Feeling dangerously close to feeling good about yourself? Try online dating.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insomniac779

Reaction score
Yes, this post is definitely for the purpose of feeling sorry for myself and honestly I just have no one or any other place to vent.

Decided to reactivate an old dating profile after two years. I finally felt like I was in a good enough place that I could try meeting women on there, or at least make a couple of new chat buddies. I admit it. I keep my expectations low.

In the past 72 hours I have been rejected for the following reasons.

I'm: too bald, too short (I'm 5'9"), have imperfect teeth, don't have a car, don't have a degree (never been out or work for longer than three weeks and have my own apt but whatever), not a sports fan, too straight edge, and too Puerto Rican.

Reactivating that profile was seriously the worst thing I could have done. If you ever want to feel like you don't measure up in any way then that's definitely the way to go.

Ok. End of pity party. Just had to get it out.

Man... Don't listen to those excuses! Every single one of those excuses you said are ridiculous. They are just that... Excuses!

Unfortunately unless you are johnny depp, most women are just going to flat out reject you. That is because they most likely get a billion pms from guys every day and have a fairy tale image of johnny depp messaging them and sweeping them off their computer chair.

insomniac779 said:

I'm: too bald, too short (I'm 5'9"), have imperfect teeth, don't have a car, don't have a degree (never been out or work for longer than three weeks and have my own apt but whatever), not a sports fan, too straight edge, and too Puerto Rican.

I'm curious. Did people actually tell you in an email reply that you're, "too short," or "you don't have a car," etc? If so, that is very surprising to me. All of my rejections come from no replies to my emails. Just silence. And I'm fine with that. I've never had someone answer my email by saying they didn't like me for X, Y, or Z. They usually just don't respond.

Case said:
insomniac779 said:

I'm curious. Did people actually tell you in an email reply that you're, "too short," or "you don't have a car," etc? If so, that is very surprising to me. All of my rejections come from no replies to my emails. Just silence. And I'm fine with that. I've never had someone answer my email by saying they didn't like me for X, Y, or Z. They usually just don't respond.

Those weren't direct quotes but pretty much. The majority of the time I get no responses but one girl did get back to me to say she was sorry but because she was 5'10" she didn't think it would work.

As far as the car one, we exchanged a couple of IMs before I made a comment about how I hate the MBTA sometimes which brought up the whole car thing and that was the end of that.

Case said:
insomniac779 said:

That's really cruel for a woman to just say that out of the blue. I'm curious too, because if guy isn't interested in me, they just don't message. As I do to them.

insomniac779 said:

http://allwomenstalk.com/7-reasons-bald-men-are-sexy
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=3742&page=118

girlswhohatesports.jpg

I was going to post more of these things, checking off your list, but for some reason nothing stopped me from googling "sexy puerto rican men" and now I'm paranoid everyone I know works for the Government and is for some absurd reason watching my every move on the internet.

Hey I'm comfortable with my sexuality but that one would be a bit tricky to explain.

painter said:
insomniac779 said:

http://allwomenstalk.com/7-reasons-bald-men-are-sexy
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=3742&page=118

girlswhohatesports.jpg

I was going to post more of these things, checking off your list, but for some reason nothing stopped me from googling "sexy puerto rican men" and now I'm paranoid everyone I know works for the Government and is for some absurd reason watching my every move on the internet.

Hey I'm comfortable with my sexuality but that one would be a bit tricky to explain.

Ha! Thanks Painter. Needed that.

Sorry it didn't work out insomniac.
I think thats one of the reasons I wont use dating sites, I have thought about it, half joined one, and backed out because I really don't know fully myself what I am looking for, and I get nervous because I prefer the type of relationship where it is spontaneous. I have this deep seated belief that love finds you.( or rather, me)
Thats kinda wrong I suppose, I shouldn't really leave Love to fate. Romantic love is really a escape for me, and I fell into the trap of expecting someone to sweep me off my feet. I'm trying to break that habit.
Lots of women have those ideals...I think I overdosed on too many fairy tales haha.

Hope you find what your looking for and take care.

Thanks for the words X. Sadly, I'm convinced that romantic relatioships just aren't in the cards for me. I haven't even had a steady girlfriend in over a decade.I had tried online dating before and the experience was pretty similar. That was three years ago though and I guess I completely forgot why I stopped in the first place.

I haven't dated for 7 years. Yet i am suprising happy alone when i'm being active enough and contributing in a more meaningful way with society. Best not to think about it, and dwell on it, and make the most of life. thats my motto now.

hey i have a motto. *scuttles off to paste it as my sig.

Good luck in finding someone insomniac.

Being active does help I think x"porious and it is certainly not healthy to dwell on it. Can be hard though at times of loneliness and hard if you feel you are missing out on something in life, something that you desire.

We only live once. If you truly desire a relationship then surely the best thing to do is to try the available options and put yourself out there to give yourself a chance. Personally, that is why I vow to myself to actually be more assertive in these matters if I happen to meet someone who seems compatible and attractive. :)

so you throw yourself a "pity party", because you haven't received a positive response within the first 72 hours of re-activating an old dating profile??? Seriously?

[quote='x"]
I haven't dated for 7 years. Yet i am suprising happy alone when i'm being active enough and contributing in a more meaningful way with society. Best not to think about it, and dwell on it, and make the most of life. thats my motto now.

[/quote]

That's a pretty good motto. If you're genuinely happy single then why run the gauntlet of judgement from the opposite sex.

[quote='x"]

[/quote]

^^^but what do you do when you crave a woman's touch?!

Kxty33 said:
[quote='x"]

^^^but what do you do when you crave a woman's touch?!
[/quote]

You go to chat and ask people to put their glasses on upside down, for masturbatory purposes.

ardour said:
[quote='x"]

That's a pretty good motto. If you're genuinely happy single then why run the gauntlet of judgement from the opposite sex.
[/quote]

I like pain and truth! And men do it better! especially if there is passion involved for dessert:)

I agree that online dating can seriously damage your self esteem over time. I've been on and off dating sites for about 10 years and the change i've seen in online daters from then to now is unbelievable! People just don't take it seriously any more or are just way too shallow or judgemental. You risk being rejected by some people who you don't even like the look of that much!!

I've toyed with the idea of speed dating in the past, but never done it. If I was interested in a relationship now (which i'm not) then that would be another avenue worth exploring! Good luck in your quest to find somebody!

My experience was not the best. But I know people who have made successful relationships and families from Online dating.

Latest posts

Back