When did your lonliness begin to show itself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x"porious

Reaction score
When I think back to when I was a child, I can remember a lot of lonely feelings.

I don't remember any affection in the form of hugs and kisses. My father was kind and generous with money, and oftern took us on holidays, camping. I remember always getting excited about going to the countryside, and playing in the fields and rivers. And I never went without any kind of adventure. Yet my mother was ill. She never really gave me any nurturing, like mothers do, she died while I was young of cancer. But she was kind and passive. And being the youngest by 7 years, All I had was a blue stuffed cuddly donkey I cuddled up with at night.

And My childhood friends, I always wanted to have as sisters, I could never get enough of their company.

So I guess my loneliness started from childhood.

What about yours? when did your lonliness start to show itself?

In early childhood. I know I was lonely at school when I started going there at just coming up to 5. My memories of life before starting school are too vague to be sure if I was also lonely then.

i didnt like the majority of my class mates and always preferred to be by myself.

16 when people started drinking and going out with each other !

Nothing has changed in 30 years.

As young as I can remember. I never got the emotional nurturing from my parents that I needed. Today, I can't seem to forge any meaningful friendships. My therapist agrees that it's nothing I'm doing wrong. People just suck I guess.

When I was about 8. I remember that for whatever reason I just couldn't relate to the other kids and they didn't want me around.

Since then people tolerate me and even seem to think I'm ok but I'm never anything more than an acquaintance.

I was popular in grade school. In fact, it was the best time of my life. Then we moved when I was in 7th grade, and that is when everything went to pot, although in hindsight, it would have happened anyway. Moving simply served as a catalyst, if you will.

Triple Bogey said:
16 when people started drinking and going out with each other !

Nothing has changed in 30 years.

^^^So bogey, you were popular and had friends when you were 12, 13, 14 and 15? If so, how come the guys who were your friends when you were those ages, ceased inviting you to hang out with them once you turned 16?!

I didn't have loneliness as a child. I also didn't have depression as a child. I was a loner, but a happy loner. Even though I was in a dysfunctional family, I was able to enjoy my solitude in ways that I cannot seem to muster these days. If I had to pinpoint a moment where loneliness began to tighten its grip on me, it would be the crumbling of my marriage 10 years ago.

When I was about 3 or 4. I first remember feeling lonely after realizing that I had no one to play with. I told my father about it, and he told me that I had to be my own friend and learn to be happy playing alone.

I was lonely for all of my childhood, but after a point I suppose I just grew accustomed to it. It got worse when I was 18, after a series of traumatic events, and grew exponentially after that.

I never had the social gene my sisters had, tons of friends etc, me and my brother always were the very few friend types, I had friends but only one close one. I really felt alone with my mom died, it was then it very much hit me hard, and I realized I had nobody to help me go through the pain as a wife or gf could and I lost my last parent and I was only 26.

It was secondary school...I think even in primary school I had a fair amount of friends but due to cultural barriers I had family difficulties when it came to interacting with other parents and their children. Secondary school however....was one of the worst periods of my life and I am so glad I've put it behind me. I used to think about how many times I was alone during the days and how I never had the right people around. I do wish I stood up for myself and I only learnt how to do so in the past few years since university and beyond.

I think the experiences we have as children and young adults shape our perception and ability to deal with the adult world. So if you're lonely when you're young...there's a good chance you'll be lonely throughout some large periods of your life.

About five years ago when my marriage started failing and I was always scrambling for work (******* recession!!!!).

And I began feeling less lonely last fall when I made a very good friend at work.

Now I've got no time to be lonely- too much good stuff going on :D

For me, loneliness emerged when I dropped out of high school. I had no 'friends' or 'family' to speak to about it, and... things just kind of got worse from there.

Since i remember myself im feeling lonely..id say around the age of 5..it gets harder and easier....now its harder than it ever was...

Probably about 3 or 4, the first time I really remember it. Sitting in the driveway, watching my sister play games with all the other kids in the street (even ones my own age), being told frequently that they didn't even really want me to watch them, let alone be allowed to join in. Playing with my toys in my room, alone, while my sister had her friends around. Stuff like that.

There was a time in grade school and middle school where I always tried to be friends with people and we always got along, or so I thought. People never really invited me to do anything when they had parties or gatherings. With my family being broken apart by divorce since I was five, it was just common not to invite anyone over because my mother always made a big deal of everything and was always angry or sad. Then highschool started and I made the best friends in the world. They were all seniors when I was a freshman but we had a really good time. We still hangout and talk from time to time, but it's not the same as it was back then. They are all moving on with careers, college and their relationships leaving me behind. For some reason, I'm just not memorable or friend worthy to most people.

My loneliness has come and gone through out my life. But recently, it was when I got dumped, and I realized I had no one to go do anything or talk with anymore.

Latest posts

Back