Why is human life so long? Do you find it too long?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ordinaryDude

Reaction score
I just find life is too long. I'm 27, I've had good and bad times. I've achieved "okay" things, didn't waste my life, have been to many countries and several continents. I didn't disappoint my parents either, achieved whatever they asked of me.

Now I feel I've had enough of life and it's time to sleep forever, but unfortunately human life is far too long in comparison to other animals. Now I find life as a boring, hard working process and just a long wait for death.

So, why is our life so long? Do you find it long like I do?

Ha. I'm 35 and I've done everything I will ever do. I'm just whittling away the time with distractions until a time that my cat eats my body in my apartment during the several months it takes to find me.

I would probably feel differently if I had more to look forward to. I'm sorry that you have those feelings, though. My feelings are the result of very bad circumstances (I'm not trying to suggest that's your situation).

I know what you mean OD. I just wanna curl up in bed.

I think thats it Raincloud, having something to look forward to....and for me, Sticking to it!!. It's hard to figure out for me just what would make me happy. Because I change my mind as often as the British weather. I'ts so annoying I just end up exhausted after an exciting day of planning my new adventure, only for it to loose it's flavour in the morning. That for me makes life move at snail-pace. But now if i had a friend near me......I think, togehter, we could fly!
I think Maslow was spot on about human needs, after your basic needs are met, its time for love and belonging, and close friendship. No wonder i never feel like achieving or mastering anything else. I mean, without any kind of love and support you would fail?
just a guess i suppose

Well personally I'm planning on sticking around till 121, lots more I want to see and do.

Hmmm, I may even start a Kickstarter thing to fund an expedition to find the fountain of youth.

Find things you want to to, trips to somewhere special, learn an instrument, learn a new language.

Life has lots of possibilities, and it doesn't have to be big things, just anything that will make you happy.

I'd say that life is too short. The older I get, the quicker each year seems to disappear. I used to wish for my life to end, but all I really wanted was for things to change, and that doesn't happen until you can force yourself to stop wallowing in misery and start looking for the bright side.

Wow, I have never felt this way. I'm 24, and I have achieved some awesome things as well, and have traveled.

I try to be progressive everyday, and keep working to my next step in life (buying a new car, house, getting that dream job, etc.) and there is always something new to be going for. I agree with Cavey, life is short, I need time to get stuff done. :)

You've got to be kidding! I'm 47, haven't done anywhere near enough, and would like to have another 100 years minimum.

I think there just isn't enough time to do it all that I want to do. Just to get where I want to in life has been taking a while. 9 years past and I'm only starting to walk the journey. Gotta say you're lucky you get to do all that you wanted to do in such a short time.

I don't think there is enough time. If I had more time I probably wouldn't feel so bad about wasting my 20s. I wish I was a lot farther along than I am at this point.

Seriously? Wow...Honestly, I pretty much wasted my 20's completely due to my own foolish choices, and my 30's was spent getting my honeysuckle together. Now at 42, I just feel now that my life is 'starting' - I want at least another 50 years or so. I find it pretty sad, actually, that some of you are tired of life already and you're so young. Life is for living people! It's one big adventure, don't waste it. Sheesh...

Umm actually I dont agree with you.
Now u think it's long enough but I think when we are about to die in that age and in that moment we will feel that our whole life was actually nothin' ...
do you remember ur first day at school? do u remember ur graduations? it seems like happened few days ago
and that what we will feel about our life

that is my opinion ,,, i respect yours

I've just got back from walking around the local cemetery where I saw the grave of my school friend who died at 19 years old in a motorcycle accident. 3 more of my school mates who died at 22 in a drink driving 'accident'. My sister's old boyfriend who died at 26 in a drink driving 'accident'. My old next door neighbour who died of natural causes at 21. My sister's best friend who died of cancer at 23.

Life is definitely too short...

