How important are looks, to you ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not that important. I don't like tattoos or scruffy women. Smiles go a long way. Nice dress sense. Nice hair, sensible make up.

Triple Bogey said:
not that important. I don't like tattoos or scruffy women. Smiles go a long way. Nice dress sense. Nice hair, sensible make up.

I'm not, in any way, saying you can't say that you don't like tattoos. That is your right and I know many people that feel the same way.

But, I always ask them the same thing...Why don't you like tattoos?

Also, if you met a girl that you liked and then found out she had a tattoo, would that be a deal breaker? Or even one that you could see when you met her, would that deter you from getting to know her and dating her?

I would just like to go on record for murmi that I also appreciate small boobs.

...And tattoos

That is all, carry on!

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

I'm not, in any way, saying you can't say that you don't like tattoos. That is your right and I know many people that feel the same way.

But, I always ask them the same thing...Why don't you like tattoos?

Also, if you met a girl that you liked and then found out she had a tattoo, would that be a deal breaker? Or even one that you could see when you met her, would that deter you from getting to know her and dating her?

just think tattoos are ugly especially when you can see them. On arms etc. I suppose small discreet ones aren't that bad.

I wouldn't reject a woman just because she has a tattoo.

Limlim said:
I would just like to go on record for murmi that I also appreciate small boobs.

...And tattoos

That is all, carry on!

Personally I don't much like men with boobs even if they are only small ones. Or men with tattooed boobs, come to think of it.

I think it could be just the way you are wording things.

"Chest like a board" "Jacked up teeth" That's a pretty mean way of wording the features of someone that you would like to be with.

Looks are important to everybody, anyone that says otherwise is a lier.

Small boobs are the tits!

Perhaps in some cases a part of the psychology in being in a relationship with someone who has, let's say, a certain "ethnic fetish" is the security one may feel in being that ethnicity. For example if this Mountain Stomper sees a Mexican girl say how she adores white dudes and will only date white dudes, then that may rule out some of his fears about a culture clash or feeling a bit alienated when the two of them are together around Mexican men. He may then feel safer with her going to parties and whatever with male Mexican friends, because he knows she is not attracted to them.

This is just my speculation though.

Of course there is a huge difference between being with someone because you have a fetish for their certain appearance, and because you love who they are. I don't think it's wrong to have both, though. Very lucky in fact :) Hey you're a beautiful person and I think you're amazingly physically attractive! It may not be because of your heritage but it adds to it!

I'm always trying to see people as people. Not genders or race, but, well, people from different parts of the world often have certain physical features that are really attractive. I would not be involved with a woman who I thought was stunningly beautiful in the physical sense but ******* ugly in the personality department. Although to be honest, I do sometimes judge books by their covers, but not in the negative way. It's more like I will think a person looks beautiful and then after talking with them for a bit, I find out I was right, and they actually are beautiful, in all senses of the word. I don't really believe in "ugly" people - if you have a beautiful soul it will reflected in your features somehow, even you are considered physically unattractive by trashy media magazines or people with ugly souls, even if you think you are ugly yourself, if you have good qualities they will be shown in your eyes or your smile or your body language, whether you see them or not.

Everyone is beautiful in some way. Personality comes first for me always, but if I like your personality then I will also think you are physically attractive.

I think it's understandable to seek something a bit different from the norm, too. Carefully not objectifying a partner of course, but if you look at it from the point of experiencing something new and exciting to you, something where you will have a lot to learn from and to teach each other. Just be careful also not to put people down for not being a part of your interest or desire for certain types.

I'm not sure if I said this very well I need to eat and I don't write so well when I'm hungry :p

"I'm not attracted to Asians." Well, what's wrong with Asians? Nothing.
"I don't like peanut butter." Well, what's wrong with peanut butter? Nothing.
I don't like abc and xyz. Nothing is wrong with abc and xyz.

I agree with kamya that the preferences could have been reworded.

EDIT: To note, you can take my "compatible" personality and transport that personality to a different body (a body that I do not find attractive) and I can tell you that I would not be with that person.

Also to note, disfigurement from non-choice incidents (accidents, aging) can't be lumped in the same factor.

EDIT2: It's one thing to not like apples, but it's another to say how oranges are better than apples. You might not be saying that oranges are better than apples, but that's how people are reading it. And to those reading it, not everyone with an opinion thinks that abc is better than xyz just because [they] don't like xyz.

I would be lying if I said that physical attributes weren't important in some way.
I am definitely attracted to certain types of women physically. Some "races" fit better into that type than others.
If someone shows interest in me and I am not initially attracted, I would still give said person a chance. Sparks may negate the initial lack of attraction.

It doesn't seem fair - especially since I am not particularly attractive myself - but it is true.

