Stephen King's Under the Dome series

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
With the beginning of season 2, I'm curious if anyone else is watching?

From the Wikipedia:

Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill in Maine, where a massive, transparent, indestructible dome suddenly cuts them off from the rest of the world. With no Internet access, no mobile signals and limited radio communication, the people trapped inside must find their own ways to survive with diminishing resources and rising tensions. While military forces, the government and the media positioned outside of this surrounding barrier attempt to break it down, a small group of people inside attempt to figure out what the dome is, where it came from, and when (and if) it will go away.

Based on the novel, but it wasn't one I was able to finish so I'm not sure how much is the same.

Tealeaf said:
With the beginning of season 2, I'm curious if anyone else is watching?

I never watched the first season, but did catch the 'summary' show. I did see the first episode of season 2, though. Sort of reminds me of Lost - definitely not sure what is up yet.

Hmm. I'll have to download this since it's not on Netflix. It sounds cool. :O

BTW there is another show based on Stephen King's "The Stand" available on netflix. It's four 90 minute episodes. Its about a virus killing everyone and there being a few survivors left to battle it out between heaven and hell. Or something...I'm on episode 3 still =P.

I've seen the first season back in 2013, but I lost track of when the second season would be released...so thanks for the reminder.
I had read the book beforehand so I know what's gonna happen more or less. The story and characters have been altered to some degree, so it's probably gonna turn out differently in the end.

Yeah, and I've seen 'The Stand' mentioned by kamya as well...this mini-series has been out for some time, but it's well worth seeing I think.

Rodent said:
I've seen the first season back in 2013, but I lost track of when the second season would be released...so thanks for the reminder.
I had read the book beforehand so I know what's gonna happen more or less. The story and characters have been altered to some degree, so it's probably gonna turn out differently in the end.

Yeah, and I've seen 'The Stand' mentioned by kamya as well...this mini-series has been out for some time, but it's well worth seeing I think.

I admire your patience... I loved Lisey's Story, but Under the Dome was a bit much for me.

Tealeaf said:
I admire your patience... I loved Lisey's Story, but Under the Dome was a bit much for me.

I found it quite entertaining and I think I haven't found myself bored even once throughout 'Under the Dome'. But I haven't read 'Lisey's Story', so I can't speak for that. I think it's just been released as 'Love' in my country.

There was a time when I was really into King's books, read some older and newer ones. Now 'Duma Key' or 'Insomnia' for instance...these were testing my patience at times.

Rodent said:
Tealeaf said:

I found it quite entertaining and I think I haven't found myself bored even once throughout 'Under the Dome'. But I haven't read 'Lisey's Story', so I can't speak for that. I think it's just been released as 'Love' in my country.

There was a time when I was really into King's books, read some older and newer ones. Now 'Duma Key' or 'Insomnia' for instance...these were testing my patience at times.

I'm seeing a lot of interesting things that I missed out on by not finishing the novel, so I can see what you mean (assuming these are the unchanged aspects). I think it was a combination of how massive the book is and how much it relies on interactions between the townsfolk. I guess you like a lot of detail?

I have Duma Key, but I can't seem to remember anything about it so it must not have left an impression. It's mostly been King's short story collections that I like, especially Everything's Eventual.

Tealeaf said:
I'm seeing a lot of interesting things that I missed out on by not finishing the novel, so I can see what you mean (assuming these are the unchanged aspects). I think it was a combination of how massive the book is and how much it relies on interactions between the townsfolk. I guess you like a lot of detail?

You could say that. The details in combination with his way of writing keeps my attention steady for the most part. In general I'm not put off by massive books as long as the plot and setting fits my personal taste. Which was also the case with '11/22/63', the one that dealt with the Kennedy assassination.

Tealeaf said:
I have Duma Key, but I can't seem to remember anything about it so it must not have left an impression. It's mostly been King's short story collections that I like, especially Everything's Eventual.

'Duma Key' was suffering from something called an endless prelude. At least that's what I remember some critics wrote. The revelations towards its' end didn't really justify the elaborate build-up that happened beforehand...which is probably the reason why it's so unmemorable.
A lot of people seem to enjoy the short stories and so do I. 'Just After Sunset' and 'Full Dark, No Stars' are the ones I read. But I've also seen a series called 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes' where some of his stories were turned into short episodes.

Rodent said:
You could say that. The details in combination with his way of writing keeps my attention steady for the most part. In general I'm not put off by massive books as long as the plot and setting fits my personal taste. Which was also the case with '11/22/63', the one that dealt with the Kennedy assassination.

