Favorite Quote from Favorite Book

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you are into reading books... My favorite book is "moby dick"... And out of the entire book, my favorite line is, ""He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." I've heard different versions of it & one version I liked was "As he piled onto the great white whale's hump with all the rage & hatred felt by his entire race, as if his chest has been a cannon, he'd fire his heart upon it"...

What's your favorite book & a memorable line from it?

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones :)

My favorite book ever is "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao"

So many good quotes from that book. ****, just making this post makes me want to read it again.

"Dude, you don't want to be dead. Take it from me. No-pussy is bad. But dead is like no-pussy times ten."

"In a better world I would have kissed her over the ice trays and that would have been the end of all our troubles. But you know exactly what kind of world we live in. It ain't no ******* Middle-earth. I just nodded my head, said, see you around, Lola, and drove home."

"That’s life for you. All the happiness you gather to yourself, it will sweep away like it’s nothing. If you ask me I don’t think there are any such things as curses. I think there is only life. That’s enough."

"It's never the changes we want that change everything."

Such a sad book though. :(

"The only casting directors who’d be willing to call Tommy in on the basis of this headshot were the ones curious about what it was like to be murdered.”
― Greg Sestero, The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

"Your hair looks like donut" ― Tommy Wiseau, The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

"Don't be jealous, I'm not your competition" ― Tommy Wiseau, The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

"Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship." -The Dhammapada

"Sometimes I think life would be so much easier if we didn’t have to think about being boys or girls or men or women or old or young, fat or thin… if we could all just be certain we were the same. We might be bored, but the danger of life and of living would be gone."

"I just feel that sometimes I am better company only to myself, because of what is happening in my life, than I am or would be to anyone else."

"Falling in love is like holding a white flag out to your enemies and saying, “we give up, we’re in love.” Love is surrender."

"I think of death these days as a companion I long to meet."

- The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, as seen by Jennifer Lynch

“All human wisdom is contained in these two words - Wait and Hope”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

"He who is lawless is free. Necessity and time are conventional phenomena. Without hypocrisy or fear ye could do as ye wish. Whosoever, therefore, shall break the precept or live its transgression shall have relativity of Heaven. For unless your righteousness exist not, ye shall not pleasure freely and creatively. In so much as ye sin against doctrine, so shall your imagination be required in becoming.

It has been said without wit: "Thou shalt not kill." Among beasts man lives supremely-on his own kind. Teeth and claws are no longer sufficient accessory to appetite. Is this world's worst reality more vicious than human behaviour?

I suggest to your inbred love of moral gesture to unravel the actual from the dream. "

- Austin Osman Spare, The Anathema of Zos

I have tons of books I love. One quote is from Jurassic Park, Ian Malcolm says: "I find it liberating. I believe my life has value, and I don't want to waste it thinking about clothing" He was talking about only wearing black. Why would you care about how you look, you have bigger impacts on life.

I also love Tina Fey, and in her book Bossypants, Lorne Michaels told her when she was on SNL that "It's not done because it's perfect, it's done because it's 11:30." That's my motto now with lesson plans.

“Centuries ago, sailors on long voyages used to leave a pair of pigs on every deserted island. Or they'd leave a pair of goats. Either way, on any future visit, the island would be a source of meat. These islands, they were pristine. These were home to breeds of birds with no natural predators. Breeds of birds that lived nowhere else on earth. The plants there, without enemies they evolved without thorns or poisons. Without predators and enemies, these islands, they were paradise.
The sailors, the next time they visited these islands, the only things still there would be herds of goats or pigs.
Oyster is telling this story.
The sailors called this "seeding meat."
Oyster says, "Does this remind you of anything? Maybe the ol' Adam and Eve story?"
Looking out the car window, he says, "You ever wonder when God's coming back with a lot of barbecue sauce?”

~Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby

One of my very favourite books, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing."

sk66rc said:
I don't know how many of you are into reading books...  My favorite book is "moby dick"...  And out of the entire book, my favorite line is, ""He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."  I've heard different versions of it & one version I liked was "As he piled onto the great white whale's hump with all the rage & hatred felt by his entire race, as if his chest has been a cannon, he'd fire his heart upon it"...

What's your favorite book & a memorable line from it?

I very much enjoyed your signature.  Made me smile. Thanks.

Don`t think it was my favorite book, Baise Moi.
One character described another as something like, "An encyclopedic person with no skills or talent.".
Stuck with me or a while.

Latest posts

Back