Ever thought you were a boring person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ymir

Reaction score
That's me at the moment.

I always have this lingering feeling that I am not interesting in the slightest and this is why I never manage to attract people. It's one of the reasons why I gave up on intimate relationships, be it romantic or platonic, by the way: I don't think I'm interesting enough to have the friends I'd like to have (although I'm very friendly and am friends with about nearly everyone what is logic :club: ), or the kind of romantic partner I'm attracted to (now, this is logical and I have been rejected by both dudes I managed to feel something for).

I'm just kind of... Over there. Not having interesting hobbies. Not having interesting stories to tell about myself. I have nothing in common with people I have constant contact with i.e: classmates. I have nothing to say most of the times. I barely reply to threads here because I simply don't have the experience.

Whenever I stop to think that my teenage years are almost over and I don't have anything to tell besides sob stories about self-harm and chronic illness, I get hella down.

Regularly. Though I share interest in certain topics and activities with some of my peers, I was rarely able to follow these activities with the required enthusiasm people usually have. Music, computer games, movies...whatever I do, I seem to do it without real excitement or devotion and this is the major difference. Which makes me wonder why I follow these interests in the first place. Maybe I just have a different way of showing my excitement, maybe it's just happening on a mental level. But I feel unable to connect based on my way of exhibiting interest in things.

I don't have experience and the necessary compassion to tell stories or give advice as well. I'm no fool. I got a 'not that dim' head on my shoulders but I lack heart. Occasionally this might yield a helpful idea - which lacks the human factor nonetheless. It's all judgement and evaluation of an immediate situation, next to none evidence to back it up.

There's just a handful of good memories from my youth and they've been stowed in the rear end of my mind, covered up with a bulk of sad stories. I rarely go into detail about my history since this only worsens the already askew looking picture I'm painting of myself.

Your friendliness might give you an advantage, but this is not always helping to "take things to the next level", so to say. But I guess this goes for a lot of folks - friendliness itself is not an extraordinary trait. Which is why people might treat you like 'one in a million'.

Yes indeed, I am regularly reminded of the fact. Apparently I have no personality or passion.

Ymir said:
I'm just kind of... Over there. Not having interesting hobbies. Not having interesting stories to tell about myself. I have nothing in common with people I have constant contact with i.e: classmates. I have nothing to say most of the times. I barely reply to threads here because I simply don't have the experience.

I feel the same way too.

But hey Ymir, who cares. We live our own lives, we don't owe anyone else "interesting" stories. Just be yourself. If someone who is compatible to you personally comes along, you don't need these things to attract them. Just being yourself would be good enough. Maybe talk about the things that you like? Doesn't have to be the ones that you do yourself. Topics or discussions you like to get into.

I have always worried that I am boring because I am on the quiet side and I often find it hard to think of things to talk about with people.
I have interests I am passionate about, but these are the Finnish language, North Korea and Star Trek and, apart from the latter, these are not really ice breakers.

My dear, after talking to you a little bit, I can say you are NOT boring.

I definitely got more boring as I got older. Slowly my hobbies disintegrated while my friends seemed to stick with them and I didn't really replace them with anything. Sure I have a couple of hobbies and interests but I don't really do them much or even know a million things about them so once I've spoken about them once, it's hard to speak about them again, or in much detail.

Because of this, I find my conversations are mostly about the past, when times were good and I had a lot more going on. Anecdotes and nostalgia. It's like I died and can only look back at the past, never in the present, and the future? What's that?
I struggle in a lot of social situations so even my tales of the past are useless. But even so, I think of myself as definitely not as boring as a lot of other people, with their boring tastes and their boring thoughts. Mostly they are stereotypes. You don't have to have 100 hobbies and be a master of conversation to be interesting. Just be practical instead of conforming, that's a good start. "Boring" to me is not being an un-eventful person. Boring is labeling yourself as "outgoing" and "bubbly" and "random", going to shitty-horrid bars full of other boring people every weekend, girls labeling themselves as "girl gamers", guys labeling themselves as "gamers", people saying "I really want another tattoo but I have no idea what to get!", feeling that having someone else draw on you is "expressing yourself" ... I really hate the word "sheeple" and the people who use it frequently, but I find sheeple boring, and not in the "facebook is the devil and the Government are controlling our minds with chemtrails" way, but in the rat-race, generic way.

Tell me about it, I thought I was the only one who thought that. Apparently not. I wonder why I am so 'not-interested' in other people's activities, which seems to be quite often. But it's not with all people.

I know how you feel. I fail to keep consistent friends online and offline, everyone seems to slowly drift away until I stop hearing from them. Even if I say hey or message them it usually goes nowhere. I try to be nice and seem interesting, always taking an interest in what the other person has to say but meh, it doesn't help. So its gotten to the point where I'm convinced that I'm just not a very interesting guy. Despite having what I feel are some good qualities to my personality and some crazy life experiences.

Yes, to repeat what's been said here. It seems like others always have a greater appreciation and knowledge about whatever interests I happen to have, so there's nothing for me to contribute to a conversation.

To me, being boring is worse than being lonely.

I never felt this way until recently. Maybe a dwindling number of friends, or a lackluster interest in my life choices has contributed to this sense that I either have nothing of value to contribute to society or that I'm not someone that anyone would find interesting. It comes and it goes, but lately, due to my lack of employment, it has returned with a gusto, and I need to reverse this trend.

Truth be told, I don't really feel like I am boring, but I get in phases where my confidence dips and I start to feel useless.

every single day of my life, but that is my punishment because I find a lot of people boring themselves

Latest posts

Back