I'm sensitive to pacing, I guess. Even in the hands of someone skilled, a very long, detailed book can feel "bogged down" and I can start to feel lost.

Rodent said:
'Duma Key' was suffering from something called an endless prelude. At least that's what I remember some critics wrote. The revelations towards its' end didn't really justify the elaborate build-up that happened beforehand...which is probably the reason why it's so unmemorable.

A lot of people seem to enjoy the short stories and so do I. 'Just After Sunset' and 'Full Dark, No Stars' are the ones I read. But I've also seen a series called 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes' where some of his stories were turned into short episodes.

I know I've read Just After Sunset, but again I remember very little. :(

If you're curious, Everything's Eventual has both 1408 (now a film) and a short story from the Dark Tower universe. I didn't know about Nightmares & Dreamscapes, so that's something for me to check out until later...

Speaking of Lisey's Story, it or may not be your thing, since it's very focused on the emotions of the widow and her relationship to her sisters. The horror aspects mostly seemed to support it to me. I was surprised that a happily married man could write such a novel, but supposedly it was inspired by his own near-death experience and dedicated to his wife.

Aaaand now the thread is all about Stephen King.

Tealeaf said:

If you're curious, Everything's Eventual has both 1408 (now a film) and a short story from the Dark Tower universe. I didn't know about Nightmares & Dreamscapes, so that's something for me to check out until later...

Speaking of Lisey's Story, it or may not be your thing, since it's very focused on the emotions of the widow and her relationship to her sisters. The horror aspects mostly seemed to support it to me. I was surprised that a happily married man could write such a novel, but supposedly it was inspired by his own near-death experience and dedicated to his wife.

Sorry for the...partial derailment. Or the rather extensive broadening of the topic. Nevertheless it's your thread so it's your choice whether to continue from here or not. I feel obligated to respond to your last thoughts though...

I've already seen the 1408 movie - with John Cusack as far as I remember. It's a personal favourite of mine. But I know very little about the Dark Tower series apart from the connections to others of King's works. But it's something I might give a read someday. Seemed intriguing.
About Lisey's story...I don't narrow down Stephen King to just the horror aspect and this has never been my sole reason for getting into his books and movies in the first place - even if that's the thing he obviously is famous for. Usually I enjoy his works as a whole and to this day I haven't seen or read something of his that I regard as a disappointment.

End of thread derailment.

Rodent said:
Tealeaf said:

Sorry for the...partial derailment. Or the rather extensive broadening of the topic. Nevertheless it's your thread so it's your choice whether to continue from here or not. I feel obligated to respond to your last thoughts though...

I've already seen the 1408 movie - with John Cusack as far as I remember. It's a personal favourite of mine. But I know very little about the Dark Tower series apart from the connections to others of King's works. But it's something I might give a read someday. Seemed intriguing.
About Lisey's story...I don't narrow down Stephen King to just the horror aspect and this has never been my sole reason for getting into his books and movies in the first place - even if that's the thing he obviously is famous for. Usually I enjoy his works as a whole and to this day I haven't seen or read something of his that I regard as a disappointment.

End of thread derailment.

It's not derailment if it's in a PM.

Under the Dome was decent. Not seen the series.
The stand was a brilliant book, the tv show was average.

I stop watching it, was so uninspired after the 1st season. The bad guy become the good guy who become the bad guy again. I hope it will get better.

Someone described this to me one time, and I did see the trailer for it - and also now the second season. It did/does seem interesting although as of yet I still haven't seen a single episode. I really hate watching these types of programs on TV, it was the same with Lost when I got into that. It's so frustrating because they always leave every episode a cliffhanger and because it's new they're usually drowned in adverts.

So I'd rather wait for it to come out on DVD or just download the whole season rather than watch it episode by episode on TV lol.

Yes, 3rd Season, except it's now more like CSI: Tommyknockers

I think it is possibly the worst show in the history of TV! They have been in there 3 weeks and long term relationships have blossomed and faded, and evil axe killers of teenage girls are now running emotional support groups, and it's all because of some space aliens and their egg or something like that.

Tim Surette's reviews on TV.com are a delight to read - I have a weekly chuckle to the reviews and comments, but don't go there if you love the show for some reason.

Stephen King's novel was fantastic, but I find most adaptations just can't translate his characters and verisimilitude at all!

I wish it had been a mini-series and stayed true to the novel.

I do think the casting is excellent, though.

Latest posts

Back