Thoughts & Things that we can change about our situation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndigoSpace

Reaction score
Hi

I just thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that looks at ways of helping us with feeling lonely.

I read an article somewhere that bitterness is one of the worst things to indulge in when you're lonely. It's like a pattern of thinking that actually makes things worse for you, not better. It was really helpful reading it because I have felt a lot of bitterness recently (and that's coming from someone who never felt any in her life at all, up until 2 years ago).

So one thing I can try and change about my loneliness is my thinking...I might still be alone but I can try and find a way to focus on the thoughts that help rather than the ones that don't.

I did originally choose to be alone and to live alone, it's just that recent events in my family, including a bereavement mean that I'm still alone when I might have naturally moved on otherwise.

So to start this thread, tomorrow (it's late now) I'm going to work on changing my focus and think about all the good things about being alone. What benefits does it have?

Anyone else? :)

It's clean. When your alone there are no lies or deceit. No one gets hurt. It's peaceful. You have your freedom, you can choose how to spend your time. It's like a blade though, a blade that draws on you without end, until you can't bleed anymore.

Bitterness has been less of late but it was really bad last year and earlier this year. Jealousy has been quite prevalent too. I try not to think of it too much anymore, watching all the people I knew build up their lives with little to no effort. Get into their careers, all getting engaged or the like.

I'm moving out in 2 weeks as I've gotten so used to being alone I want to be self sufficient. Staying in my family home is just too much, feel as I'm nearly 25 I need to go out and live for myself maybe if I had my own room to return to than coming back to this house in a room i've lived in for years will be better for my wellbeing.

So the best thing to combat this is to build up myself. I love traveling because I get to see everything without any constraints like I'm truly free. It's amazing I never needed anyone to enjoy what the world can show you. Doing some outdoors activities is good. I like cycling as I don't need anyone to do it and it keeps me in shape.

Latest posts

Back