Do you change your physical preferences?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.EU

Reaction score
I wonder:

according to some research young people look very much to physical attractiveness. I wonder - those who are at least after 25 how much beauty is important compared to other attributes or more exact question: how much personal (material) features take over in favor of physical appearance.

The same question asked in another way: how do your physical preferences change over time?

Beauty is still pretty important to me, but by itself it doesn't count for much. I like someone to have an interesting and friendly personality that makes me feel good when I'm around them.

I've always kind of liked regular, dorky-ish people who at least shower and dress properly.

Looks still matter but I have always had a pretty broad range of what I consider beautiful anyway, for example I could find one blonde curvy woman attractive and another unattractive. It really depends on individual factors.

That said overall looks aren't the be all and end all, if I can't speak to the woman or she turns out be unpleasant personality wise then her looks mean little in the end.

I don't think I like men anymore… how is that for a change of physical preferences?

Physical appearance is important, but what is considered attractive can vary from person to person. Overall I'd say I place more value on personality. A good personality makes someone much more attractive than any physical attribute can, in my opinion.

Also, just because you find someone attractive to look at doesn't necessarily mean that's the kind of person you go after for a relationship. For instance, I like to look at guys who are a bit toned and muscular (not like, ridiculously ripped though. It gets gross at a certain point), but when it comes to guys I want relationships with, I prefer guys with an average build, or maybe even a bit on the stocky side. They're softer to hug :D

Hi,

thank you all for answers. But I must emphasize on how you change your preferences over the time.

By this questionnaire I am trying to make idea on how people percieve beauty and it's importance over the time. I know it is very hard to remember how you tough when you were 17, than 22, 25 and now and maybe even harder is to be honest :) but if you are interested in answering me, please, give it a try.

I give an example:

I am 26 now.

When I was 17 I had almost zero interest in personality, I was solely attracted to look. I liked tall blondes with sharp-shaped face and preferably serious personality.

Look/personality ratio was 90/10 (emphasis almost solely on genes, I didn't care if she does sports or smokes... etc.)

In 22 I valued much more intelligence. Intelligent and hardworking, serious woman was very attractive for me but by that time I was even more picky in physical appearance. I did a lot of sports and I required good health and good genes. Fit and slim (sexy or athletic) shape with blond hair. Manager-type or scientist-type of woman was very very appealing.

Look/personality ratio was 80/20 (much emphasis on health and genes as well)

In 25 I am firmly convinced that good woman and good quality of heath habits are ox and cart. I would not be interested in woman who doesn't care of her heath in long term relationship. Genes are now not that important as good health came make it up for it. I am no longer interested in young woman (less than 22) and her maturity - intelligence, wisdom and family background is much more interested than it was before.

Look/personality/family background ratio was 60/20/20 (now more emphasis on physical health than sole genes)

overall my beauty preferences slightly decrease in favor of personality but sexual attributes (shape of butt, breasts, overall d*ck-hard factor) is becoming much more important than how she look in fur coat or what is general perception of beauty. Generally I would assume my physical preferences increase in absolute term, because having a good shape and good health is a matter of many years of hard work. So well increases my need for right personality.

something like that.

I mainly go into phases of different ethnicities, but my expectations of beauty haven't changed much in my lifetime. Like, right now I'm really into black girls, but what I consider sexy is the same no matter the race.

Physical preferences probably don't change much for most, but they are likely to become less of a priority as (intelligent) people become adults. When you're young you're unlikely to have many strong political leanings or beliefs, values and so on. You choose mates based on proximity and a shared physical attraction. When you grow up you're more interested in whats going on between the ears than legs.

I used to have what is mildly offensively termed 'yellow fever', fascinated by East Asian women appearance wise. One of those (white) guys. Thankfully I'm over it.

Diffracted might be right.

Ok, I am asking wrong people you (we) are too young for such questions.

thank you anyway.

Peter.EU said:
I wonder - those who are at least after 25 how much beauty is important compared to other attributes or more exact question: how much personal (material) features take over in favor of physical appearance.

The same question asked in another way: how do your physical preferences change over time?

I must say that physical attractiveness has not changed as my #1 consideration, but I see it more as an open door rather than the be-all/end-all. It's like a starting point to getting to know someone.

There are traits I value more now than I did when I was 25, such as general kindness, intelligence, sense of humor, common values, shared political views, ability to converse, etc.

Maybe if I my interest in attractiveness lessens, things will change.

Beauty matters, a lot. But it's not just it. What makes me crazy about a girl is simple stuff, like the way her hair smells and how it's dressed, the way she smiles, the way she dresses, the way she laughs (I do anything to see a girl laugh), the way she is when she's alone. She doesn't have to be 'hot'. She has to be beautiful.
Ladies, your body makes you pretty. But your personality makes you beautiful :cool:

I have to be attracted to the person. But I have found over the years that my preferences have changed, and I have a broad taste in men.

I'm 43 & my preference in women hasn't really changed that much since my teenage years...

Peaches said:
I don't think I like men anymore… how is that for a change of physical preferences?

I'd say that's a pretty big change!

I fall in love with what's inside, and I always have. Of course, I still have a type. Dark hair, dark eyes, glasses.

shy:
Peter.EU said:
I wonder:

according to some research young people look very much to physical attractiveness. I wonder - those who are at least after 25 how much beauty is important compared to other attributes or more exact question: how much personal (material) features take over in favor of physical appearance.

:)When I was in my 20's, physical appearance mattered a lot - a boy had to be cute for me to be interested in him. It's part of the sexual attraction. If I found out afterwards that he was a jerk then the physical attraction died off.

Now 40 years later I still appreciate if someone is handsome - but a good smile and sense of humor trumps his appearance. He must be interesting too - when someone is enthusiastic about something - their face lights up & that is attractive too.

Latest posts

Back