Whats the worst thing someone could tell you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
Whats the worst thing someone could tell you when your down?
For me it's "Everybody has problems." Someone told me that one time and I just wanted to rip out his aorta....lol Boy, did that make me mad...lol

When I'm down the worst thing to tell me is "don't be desperate, everything will be ok". I know without any words that later or earlier everything will become ok. and when i'm down i often say jokes.

Never had anyone say it, but I guess something like "suck it up, stop whining" would really crush me. If I told my father about my feelings I'd probably hear something like that

mine used to be "you could do [whatever] better"
but i now i got it all worked out
i dont let people see when im upset and nobody really tries to notice, so they leave me be

People who are feeling down don't need to be TOLD that things will get better! Their chances are usually about 50/50 that it will be better and you can't possibly know. All you can do is lend them support in their time of need. Personally, I won't blow sunshine up anyone's ass. I tell it like it is (with tact, of course, no reason to deliberately hurt feelings). I'd much rather someone be HONEST with me! Example...OK, you think your life sucks. I'm sorry you feel that way. What can I do to help? Do you need me to just listen while you vent? Whose ass would you like me to kick? Do you need a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Munky?? Need to borrow my American Express? That's what people who are down need to hear. I think it's best to draw the focus from the problem, especially if it's something that they have to work out on their own.
I guess if someone told me to suck it up or to stop whining, I'd be seriously tempted to do them bodily harm, because they're OBVIOUSLY suffering from cranium-rectal disorder. *rolls eyes*

It makes me upset when people argue with me... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tried to confide in someone that I was feeling down, or especially since I moved that I just can't seem to make friends... And people'd tell me that I'm doing it on purpose because I dress funny or that I'm just trying to sound "emo"... For me, that's the worst...

I hate when people say I'm emo! Duuude, I'm so not emo! rofl.
The worst thing someone could tell me? It really makes my day when people complain loudly about having to be around me. But most stuff like that I just laugh it off and make fun of them for being rude.
I hate when people make fun of me for being upset, I get that from my parental unit quite often. I mean, I'm sure it's funny. I'm so pathetic, and it's all hormones. I think hormones are stupid too. So, I know that nothing I feel ever means anything because it's just hormones, I don't feel bad ever I just think I do. I know that, but I don't need the constant reminders that everything I am is just a mass produced waste of space. I already know that, duh. I hate when they mae fun of me for that stuff as though it's something I can control. The only thing about me that isn't controlled completely by chemicals are the words that I say. But it bugs me when people ignore that to make fun of me for how I feel. Because it's not like I say how I feel, that's stupid. What I feel is just chemicals, who cares about that anyway.

I sound like I've been completely brainwashed, but that's ok because I'm the one that did it. I hate when people say that.

Naleena said:
Whats the worst thing someone could tell you when your down?
For me it's "Everybody has problems." Someone told me that one time and I just wanted to rip out his aorta....lol Boy, did that make me mad...lol

You should realize that when someone says a thing like that it just means that they are really stupid and have no true emotion or knowledge to give to you.

This happens A LOT. Why? Deep down people don't give a ****. Some people may even be happy to see you down and that makes them feel better.

Microsoft, Apple, or some other company should make a program, record, or movie for you to watch that will display someone telling you the same bullshit that you hear when you need a good pick me up. Empty words and phrases like that belong to the real fakeness that should be operated by the machines we use.

When you are down there are so many things you want to hear...but sometimes the reassurance you receive can do you more harm than good. To be honest I think we are all guilty sometimes of telling others that things will be okay when we know that things are likely to get much worse before they get better.

The worst thing for me is hearing a piece of music when I am down...those of you that have seen the Day After Tomorrow...if I want to have a cry then that always sets me off...the opening piece of music...or the theme to Schindler's List.

That is just me though.

Sometimes it is better if we say nothing...a hug or an arm round the shoulder tells you that people are close when you need them.

Did I answer the question lol?

I think its worse when if they say nothing. i mean what can kind of sympathy can u expect from someone? Whats it matter what they say, so long as they are by your side whats it matter. I could never get angry at someone thats trying to sympathise with me no matter how many cliches they use.

Porman said:
I think its worse when if they say nothing. i mean what can kind of sympathy can u expect from someone? Whats it matter what they say, so long as they are by your side whats it matter. I could never get angry at someone thats trying to sympathise with me no matter how many cliches they use.

Hello Porman,
I don't believe we've met yet. :) You do bring up a very valid point. If a person is truely by your side in a careing way, it doesn't matter. They are open to witnessing what you are going through. We all need to be seen and heard. That is what I call "witnessed."
But sometimes when you go to people for support and they blow you off by some cliche, it really sucks.

Nice to meet you. Hope to see you around :)

Naleena

i kind of hate it when someone says,SMILE ! it cant be that bad ..
i just think,ahh how would you know lol

I hate when people tell me that whatever I'm feeling is just hormones.
i.e. "That's just your hormones talking."
Honestly, shut up.
So what if I'm a hormonal hurricane? Get over it.

I hate it when people tell me "You're such a great person, I'm sure it will be o.k."
If I'm so great, why hasn't it been o.k. ever? Especially when they have no idea what you have been through or what you tried to resolve the issue. Then when you start to tell them everything you've done and have no more suggestions, they're like "Oh, well I'm sure you'll find something."

EveWasFramed said:
Do you need a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Munky??

I'm with Eve. Just once, I want someone to hand me a goddamn pint of ice cream. (Although just to clarify, Phish Food is my flavor, not Chunky Munky.)

In all seriousness though,you shouldn't get mad at people for saying lame honeysuckle like "it'll get better" or "everybody has problems". It's just their way of trying to help; you be should grateful that they care enough to even say something to help or persuade you to get over it. Because if it was me, I'd just be like, "shut the fresia up. I'm trying to sleep."

For me it would probably be something that actually happened the other day

"Look... I really do not want to talk to you now.

idk when and if i ever will want to again."

"so please just leave me alone.

screw the please...

just leave me alone."

LOMO at the last bit there zraskolnikov. Well at lest your honest.

I don't have anything really that you could say. I mean when am down there not a lot that would make it weirs.

I agree with zraskolnikov that if ppl do say things that are a little dumb at lest they still took the time to try. Dumb or not its the thought that counts.

I hate when someone is depressed and people tell them to get over it.

Of course, I'm not depressed so it doesn't matter. There's nothing wrong with me mentally, I'm just stupid and unlikeable.

Qui said:
I'm just stupid and unlikeable.

Why do you think this? because based on casual observation, you don't seem either of these things.

I think I'd have to go with the "Smile" answer as the worst thing someone could tell me.

Usually when someone tells you to smile, it's right after someone shot your sister, ran over your dog and informed you that Santa Claus isn't real. No one wants to smile after all that, but people will tell you to do it anyway.

Latest posts

Back