Do you live with a clean freak?

• Thread starter Animelover10102
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Animelover10102

I live with a clean-freak, and it's my grandma. And let me tell you, it is the most annoying thing to live with. Don't get me wrong, I like a clean house as much as the next person, but every. single. time. she comes home, she begins nagging, and that nagging doesn't stop until she leaves.

I'm a clean-freak too, but I'm a lazy one. Whenever I clean, my OCD kicks in as well, and if those salt and pepper shakers aren't next to each other, lined up, handles facing the same direction, I will fly across the room to do just that. But I don't go and be boisterous about it. I don't constantly nag people with my cleanliness.

Just today, I went downstairs to talk to my grandpa, and BAM, my grandma interrupts saying how since it's summer, we need a "cleaning" schedule and stay on top of cleaning. And then my grandpa decided to join in with yelling at me. Wth? This school year has been particularly stressful for me. We had to move out and move in with her, since we don't have enough money to buy our own house, the house is full with dogs, a cat, and almost 10 people. It's difficult to stay on top of cleaning when you have that many living things in a house. I thought that maybe I could get a bit of a break this summer, but nope. Never. My stress levels are so high, I'm surprised it hasn't killed me yet. I'm clenching my jaw so hard it hurts, I can't stay asleep, or focus on one thing for a certain period of time, it screwed up my speech because I'm starting to slur words now, and I don't even care anymore. I'm basically not taking care of my body like I should. I can't even enjoy things I like anymore. Going out? Nope. Reading? Nope. Drawing? Nope.

I'm surprised no one has noticed how stressed I am. Whenever someone like my grandma begins talking to me, my happiness goes straight out the door, and I swear, I get the most annoyed, and angry looked on my face, all while staying silent, so I don't start cussing her out. I'm good at staying silent, but I don't know how much longer I can do that, because I have a feeling I'm going to go berserk soon.

My dad was a neat freak. He hated it when I would leave my shoes by the door. Now that I live on my own, I put my shoes where ever! :)

When I can't stand it anymore, I clean, but not like my dad.

I completely understand what you're going through. I lived with my step-mom for three years and not only was she a clean freak, but she was a control freak and a very hatful person. I understand now that she had been married to an abusive alcoholic for 17 years who had later died, and the house was the only thing she could control for most of her life, so she had become militant. But at the time, all I could feel was deep anxiety. And she worked from home, so that made matters worse. She would stomp around the house all day every day, stress herself and everyone else out, cleaning and never getting any work done, then freaking the fresia out on me because she was so far behind. My heart would pound in my chest rapidly all day and I felt terrible. I was never suicidal before that, but there were many times when I went to the garage, picked up a gun, and almost pulled the trigger. I didn't care about dying. I just wanted to kill myself to show her how much I hated her. I guess I was hoping the suicide note I always carried with me would break her down and make her feel so guilty she would kill herself too. Then the world would be free.

One day when she was yelling at me for two hours and rabbit trailing, I walked away, packed my things in twenty minutes, and left. I was homeless for nine months, living in hotels half the time and sleeping in my car the rest. The elements changed me, but from the second I left that house, I was no longer suicidal. Every night I spent shivering and broke and starving, I smiled grateful for the fact that she no longer dictated my life. People like that are scum. My advice to you is to get out immediately. If you have any friends or family you can stay with, go and stay with them. When people make the shift from damaged to toxic, they cannot be redeemed. They have to die alone.

If you need to talk, please PM me. I can help you.

I am a messy person and I annoy every single person I live with. You can imagine my frustration when my first college roommate was a clean freak. She got SO ANGRY at me once because I ate a bowl of cereal before class and I left my bowl and spoon in the sink for a few hours. I was running late and she ended up washing the dish for me and then getting all mad that I "left my dishes for her to do." She would leave annoying passive-aggressive notes everywhere. Once, she got really mad that our other roommate and I took a week off of bigger chores during finals week. I HATED HER SO MUCH. WE WERE ALL 18 and she was like an annoying old lady. She also considered any kind of decoration to be "mess." So, we had no personal items in public areas or she would throw a fit about it.

