Anybody else feel like the world is in decline?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelydoc

Reaction score
It's hard to get excited about the world anymore, it really is.

We have overpopulated the planet and are rapidly using the nonrenewable resources. People chase after money and the perfect life and step over everybody in their way. Everybody is addicted to their little screens. Unless you're a multimillionaire, you're screwed. The Middle East is in perpetual war and ready to drag everybody else in.

Music, movies, and entertainment are all the same old thing, over and over again, year after after. There is nothing new.

I wish for a collapse, I really do! At least there would be some real excitement.

Don't want to depress people, just want to see if anyone agrees.

Nope, don't agree at all. It's apathy such as yours that makes things seem 'hopeless' (not that I think things are)- change starts with all of us, sitting on the sidelines waiting seems pointless when there's things we're all capable if to make things better. It doesn't have to be a huge thing that gets a lot of attention, small gestures and acts add up as well.

lonelydoc said:
I wish for a collapse, I really do! At least there would be some real excitement.

I harbor those same hopes, but to different degree. I want change, and humans are a reactive species for the most part. At this point in western civilization, it will take a collapse, a major one, to change the status quoe as it is right now.

jjessea said:
lonelydoc said:

I harbor those same hopes, but to different degree. I want change, and humans are a reactive species for the most part. At this point in western civilization, it will take a collapse, a major one, to change the status quoe as it is right now.

Such thought provoking.

I think I recall thinking this way, that the world is going downhill, when though my eyes, in deep dark place and I realized, that, the world does indeed have many beautiful impressions that great people have achieved. Technology has brought many fast and amazing changes for us all, and even though, there have been, and probably always will be devastation of some sort, that humanity may or may not cause, and others help and clean it up.
It's hard to see it when your caught in decline, you tend to see *only decline*..
I also believe its a myth that the world is overpopulated. Cities on the other hand can be clogged and little islands too.
where I live, they knocked down all the high rise blocks with hardly any people in, and built small houses on the land...why? if the world was truelly overpopulated, they would never have knocked them down in the first place.
I', not a multimillionare and I don't do so badly. but then i look on the bright side of life and look to appreciation to what i have and am.

The most amusing thing regarding the anarchy, mayhem, and collapse wishing crowd is that they've given little thought about the really big question- what happens next? Does the world reboot itself into some kind of Utopia for the everyday man? Is there peace, love, harmony, and equality everywhere? My guess is things would get really bad, whatever safety net many of us currently know would totally disappear....and if you've withdrawn from the world as it is right now what chance are you gonna have when the honeysuckle hits the fan? I personally have no interest in fighting for scraps to feed my daughter, worrying about how I'm going to make it through each day, and living in a state of constant paranoia.

I grow a permaculture garden and do things to help myself and the world survive, but I couldn't do without a nice cup of coffee in the morning, thanks to those amazing shipments from Columbia and the hard working people that supply it.

I tend to think this way. But sometimes I think it is just that the world has changed. I went from 3 channels to 600 and a mini computer with several avenues for news. I think the news companies have to have something to put up there so they puff up things that have gone on forever and ever. 20 years ago... you might hear a story about the middleast but now... there is a steady stream of larger and larger panic headlines. In the 70s they didn't really cover it as much as they do now.

That said, I do think the overpopulation thing is at the heart of all our problems. There hasn't been a major killing thing in a long time.. such as a war or a sickness. We talk about the economy / lack of job. Perhaps there are too little jobs because there are too many people. Is the scary truth that in order to have things get better for the "many" we have to kill a whole bunch of people with like a massive war or sickness? Talk about the purge huh?

I am just glad I am living now and probably things won't get bad until after I am gone.

lonelydoc said:
It's hard to get excited about the world anymore, it really is.

We have overpopulated the planet and are rapidly using the nonrenewable resources. People chase after money and the perfect life and step over everybody in their way. Everybody is addicted to their little screens. Unless you're a multimillionaire, you're screwed. The Middle East is in perpetual war and ready to drag everybody else in.

Music, movies, and entertainment are all the same old thing, over and over again, year after after. There is nothing new.

I could not agree more Ldoc. My feelings exactly, i couldn't add a thing that would sum things up more succinctly. Sometimes i feel the human race has no right to go on doing to itself and our Mother Earth what it does, and should just phase out of existence.
What i'm also seeing is an inane and prurient worship of celebrity and a society enmeshed in mass hysteria driven by the vapid television content pumped into everyone's home. The inmates have control of the asylum. :(

More much deep here. Say what you will about the Judeo-Christian heritage, it produced social cohesion and a shared value system. There are no universally shared values now aside from a respect for personal freedom and property rights. Want to ditch your spouse of 20+ years you no longer find attractive? Fine, whatever, at this point society is more likely to judge you for sticking by them and not putting your own happiness first.

