Loss of hair

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dear-_-Tragedy

Reaction score
I have been aware that for some time now my hair on the top of my head & fringe have been depleting. I'm trying to come to terms with it but I find it hard when people start reminding me of it with snide remarks. It's not as bad when lads say it because it's more of a bantery thing but when girls say it then it upsets me. The truth hurts but it's nice to know why no girl wants to be with me. ugh I want my hair back :( :(

I can imagine how this would effect someone. But I wouldn't put all the negative down to the fact that you're loosing your hair, if it's something that will bother you so much I've seen things like sprays that thicken your hair to minimize it.

I started receding in my 20's. It made me look ugly and silly.
I get jokes now or insults.
Nothing I can do about it.

Personally I find bald men highly attractive. My current celebrity crush is Inspector Montalbano (or rather the actor who plays him, I suppose). He cannot be described as having a lot of hair. . . he ain't muscle bound either.. But phew, hot hot hot!

9006 said:
I can imagine how this would effect someone. But I wouldn't put all the negative down to the fact that you're loosing your hair, if it's something that will bother you so much I've seen things like sprays that thicken your hair to minimize it.

Oh dear god, not the sprays- they're terribly obvious even to me.

I'd write a list of everything someone said to me that hurt my feelings and write snappy comebacks that I could drop at a moment's notice to build my confidence.

Example Remark: "Wow. Your head is as shiny as a cue ball. Ha ha."
My Response: "Actually, I use it to blind my opponents while playing pool. It's my super power. Works every time."

If it's a girl who says this to me, I'd choose a flirty response. I'd smile, say the same as above and add, "Let's play. I promise, I won't use all of my super powers against you." (Of course, this means there should be easy access to a pool table.)

If the girl is just being mean to me, I'd say something like, "Oh, you KNOW you want to touch it, but I won't let you," and just walk away smiling.

Anyway, change every joke made at your expense into an opportunity to show that you can both take a joke and dish one out. If you practice, you'll have a sure-fire, split second comeback for most remarks, and you'll feel better about yourself in the long run.

Good luck.

I get sick of having hair and usually shave it all off once a year or so. For all you guys out there with shiney cromes, you can actually buy a matte finish aftershave for your head if you're the type that likes to go full bic on it!

Piece of advice, no one likes the look of someone who is balding. But being fully bald is just fine. I suggest to the OP that you finish the job and embrace it. You'll love it after awhile.

Limlim said:
Piece of advice, no one likes the look of someone who is balding. But being fully bald is just fine. I suggest to the OP that you finish the job and embrace it. You'll love it after awhile.

No no no, some of us don't have the head for it.

I'm going for the comb-over instead.

A lot of people just think they don't have the head for it! Also ugh, comb overs! Terrible!

I slowed hairloss starting in 2003 with beta-sitosterol. dutasteride would be the most effective but there are also supplements. if hair grays prematurely it could be a copper deficiency but thats a likely assumption rather than a blood test to prove it to be on the safe side. copper has nothing to do with hairloss, thats the graying issue, for hairloss, any supplement called a Prostate formula may work. This is because those are 5-AR inhibitors to lower DHT.

a formula with 15 mg or less of zinc is preferred on a full stomach, as zinc causes nausea unless its 15 or less on a full stomach, be careful of that when choosing one

tone303 said:
I slowed hairloss starting in 2003 with beta-sitosterol. dutasteride would be the most effective but there are also supplements. if hair grays prematurely it could be a copper deficiency but thats a likely assumption rather than a blood test to prove it to be on the safe side. copper has nothing to do with hairloss, thats the graying issue, for hairloss, any supplement called a Prostate formula may work. This is because those are 5-AR inhibitors to lower DHT.

a formula with 15 mg or less of zinc is preferred on a full stomach, as zinc causes nausea unless its 15 or less on a full stomach, be careful of that when choosing one

I have found B-12 supplementation increases the rate of hair loss. Why it would do this, though.. I have no idea. But it definitely works that way, for me.

Just shave your head, bonus that comes with it - not having to mess around brushing or combing in the morning! :D

When someone comes up with this problem, there are always some people who suggest to shave completely and go bald.
But not everything fits to everyone. Not every person has a head shape or a face that does fit to being bald.
I am suffering from hairloss myself and I don't think my face fits to the bald "hairstyle", besides I couldn't imagine myself being bald at my young age. Maybe it fits better in 20 years.

To the op: You should go visit a doctor and ask him if he has some ideas. There are some medicines that can fight hairloss. But there is no guarantee that the medicine will really work. Every person reacts different to that.
The only thing that works for sure would be a hair transplantation, but that is really expensive.

I know that it is difficult to face this problem (especially at a young age), but hair isn't everything. If someone doesn't like you or isn't interested in you because of your hair, then this person must be really superficial. I personally wouldn't want to be friends or want to be in a relationhsip with someone who is so superficial.

So its the Prostate Formulas, that are also for hairloss, if you ever order anything nature to slow or halt hairloss. something for hairloss is rarer but would have the same materials as Prostate formulas.

Dutasteride is superior and has a very long half-life of 5 weeks in the body, but this is a hasle to order internationally, and the few domestic sources are very high price. Otherwise you need a prescription & it somehow covered by insurance.

Whats nice about Dutasteride is that it inhibits both forms of 5-Alpha-Reductase and even once a week dosing would still work to drastically lower DiHydro-Testosterone (DHT), due to its long half life

We dont need loads of DHT, we already have T, testosterone, and therefore Dutasteride and prostate formulas are not feminizing of men. its better to have less DHT and our Testosterone metabolizing via all the other pathways.

But far more interesting than this is Neuropharmacology. I studied NeuroPharma & bio-psychiatry for 15 years & sometimes chat with the world's smartest philosopher in human history on the phone.

It is interesting that I am forced into isolation but then someone ultra-smart likes long phone chats with me. There is nothing autistic about me. I don't have any panic attacks about sometimes going off topic on a particular thread on a forum, and no one else should suffer a panic attack from that, but i can say more in another thread & stop here.

And I too hate my thinner hair ! What i have is the even distribution of thinning on the top area. I suppose that might be better than a bald spot.

Dexter said:
If someone doesn't like you or isn't interested in you because of your hair, then this person must be really superficial. I personally wouldn't want to be friends or want to be in a relationhsip with someone who is so superficial.

The uncomfortable truth is that you probably wouldn't find bald women as attractive. Yes some women say they like baldness, but I can't help thinking sometimes it's one of those kind, motherly type statements.

Another problem with shaving your head, aside from not having the head shape, is that you'll have to do it regularly. Together with shaving your beard this is quite a lot of time spent on personal grooming.

Latest posts

Back