Mountain stomper said:
Not at all ? That's great ! Then why not go drag that stinky little troll out from under the railroad bridge ? He / she might like a date ? ;) LOL JK

Mountain stomper said:
I know their are people who really don't care about looks.... and these are probably the same people who have blank walls in their homes.... who will flip through a photo album, not even slowing down enough to take in the full beauty of even one beautiful photo.

Mountain stomper said:
It's quite obvious that some people are simply not stimulated by vision, the way that many other people are (almost always artistically inclined).

There's a point where joking about something stops feeling like joking because a) it's unpleasant and b) the person just keeps finding ways to slip comments in and make insinuations. It's like two schoolboys where one keeps making comments about the other being a woman, a homosexual, a sissy, etc, when he does more feminine things, but deflects criticism and blame for making him feel bad by saying he's only joking and stating opinions about things.

Well I think they are important but certainly not as important as personality.What matters in a long term relationship is trust,respect and the kind of bond you find in a great friendship.

I wouldn't choose my partner based entirely on looks but looks would definitely play a part.

I don't think anyone can say they rely on personality alone when it comes to dating because looks play a huge part in the beginning.We are automatically attracted to good looking people.I'm more likely to approach people that I find beautiful.If their personalities don't suit me then I just move on.

Unless they invent a device that lets you see what somebody's personality is like from 5 meters away looks will matter. (imo)

Regumika said:
Also to note, disfigurement from non-choice incidents (accidents, aging) can't be lumped in the same factor.

I'm asking this as a general question for someone that is so concerned with looks.

Jazzbird said:
Unless they invent a device that lets you see what somebody's personality is like from 5 meters away looks will matter. (imo)

This device is called the internet :)

Most of the people I become close to these days (as friends or as lovers) I actually have no idea what they look like until I've already decided they're beautiful.

Are looks important? I would say yes, but the thing of is that different people like different things. Different people are turned off by different things. I like bald guys, some women won't. And so on.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Whilst I might think a guy is pretty, it does not mean that I would lust after him any more than I would after a marble statue, or indeed, as the OP said somewhere, after a painting on my wall.

I am an adult, not a teenager. I need personality as well as the looks I like. Which are not by the way for some beefcake Mr universe, nor anything like it...

I'm one of the few men that really doesn't place much emphasis on a woman's looks. In fact, the sexiest, most complete woman I ever knew was just an average looking woman, with an average figure that most guys wouldn't even give a second glance, but my god she had an amazing mind. One of the few women that could make me laugh, constantly thought outside the box and was intriguing to be around. She was ten years older than me and had a snarky, sarcastic quality that could rival any 20-something. Then, could quickly shift gears and display a wisdom beyond her years. She was absolutely amazing. I haven't seen her in nine years but still think of her, from time to time, and wonder what she might be up to.

beautiful loser said:
I'm one of the few men that really doesn't place much emphasis on a woman's looks. In fact, the sexiest, most complete woman I ever knew was just an average looking woman, with an average figure that most guys wouldn't even give a second glance, but my god she had an amazing mind. One of the few women that could make me laugh, constantly thought outside the box and was intriguing to be around. She was ten years older than me and had a snarky, sarcastic quality that could rival any 20-something. Then, could quickly shift gears and display a wisdom beyond her years. She was absolutely amazing. I haven't seen her in nine years but still think of her, from time to time, and wonder what she might be up to.

This ^....totally agree. I've always thought that, ultimately, the mind is the sexiest organ ever. Meet someone on the same wavelength as you and....BOOM!!...mere superficial looks cease to exist. One of my husband's good friends is like this - he and I are just completely in tune with each other's minds, even to the point of finishing each other's thoughts...haha, my husband teases me that if I'd met Steve first, he wouldn't have even been a second thought...:p

painter said:
Most of the people I become close to these days (as friends or as lovers) I actually have no idea what they look like until I've already decided they're beautiful.

That's a lovely sentiment painters radio! 😌

beautiful loser said:

This is a lovely story, do you think you could ever reconnect with her? If that's what you want?

With so many single females here.... the reason why you're still single is due to the fact that there just aren't any men out there with a beautiful mind? If, a beautiful mind is all it took.

EDIT: Then, lets do a simple "tally" with just simple numbers, no specifics (no names). How many males on here do you have a crush on? That you think has a beautiful mind?

Regumika said:
With so many single females here.... the reason why you're still single is due to the fact that there just aren't any men out there with a beautiful mind? If, a beautiful mind is all it took.

EDIT: Then, lets do a simple "tally" with just simple numbers, no specifics (no names). How many males on here do you have a crush on? That you think has a beautiful mind?

Hey Regumika

Is this directed at me?

Latest posts

Back