I am a messy person, who could probably use a clean freak for a day or two. Can I borrow your grandma?

JustSomeGal said:
I am a messy person, who could probably use a clean freak for a day or two. Can I borrow your grandma?

Take her, I don't want her.

raincloud said:
I am a messy person and I annoy every single person I live with. You can imagine my frustration when my first college roommate was a clean freak. You got SO ANGRY at me once because I ate a bowl of cereal before class and I left my bowl and spoon in the sink for a few hours. I was running late and she ended up washing the dish for me and then getting all mad that I "left my dishes for her to do." She would leave annoying passive-aggressive notes everywhere. Once, she got really mad that our other roommate and I took a week off of bigger chores during finals week. I HATED HER SO MUCH. WE WERE ALL 18 and she was like an annoying old lady. She also considered any kind of decoration to be "mess." So, we had no personal items in public areas or she would throw a fit about it.

I know your feels. My grandma is the same way. One bowl. 3 months of complaining. And I'm not exaggerating on the 3 months part. She won't be satisfied until the WHOLE village knows your mistake. Even if that takes 3 months to do.

I sort of am the neat freak, lol. I say neat, not clean. My room isn't dirty but I don't dust and vacuum very frequently or anything. In fact I always wait too long to dust. But my room is very organized. Everything has a place, and it goes back there when I'm done with it. My movies and games and books are in alphabetical order in their respective locations. Nothing on the floor randomly, ever, for any period of time.

edgecrusher said:
I sort of am the neat freak, lol. I say neat, not clean. My room isn't dirty but I don't dust and vacuum very frequently or anything. In fact I always wait too long to dust. But my room is very organized. Everything has a place, and it goes back there when I'm done with it. My movies and games and books are in alphabetical order in their respective locations. Nothing on the floor randomly, ever, for any period of time.

I'm the same way too. Neat freak, OCD, and stuff like that. But not to the point where the house smells like bleach. My grandma does that often to the point where I can smell it from upstairs.

Hmmm....let's see, quick glance around me: bits of my kid's Lego all over the floor mixed with random fluffballs from our cat; a good, healthy layer of dust on my bookshelves and entertainment unit; crumbs all over my dinner table and the floor hasn't been swept yet; dirty dishes sitting on the kitchen counter; laundry piled on my couch that needs to be folded and I know there's a load of wet laundry downstairs that needs to go in the dryer; clothes all over the bedroom floor on hubby's side and our made is not made...

Yep...Think it's safe to assume I am not a clean freak. Thank the heavens my hubby isn't either - I could never live with a clean freak, nor could a clean freak live with me. Bad things would happen. :)

I feel sorry for both you and your gran, though mainly (90%) for you. When will you be old enough to move away to college? Could you get a parttime summer job so that you have some hours a day away from the house? And could you say you have private study to do and disappear to the local library for a couple of hours a day, even if you only stay there a shrt while and spend the rest of the time out walking or looking round the shops?
It sounds as though your gran is highly stressed out as well by having so many people in the house, so maybe her clean freakiness has gone into overdrive because of the 'chaos' she thinks is going to happen as a result. Could you all sit down and decide how the housework should be shared out?

I'm pretty balanced between clean and messy. But I am also an *******.

If my grandparents had started yelling at me that way, I would have opened a bag of chips in front of them, dumped them on the floor while staring at their faces, and drank in their misery.

Limlim said:

If my grandparents had started yelling at me that way, I would have opened a bag of chips in front of them, dumped them on the floor while staring at their faces, and drank in their misery.

lol :club:

Animelover10102 said:
I live with a clean-freak, and it's my grandma. And let me tell you, it is the most annoying thing to live with. Don't get me wrong, I like a clean house as much as the next person, but every. single. time. she comes home, she begins nagging, and that nagging doesn't stop until she leaves.

