the same when he came back home.
We certainly do owe a huge debt to those that lost their lives.

I'm glad it didn't go the other way, and I'm glad there isn't a big conflict like that in our time. I can't imagine how scary it must have been to get drafted. I hope I never have to experience that.

^I think people just sort of - got on with it. I suppose they had no choice, so we have to be thankful to them, that we do have one.

Latest posts

Back