A bad relationship cycle

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
When you think back about people who were significant in your life... back in high school or even prior to that, you often wonder how their life turned out.

Me and another girl used to be pretty good friends when we were younger, in fact we grew up briefly in the same street and our mothers were friends. We went the same schools and was always "going out"; our mothers would joke how we were a good match and it was inevitable from the silly relationships of young minds where you plan to grow up and get married together to our early teens in high-school. It was around our mid-teens where she simply vanished, she stopped coming into school and I wondered what had happened. At this time the no longer lived in our street but had moved years prior.

Fast forward 4 maybe 5 years when I left school, was in college and unbelievably I saw her working in a toy shop in our very town, we instantly got talking and she explained about how her family had split up and had to move towns and also how she had got abused all while we were going out by her own father. We got to current affairs and she had a kid with the most possessive boyfriend, I felt pretty sad for her about how things were. She seemed to be stuck in this "relationship" and also seemed clueless about her future. I made regular visits to this toy store to see her since this was the only time I could due to her boyfriend, but times were short since other staff constantly watching her speaking to me. Predictably after a while she "got caught" pregnant again, a little while after that she vanished, again.

I couldn't believe about 5 years later I bumped into her yet again not far from where I lived, she was alone but didn't look so well. We got chatting again and this time told me about her horrid relationships with abusive and useless guys, she was with another useless one as far as I could tell. He was "the jealous type" but was "OK"... oh and she's now got 5 kids. This time she liked to also chill on the weekends by smoking marijuana with her new boyfriend, Phil; I'm not normally good at remembering names like that but I can still recall the image of the hideous tattoo of his name on her arm. I asked her why she had gotten this done and she shrugged and said "he asked me to". I gave her my number and told her to call if she wanted to chat, but typically she said she rarely had money on her phone. She also told me not to call her in case her boyfriend sees. She seemed to want to talk but was on a time limit while this guy was at home, she had only gone the shop.

We didn't talk much after that, only on the very rare occasion we met out & about - of course if she was with this guy she'd completely ignore me. More recent times I've discovered how her kids have been taken into care because she can't cope, also her new boyfriend doesn't want anything to do with her kids and is only interested in her. What kind if a person is this?

Since this has happened I just can't stop thinking about her and how her life panned out, I feel completely helpless. She seems to just give into whatever comes her way, what makes someone constantly get into bad relationships with scum? To be manipulated and used? It seems like the same cycle over and over. You just expect someone like her to have good prospects in life and end up with a good guy, I suppose I just find it sad for her and I wish there was something I can do, but I fear things won't improve and this will be her life. One disastrous relationship after another, until what?

http://www.rainn.org/get-info/effects-of-sexual-assault/adult-survivors-of-childhood-sexual-abuse

Extract from the above website:

While each individual’s experiences and reactions are unique, there are some responses to child sexual abuse that are common to many survivors:
Low self-esteem or self-hatred
Survivors may suffer from depression
Guilt, shame and blame

.. ... ...

Revictimization
Many survivors as adults find themselves in abusive, dangerous situations or relationships.

Woman who were sexually assaulted before the age of 18 [are] twice as likely to report being raped as adults.

I am sorry if your question about why she would do this was rhetorical, but as soon as I saw she had been sexually abused as a youngster, this was the answer that instantly sprang to my mind.

9006 said:
She seems to just give into whatever comes her way, what makes someone constantly get into bad relationships with scum? To be manipulated and used? It seems like the same cycle over and over.

I tend to point to self-esteem and identity as some of the more common issues in general. Someone who doesn't see themselves in a positive or forgiving light may see little reason to deny bad people space in their life, and might in desperation turn to anyone who offers validation and comfort (even if it's push-pull or extreme like possessiveness) to "fix" things.

Unfortunately, it's not something someone can rescue another from with the exception of calling in domestic abuse if you overhear it or getting someone in touch with a helpline. Don't beat yourself up over the path your old friend wandered down. Until someone decides things aren't really okay and it's possible to have a better life, that's the life they'll keep building for themselves and the people they'll keep filling it with.

Supposedly, adults who were abused as children may find the familiarity of the same kind of treatment easier to live with than trying to break out and adapt. There's something called traumatic bonding, and on Wikipedia it states:

The bond is stronger for people who have grown up in abusive households because it seems to be a normal part of relationships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_bonding

Abuse is a pretty complex topic that there's quite a bit of research on.

Latest posts

Back