How important are looks, to you ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it'd hard to be attracted to someone who physically disgusts you, that's pretty much where the line of how much looks matters ends for me. Of course aesthetic pleasures are things most people enjoy, but they aren't so important.

I think looks are more important than people realize or at least more than they lead on... Everything else being equal, I believe most people will go for the "better looking" one... Of course the term, "better looking" is a very subjective term... What I find attractive, someone else might find repulsive... Whatever the definition of someone's "attractiveness" is, or that certain look, that's what they're drawn to...

If a handsome man would come by and clean the bathroom and kill spiders in the house, I would be all set. :)

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
If a handsome man would come by and clean the bathroom and kill spiders in the house, I would be all set. :)

-Teresa

What if the handsome guy, who loved animals, took the spiders outside and set them free, would that be OK? If so, I'll be over and bring some takeout ;) :p

beautiful loser said:
SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

What if the handsome guy, who loved animals, took the spiders outside and set them free, would that be OK? If so, I'll be over and bring some takeout ;) :p
All that, and takeout? Sounds good to me! :D :D

-Teresa

I'd like for a women that I meet to be reasonably attractive, however I'd go for personality over looks any day because being 'attractive' doesn't necessarily mean that you have a great personality which as a result could mean a poor attitude/perspective and/or way of living their life.

Personally, flowers make my day. They don't have to be roses either. I often buy less expensive ones for my desk at the office. The lift my mood.
A little off topic, but I was tossing in my two cents from when the thread was on the topic of flowers.

Looks aren't a big factor to me. And yes, my walls are pretty plain. Leaves room for potential :)

Besides, it's not really how they look during the day..It's how they look once zombified in the morning :cool::p

The perfect little lady would have a slim build, good teeth and a hop in her step.

I think looks are the first hurdle.
If I find her attractive, the next hurdle would be if she's single.
If she is single, then the next hurdle is her kindness.
If she's kind, then the next hurdle is her intelligence and how she uses it.

This goes on and on until a variety of mental boxes are checked and I form an attachment to her only after spending a good deal of time with her. Then, I might actually fall in love with her.

But, without that initial physical attraction, I could consider the other hurdles, but it would only amount to a friendship.

To consider being in a relationship with someone, I must be sexually attracted to them. It might sound very shallow, but looks aren't the only thing that count for me. I am more attracted to a guy who can make me laugh and hold an interesting conversation than I am attracted to a guy with a six pack I could laundry on, if he's too stupid to keep a good conversation going.

Looks matter, of course, but not too much.

TheSkaFish said:
Looks are important to me. I like girls who are conventionally pretty, but with their own unique spin on it. There are lots of girls out there who certainly aren't ugly, but a lot of them look more or less the same. I want someone who is pretty and doesn't look like anyone else.

This is not to say that looks can make up for a lack of personality though. I'd like a unique personality as well. I want someone who will fascinate me, I want someone whose conversations will make me happy. Looks and personality to me carry equal weight. I want someone who stands out from the crowd.

I agree with this.

Case said:
I think looks are the first hurdle.
If I find her attractive, the next hurdle would be if she's single.
If she is single, then the next hurdle is her kindness.
If she's kind, then the next hurdle is her intelligence and how she uses it.

This goes on and on until a variety of mental boxes are checked and I form an attachment to her only after spending a good deal of time with her. Then, I might actually fall in love with her.

But, without that initial physical attraction, I could consider the other hurdles, but it would only amount to a friendship.

I like this way of thinking, and this is the process I go through as well. We all have our checklists. It just happens that physical appearance is the easiest factor to consider.

sk66rc said:
I think looks are more important than people realize or at least more than they lead on... Everything else being equal, I believe most people will go for the "better looking" one... Of course the term, "better looking" is a very subjective term... What I find attractive, someone else might find repulsive... Whatever the definition of someone's "attractiveness" is, or that certain look, that's what they're drawn to...

I believe this to be true. Two people with "passing" personality/mind, one would choose the more attractive one. I think we need to clarify that when people say "attractive" in this thread they probably mean "not disgusted." For me, I'm not looking for a drop-dead gorgeous celebrity, I'm just looking for someone that doesn't make me go "ugh" and any [more] physical attractiveness than that is just a bonus.

And I think for those that say "looks don't matter" really means "looks don't matter - as long as I'm not disgusted."

I have personally never looked at a person and thought that they were disgusting. I've found a lot of beauty in other people by seeing them simply as people.

Note, I've also ran into bad attitudes that way, but that's another story :)

JustSomeGal said:
I have personally never looked at a person and thought that they were disgusting. I've found a lot of beauty in other people by seeing them simply as people.

Yeah, I think a person's attitude has far more power to make me feel repulsed than their physical appearance.

Bob Arctor said:
JustSomeGal said:

Yeah, I think a person's attitude has far more power to make me feel repulsed than their physical appearance.

Completely agree Bob.

Give me a warm smile, a witty mind and a kind soul and I'm happy man. Looks can fade in an instant. I've met angels that act like demons and found pure hearts hidden behind unusual appearances. Everyone had something but only a rare breed have everything.

Regumika said:
And I think for those that say "looks don't matter" really means "looks don't matter - as long as I'm not disgusted."

What if someone's not disgusted by anyone? To me, for someone to say they're disgusted by how someone looks is very harsh. Pretty, ugly, whatever you want to label someone as, they're a living, breathing body with feelings.

VanillaCreme said:
Regumika said:

What if someone's not disgusted by anyone? To me, for someone to say they're disgusted by how someone looks is very harsh. Pretty, ugly, whatever you want to label someone as, they're a living, breathing body with feelings.

Then my statement still stands. You simply don't have anyone that qualify as disgusted. Okay, when I say disgusted I mean it makes you take a step back. Stepping back based on physical appearance is no different than taking a step back from a certain personality that you don't want to associate yourself with. Like someone that is super judgmental, obnoxious, and selfish. "whoa, hang on, I need to get away from this."

Latest posts

Back