Not long enough, not nearly long enough at all. I've spent the majority of my time believing I was someone who couldn't do anything, and now it's come true - I've grown up to be someone who hasn't done anything. I want time to fix this mistake and become who I want to be instead of getting swept further down the path of mediocrity. Sometimes I worry that even if I can gain talent through hard work, what if there is simply not enough time left to do the work? I'm screwed, that's what.

I don't think childhood is long enough either. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I could return to childhood. Having all day to just learn and evolve and play and dream. Sometimes I feel things will never be that good again.

Also, I know the post just said human life but I don't think pet life is nearly long enough. They grow up so fast. Boomer, my dog, just turned 11 this year. How I wish that only meant he was an 11 year old kid. I'm thankful he still acts wild, though.

Cavey said:
I've just got back from walking around the local cemetery where I saw the grave of my school friend who died at 19 years old in a motorcycle accident. 3 more of my school mates who died at 22 in a drink driving 'accident'. My sister's old boyfriend who died at 26 in a drink driving 'accident'. My old next door neighbour who died of natural causes at 21. My sister's best friend who died of cancer at 23.

Oh dear.. :(

Now that I have read all of your replies and analyzed why I think like that, I think I feel this way because I'm afraid of the future. I feel I'm not good enough to cope with the challenges ahead. I severely lack in confidence and I'm very negative about myself. Because I fear challenge, I'm seeking the easy way out through death.

No. I fear life ending too soon for me. There are nights, when days have been rough, that I cry because I am scared I won't wake up in the morning. And not waking up to be able to have a better tomorrow is a terrifying thought for me.

ordinaryDude said:
Now that I have read all of your replies and analyzed why I think like that, I think I feel this way because I'm afraid of the future. I feel I'm not good enough to cope with the challenges ahead. I severely lack in confidence and I'm very negative about myself. Because I fear challenge, I'm seeking the easy way out through death.

Although the outcomes we would rather choose are different, our reasoning is pretty similar. Fear is what makes me want another day, to see if I am any more worthy tomorrow.

Big hugs to you.

Cavey said:

Big hugs to you also :(

ringwood said:
Now at 42, I just feel now that my life is 'starting' -

I had the same thought. I am 43. I actually feel like from a total financial point of view I have to live as long as possible. Lets say I qualify for social security / pension at 62. That money will never really run out. Also, by then, I will likely have assets etc. That is kind of the reward for all my suffering. I will travel, I will go to events with people... if I stay healthy.

I feel a bit like retirement is a return to childhood in a way. Like childhood you have a lot of time on your hands and freedom and like childhood where your parents provide, you have the ability to provide for yourself. I have read someplace that the happiest time for people are when they are young and old.

ordinaryDude said:
Now that I have read all of your replies and analyzed why I think like that, I think I feel this way because I'm afraid of the future. I feel I'm not good enough to cope with the challenges ahead. I severely lack in confidence and I'm very negative about myself.

Yea. I feel the same way sometimes. Like I said, my whole life I thought I was just an average person and that's all I could be. I had zero confidence in myself that I could ever get good at anything or really excel in life. So it turned into fear of the future, pessimism, and laziness.

The only thing is, lately I've just gotten so tired of the results I've been getting that I've thought to myself, well, not believing in myself has made me into a miserable person. So why don't I try believing in myself instead, because this hasn't been working. I don't even know if it will work but any way I look at myself and my problems has to be better than this.

"Only when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change, will you change." - quote I found somewhere online.

ordinaryDude said:
I just find life is too long. I'm 27, I've had good and bad times. I've achieved "okay" things, didn't waste my life, have been to many countries and several continents. I didn't disappoint my parents either, achieved whatever they asked of me.

Now I feel I've had enough of life and it's time to sleep forever, but unfortunately human life is far too long in comparison to other animals. Now I find life as a boring, hard working process and just a long wait for death.

So, why is our life so long? Do you find it long like I do?

God no, we need to have as much time to learn more about ourselves and life. You have something talking to you that is trying to depress you and it seems you are listening to it. It is a dark force.
God wants you to continue learning about life.
I am very old and believe me I look forward to a longer life of understanding.

Latest posts

Back