scared, worried, sad, angry...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyS

Reaction score
The biggest obstacle in my life (so far) is here. Last week my mom was diagnosed with leukemia. Don't really know what more to tell... I was with her when the doctor told the results. First came the shock which is now some what disappeared. Now i'm just mostly worried and scared. And angry at life!

I was lonely before, but now it's pure torture. My friend told me i should go to one of those support groups. Maybe i will at some point, but at the moment i don't need so much to talk to people. I'd need to have someone to hold me and comfort me. The nights are the worst, your brain just won't stop and you keep thinking about the worst case scenarios and there's no-one to share the pain.

The worst part of this is that i'd need to appear optimistic and positive especially in front of mom. I'm not so sure i can...

Oh MY :( I am very sorry to here that. Makes my problems seem silly now.

You can be honest with your mom you know. I think she would wont that. The thing that most ppl don't realise is when a person is ill there family sometimes suffer moor then the person that's ill. When I was a kid I think at that time my mum and dad probably did suffer moor then me. After all I was the one that was getting looked after by all the doctors and nursers where as my mum and dad did not.

I think your friend made a very good suggestion to you. Its OK to be angry at the world right now. When its sunk in a bit maybe go to that group then.

You do know that your mom has a very good chance of being OK. Modern medicine has improved and is always improving and with the support of you and the rest of her family there is no reason why she should not be just fine. You well fight this and you well win. You have to think this way to win something like this. Try and remain positive and as I say I think to go along with what your friend said is a great idea :)

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I do wish you and your mother the best.

oh gosh, don't know what to say.....
did they prescribe any treatment?

I'm so sorry, leukemia is awful.
One of my best friends was diagnosed with leukemia in 6th grade.
We didn't see her for the rest of the year after she told us, and she missed a ton of school in 7th grade too.
In 8th grade she was around a bit more, but never more than 4 days a week.
She looked terrible all the time, it was heartbreaking because she was always the kindest person, even when she was so sick.
But then, at the end of middle school, the cancer was gone.
It took almost three years of chemo, but she was healthy again.
After that she went to a different high school so I don't see much of her, but she's still one of my biggest heroes.
It's just awful how these things always seem to happen to the people that deserve it the least.

((((((((((((Lilly)))))))))))))))
So sorry about your mom, dear. I know it is a very scary time for you and mom. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to become knowledgeable about leukemia. You can read about it on the web and if you can, be there when mom goes to the doctor so you can ask questions. Knowledge is empowering and it can be
comforting to know what is going on. Your friends suggestion of a support group is a great idea. You learn all kinds of stuff and it helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing.

I think Bluey is right. You can be honest with mom. I think she would want that too. Please let us know how things go. I will keep you and mom in my prayers. ((((((((((((((Lilly)))))))))))))))) hugs to you.

I am so sorry about your news. I think this may be something for all of us to consider...in many ways how lucky we all are to be fit and healthy...yes we all have problems...and these problems can overwhelm us...but there are others in the world who are suffering more than us.

I think many of the people who have already posted are spot on. Try and find out more and become as knowledgeable as you can. You will understand more of what your mom is going through and this will make you become that strong, brave person that you think you can't be. You will be because you know your mom would be for you. Yes you may be hurt, upset and angry inside but your mom will know that.

Qui is also right...there are many people who face this medical challenge daily and hundreds survive. With the right treatment and with all the love, support and determination that you will give your mom can get through this. So can you. And if you need any of us you know that we are all here for you.

Thank you all for your support...

Mom was diagnosed on the 4th and went into hospital the 5th. The chemotherapy started right away. The first chemo end tomorrow and then there's three weeks before the next treatment begins. She still has to be in the hospital for those three weeks 'cause the cell levels are so low and all that... But if everything goes well, she can go home for a few days, before they start the second chemo. I don't know if this makes any sense to you, i could tell you more about it in finnish. :)

I have been reading about leukemia on the web, but there isn't much information, in finnish anyway. If you'd want to know the specifics you'd have to know medical vocabulary. But i think i'd have to ask from the doctors. Especially from one of the doctors, who is really hot! ;) Hey, girl needs something to cheer her up...

Oh, one more thing which i really don't understand. My grandmom (dad's mom) has the almost same disease. Only her leukemia is chronic when mom's is acute. In this case chronic means that my grandmom could still live for years and she only takes pills and doesn't need hospital care. Still really severe condition. Two of the best, nicest and kindest people i know and they both have it!

I'm glad that i have my little brother whom with we're close and my only friend who has paid more interest in me since i told her about mom. And maybe this will be the point where me and my dad can get closer. I think we should try, at least for mom's sake.

Latest posts

Back