I'm a clean-freak too, but I'm a lazy one. Whenever I clean, my OCD kicks in as well, and if those salt and pepper shakers aren't next to each other, lined up, handles facing the same direction, I will fly across the room to do just that. But I don't go and be boisterous about it. I don't constantly nag people with my cleanliness.

Just today, I went downstairs to talk to my grandpa, and BAM, my grandma interrupts saying how since it's summer, we need a "cleaning" schedule and stay on top of cleaning. And then my grandpa decided to join in with yelling at me. Wth? This school year has been particularly stressful for me. We had to move out and move in with her, since we don't have enough money to buy our own house, the house is full with dogs, a cat, and almost 10 people. It's difficult to stay on top of cleaning when you have that many living things in a house. I thought that maybe I could get a bit of a break this summer, but nope. Never. My stress levels are so high, I'm surprised it hasn't killed me yet. I'm clenching my jaw so hard it hurts, I can't stay asleep, or focus on one thing for a certain period of time, it screwed up my speech because I'm starting to slur words now, and I don't even care anymore. I'm basically not taking care of my body like I should. I can't even enjoy things I like anymore. Going out? Nope. Reading? Nope. Drawing? Nope.

I'm surprised no one has noticed how stressed I am. Whenever someone like my grandma begins talking to me, my happiness goes straight out the door, and I swear, I get the most annoyed, and angry looked on my face, all while staying silent, so I don't start cussing her out. I'm good at staying silent, but I don't know how much longer I can do that, because I have a feeling I'm going to go berserk soon.

Wait, nevermind, everyone in this house is an a-hole when they clean J-J We cleaned the house today, and that made Gramzilla happy. Then she left without helping >:|

Limlim said:

You, sir, need a good whippin'.

polls_paddle_2337_584009_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

I never lived with a clean freak, but I dated one who was also a germaphobe, and it was a nightmare.

I actually agree with George Carlin's take on germs:

"...what do you think you have an immune system for? It’s for killing germs!
But it needs practice... it needs germs to practice on. So listen! If you kill all
the germs around you, and live a completely sterile life, then when germs do
come along, you’re not gonna be prepared. And never mind ordinary germs,
what are you gonna do when some super virus comes along that turns your
vital organs into liquid sh**? I’ll tell you what you’re gonna do... you’re gonna
get sick, you’re gonna die, and you’re gonna deserve it cause you’re f**king
weak and you got a f**king weak immune system!"

JustSomeGal said:

No no, you don't want her grandma. She would nag you on how unclean you are, then tells you how to clean and proceeded to nag until she watches you clean on your own. When you are done cleaning, she would enjoy the beauty of all your hard work without telling you how good of a job you did.

Regumika said:
JustSomeGal said:

No no, you don't want her grandma. She would nag you on how unclean you are, then tells you how to clean and proceeded to nag until she watches you clean on your own. When you are done cleaning, she would enjoy the beauty of all your hard work without telling you how good of a job you did.

Exactly. LOL

Except she wouldn't enjoy the beauty. She would clean over what you did because you didn't "do it right".

Case said:
I never lived with a clean freak, but I dated one who was also a germaphobe, and it was a nightmare.

I actually agree with George Carlin's take on germs:

"...what do you think you have an immune system for? It’s for killing germs!
But it needs practice... it needs germs to practice on. So listen! If you kill all
the germs around you, and live a completely sterile life, then when germs do
come along, you’re not gonna be prepared. And never mind ordinary germs,
what are you gonna do when some super virus comes along that turns your
vital organs into liquid sh**? I’ll tell you what you’re gonna do... you’re gonna
get sick, you’re gonna die, and you’re gonna deserve it cause you’re f**king
weak and you got a f**king weak immune system!"

After cleaning the house today, and having to touch wet, and nasty garbage that fell out the trashcan, it's safe to assume I am some what of a germaphobe now. *shudders*

Latest posts

Back