I feel like I only have one friend

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artmusiclove7

Reaction score
So my best friend is this girl who's known me since I was really little and I love hanging out with her. I can completely be myself when I'm around her. Lately, I have been trying to be less shy and start paying more attention to other people as friends. But I still feel like this girl is my only real friend sometimes. Anyone feel that way too?

I sometimes feel I have only two friends. Making new friends does seem to be more difficult as I get older.
At the same time, I know that there are people on this site who have no friends so I am glad to have the ones I have. I don't mean this last comment as a criticism in any way-I just remind myself that things could be worse.

I have always been a quality over quantity person when it comes to friends. However, I have realised since two good friends died, one or two moved away and another is thinking of doing so, that I must try and put myself in the way of meeting more people.

If not then I really will be very much more alone than I am now.

Also, when I was younger I didn't always cultivate friends, it was easy to think, well that annoys me, I am not going to bother with that person any more. Looking back on it I really regret that in some cases, and I would never advise dumping friends for little reason. It's one of the habits that can lead to being lonely, and no one is perfect, let alone me!

In real life, I only have a few friends. I'm okay with that, I'm not out to be in a popularity contest, I don't care how many friends I have, as long as the ones I do have will have my back and support me through whatever, the same as I do for them.
Partly because most of the friends I did have didn't feel like coming to ME when they wanted to hang out and I just don't have the time any more to go to them all the time.

That said, I do have quite a few friends I met online, who, quite honestly, I consider to be some of my closest friends, even though I've never met them.

Yep. I felt the same when I did have friends irl.
Then I'd rather have a few real friends in my life than many friends that I can't feel connected to. In my humble opinion, true friendships take time to develop and to be maintained. That's why I think it is not possible for a person to have so many true friends.

Being more social definitely helps with finding new friendship opportunities and my humble advice is to never feel disheartened by the ones that doesn't work out.

Then you have one more friend than I do. I'd be immensely thankful to have even one good friend.

Maybe you can ask your friend to introduce you to her other friends? Keep trying. Building a true friendship takes time. *hugs*

I only have 2 close friends that I share everything with but its hard as one lives quite far away and work always gets in the way. I often think it would be nice to have a larger group of friends but I don't think I would have the same closeness with lots of other people. Im just glad that the friends I have will always be there for me and vice versa even if we aren't in contact for a while.
Ive thought about joining a club or getting a hobby to get out there and meet new people but my shyness always gets in the way. If you are able to do that then its a good way to meet people and make new friends.

What is wrong with having "only" one or two good friends?
It is of course okay to want more friends ... but some people don't have any good friends at all.

edamame721 said:
Maybe you can ask your friend to introduce you to her other friends? Keep trying. Building a true friendship takes time. *hugs*

This is a really good idea.

Latest posts

Back