Politics has become more polarizing and antagonistic, a sign that people are turning to more extreme viewpoints to fill the void. For example those Tea Party nutters of yours who dream of some Randian style Libertopia where the poor get their just deserts, or far left progressives that frame everything in identity politics terms; unless you're a minority lesbian earth mother you're a privileged piece of honeysuckle with no right to exist.

Entertainment is more violent and sadistic as a way to compensate for the lack of originality and heart. Oh and thanks to the producers of American Idol, 'The Voice' and other such shows for putting the final nails in the music industry coffin.

ardour said:
Okay I've depressed myself.

LOL, thinking about contemporary life will do that ardour:D
I wish i had the vision to see how things will shake out ultimately...
then again, i don't really...
might be even MORE depressing then i can envision:(

LonelySutton said:
That said, I do think the overpopulation thing is at the heart of all our problems. There hasn't been a major killing thing in a long time.. such as a war or a sickness. We talk about the economy / lack of job. Perhaps there are too little jobs because there are too many people. Is the scary truth that in order to have things get better for the "many" we have to kill a whole bunch of people with like a massive war or sickness? Talk about the purge huh?

Not sure that's something to wish for.

Don't you think, when it comes down to it, the anxious, lonely, introverted, etc, would be the first to go in a so-called "purge"? Lack of a social network is not really a plus when it comes to dealing with catastrophes, IMO.

LonelySutton said:

So I'm guessing if it starts happening in your neck of the woods you'll happily submit to being offed?

That's the kind of complacency that allowed for horrors such as The Holocaust, how can anyone casually comment on 'purging' so casually? Very cold....

WildernessWildChild said:
So I'm guessing if it starts happening in your neck of the woods you'll happily submit to being offed?

I am not advocating a purge. But I do find it interesting that we do see movies like this coming out. I think that does speak of a reality. A fact that is impossible to ignore. That maybe wars and sickness do serve a purpose in the natural order of things. A lot of people think that the wild is cruel and it is, I can't watch animals get sick or kill, but it serves a purpose for nature.

I think at some point we are going to have to start limiting children like China.

I actually think a lot of the medical advice / GMO food is just a sneaky way of purging the population. Many studies show that Vitamin D can reduce cancer rates and reduce cancer severity. But they are discredited constantly and obscured with flawed studies to make people doubt. No wars, no sickness, less cancer... yikes we would be in dire straights population wise. .

I agree about the "Judeo-Christian heritage, it produced social cohesion and a shared value system" -- I think it was a mistake to reject it. Though I think a lot of parents do see this and quietly instill this in their children. I find it ironic that Maddona did raise her children with the church (and others) after all her rejection of it. My brother never goes to church but sends his son to catholic school and has him do the sacraments.

lonelydoc said:

Yes, I do believe that the world is in decline, as these things tends to be cyclical, but I do no to wish for it to collapse.

Has anybody here gone through some deeply traumatic experience in their life? Has anybody who wish for things to go worse already experienced the pain of losing everything they held dear? And if you did, do you want to relive it? There’s no real joy in watching things implode if you really know what it does to people. Even if life makes you a nihilist, to desire for chaos to happen to the world as a whole would be more malignant than justified.

Things don’t get better when a catastrophe its, and when the worst comes nobody is truly prepared for it and nobody is laughing. That sense of vindication witnessing a perverted system devouring itself doesn't happen in real life; unless you are the destroyer. Losing everything is rarely a cathartic experience.

Hey, guess what, your wish is happening with all these planes crashing. So happy to see that an Australian family lost all their children! ... no!!!!! This shouldn't be happening! And all those thousands other people who are now mourning their loved ones. Taiwan, Algeria, Malaysian planes. They are in pain right now. And why? Because the world is slowly collapsing. I seriously hope this will be the end of all this stuff. Because as a young adult - this makes me scared. Do we really have to grow up in a world where people want the world to collapse because they want change? You can achieve change without having to hurt millions of people.

Great, you wish for a collapse. Fantastic. I hope there won't be a collapse. There's already enough sadness as there is.

Find something that excites you. Don't have such destroying thoughts - the world doesn't need a collapse.

Latest posts

Back