The usefulness of dreams

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
Was reading this article and wondering what others thought?

I'm not sure my dreams have ever reflected anything I didn't know about my life, but I have occasionally had dreams of apologizing or sorting out a fight and been motivated to do something about it the next day.

I tend to have bizarre dreams. Perhaps they feature sporadic compilations of the day, current happenings, abstract symbols or completely random montages. But sometimes, my dreams assist me; my land of nod attempts to tie up a few loose ends from waking life.

If you look closely enough, dreams could serve as a portal to resolution.

Here are four ways dreams can help:

Wow, I almost could've wrote what you quoted on. My dreams are incredibly rich in detail and I find myself very appreciative of remembering so many of them. The lady I date is mind-blown by the places my mind goes and when we wake up she often asks where my imagination took me (and sometimes us). When I worked construction (building custom homes) I'd often find a solution to problems in my sleep (I've 'built' numbers of houses from the ground up in my dreams). I'll also dream of books I'm reading and get right into the story- it's pretty cool to see the things I've read playing out in my imagination.

I've found that if I think about/fix something in my mind as I go to sleep it'll often play out as a dream- sometimes when I wake up I have a moment of adaptation as I switch back to reality as what I'd dreamt of seemed so real. I can remember sounds, color, texture, smells, things I see....I'm grateful for the richness and variety I've found. I've even had a few conversations with a couple of people from ALL (which is really interesting as I don't really know them).

Guess what I'm trying to say is that dreams are awesome....:D

"I can remember sounds, color, texture, smells, things I see..."

Same here, my dreams are incredibly vivid and some of them I can remember way back to when I was a kid...usually they were nightmares but they still stuck with me.

The ones I seem to have every two/three months are what I call my "Deja Vu dreams." I can be anywhere, at work, the store, walking my dog and it will all of a sudden hit me, that I just saw or did something that I had dreamt about. The latest one took place, at work, about three weeks ago.

Our workplace ordered this new piece of equipment to check part dimensions. The sales guy was showing us how to use it and there were about five of us standing around him. He reached up to touch the "angle" button on the display and it immediately hit me. I remembered dreaming about this. I then remembered, in my dream, he was wearing a yellow shirt and dark pants. The sales guy was wearing a yellow shirt and navy blue Dockers. The button, in my dream, was the angle button he touched. I also remembered I was standing directly behind him during the display and my co-workers were standing to my right....the same exact order as it was that work day.

I know some people will think I'm full of honeysuckle, but it happens a few times a year. When I do come across a certain situation and then remember having dreamt it, it nearly floors me. I then proceed to go through the dream and it all of a sudden comes back so vividly, yet it's never a dream that I wake up thinking "wow, that was a cool dream." It's like a mundane dream all of sudden comes back to me in vivid detail.

If someone reading this has also experienced the same thing, please post. I'd like to think there has to be someone or others that have the same types of dreams.

Tealeaf said:
Was reading this article and wondering what others thought?

I'm not sure my dreams have ever reflected anything I didn't know about my life, but I have occasionally had dreams of apologizing or sorting out a fight and been motivated to do something about it the next day.

I tend to have bizarre dreams. Perhaps they feature sporadic compilations of the day, current happenings, abstract symbols or completely random montages. But sometimes, my dreams assist me; my land of nod attempts to tie up a few loose ends from waking life.

If you look closely enough, dreams could serve as a portal to resolution.

Here are four ways dreams can help:

I want the time it took to read the article back pls.

I love my dreams. I have really vivid dreams as well, remembering every bit of the senses used. They used to actually tell me what would happen, but they don't anymore. I had a weird one last night... That my brother was gay. And he had some type of health issue. And I was getting pissed off because, with the exception of one strange female that I didn't know, it seemed like everyone around was concentrating more on the fact that he was gay than his health issue. It was weird. And what's even stranger was the house we were in.

I'll definitely read the article, and probably even look more into what dreams may mean. This topic has always fascinated me.

WildernessWildChild said:
Wow, I almost could've wrote what you quoted on. My dreams are incredibly rich in detail and I find myself very appreciative of remembering so many of them. The lady I date is mind-blown by the places my mind goes and when we wake up she often asks where my imagination took me (and sometimes us). When I worked construction (building custom homes) I'd often find a solution to problems in my sleep (I've 'built' numbers of houses from the ground up in my dreams). I'll also dream of books I'm reading and get right into the story- it's pretty cool to see the things I've read playing out in my imagination.

I've found that if I think about/fix something in my mind as I go to sleep it'll often play out as a dream- sometimes when I wake up I have a moment of adaptation as I switch back to reality as what I'd dreamt of seemed so real. I can remember sounds, color, texture, smells, things I see....I'm grateful for the richness and variety I've found. I've even had a few conversations with a couple of people from ALL (which is really interesting as I don't really know them).

Guess what I'm trying to say is that dreams are awesome....:D

I rarely have the senses involved and all my dreams are without sound, so I'm jealous of that.

Dream architecture and nature is one of my favorite aspects. I wish painting or sketching was one of the skills I spent my years on, because I could become rich off of what my mind comes up with while I'm asleep.

I see dreams as guidance. I have silly example. Lately i had a dream that, when i'd go to work, a specific co-worker would be working as well. There was no way for me to know that, but, as i woke up, got ready for work and went there, there she was. Last night i had some weird dream that told me that Argentina would score the first goal. It didn't show me the outcome now. I'm now convinced that this will happen.

I have the same thing about more significant issues, where dreams let me see where my eyes can't take me. It's a useful tool.

My latest dream experiences weren't exactly pretty. And I used to trust them to some degree, even had a couple of lucid dreams in the past I had minor control of.

For the past few months I wasn't able to remember any of my dreams except the few nightmares I was having. A while ago I heard that we dream whenever we sleep, but some of us rarely remember. But to me it was as if I wasn't dreaming at all. The night passed in the blink of an eye.
Don't even get me started on the content of my latest dreams. If I would see them as advice and follow their guidance, you'd probably read about it in the newspaper the next morning.

I guess dreams can be useful.

http://www.dreaminterpretation-dictionary.com/famous-dreams-6.html

Welcome to our famous dreams page.

Dmitri Mendeleev was a Russian aristocrat and academic with a vested interest in the basic elements of the universe that combine in all manner of forms to make up physical matter.

Mendeleev could not comprehend or explain the seemingly random properties of these building blocks. That is; until one day whilst vacationing with his family he took a nap.

Mendeleev had been listening to his family struggle to play chamber music. He grew tired and, upon excusing himself, went to bed and drifted off to sleep listening to the music.

Mendeleev dreamed a vision of the basic elements of the universe flowing together in a manner akin to the progression of a musical sequence; orderly and beautiful. He awoke and outlined from his dream every element in order. This sequence became known in all chemistry texts as the >i>Periodic Table of Elements

Thats amazing!

I rarely recall my dreams these days, but I once had a go a lucid dreaming, and I flew right out of the window full speed and got arrested by some dim wit copper who wouldn't take my word for it that I was dreaming.

Latest posts

Back