Is There a Stigma with Dating Younger Men?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barky

Reaction score
Curious to hear if there's a stigma amongst women with dating younger men.

At least around here, people won't give two shits about it unless it's pretty apparent the guy is much younger. Then again, it has more to do with the age gap itself than with the gender of the older/younger partner, I think. It can only be tricky because if the woman in the relationship is older (3+ years) chances are she's better off financially and owns a car already, she might be smarter, etc, etc, etc... It's sad but true that most guys dislike not having the upper hand on relationships.

*is considering asking a couple of years younger guy out*

I think it depends on multiple factors. But I know a 27-year-old who's dating a 20-year-old, and she's definitely met with some disapproval (though not as much as I might have expected, so I think the stigma is lifting a bit).

To me, if they are both happy then everyone should just butt out and leave them alone.

Besides, it probably more jealousy than any moral indignation.

My 2 cents there.

^agree with The Ed.

I'm 47 dating a 41 year old who most guess for 35....and we're both secure adults who feel like we're teens again. It's kinda cool :)

I dated younger guys all the time. I had fun, and I don't recall anyone hassling me for it. :)

I think once you get older, age doesn't matter as much. You are an adult dating another adult. Right now though, I am 24, and I rather not date a guy younger than me, because then you are starting to get into those teenage years. And that would be weird....

Let's pretend there's no stigma. More options for everyone that way, which is a good thing.

Ymir said:
Uhhhhhh, I'm not sure if I'm going to for several reasons but his age is not one of them.

:(

I always like hearing of women asking men out. Makes me think it might happen to me one day. Pretty unlikely...

Hahaha, I asked a lot of people out. I asked my crush of two years out because why not (got rejected), I asked a random waiter from Rio out (he had two kids so no), I asked a classmate out and it was fun but I really hate the idea of kissing so now while I do find this younger dude cute, I also think he's somewhat creepy and not the kind of dude who would accept just something casual, as well as I'm not sure if I'm going to be comfortable enough for any sort of physical contact.

But asking guys out is pretty fun. It might happen to you someday.

Nah, everyone thinks I'm scary. That's what they tell me anyway...I really have no idea why.

There may still be a stigma but not as much as there used to be. But I would choose to ignore it because you want your options to be wide open. I believe if you aren't open to a wide range of possibilities you close off your options for love. So why not be open to 3:

1. Younger men
2. Men same age
3. Older men

Older men have been dating younger women for a very long time. Therefore it's just as much all right for older women to date younger men and I wouldn't buy into the women mature faster than men BS. Because this would mean a man never matures. For example if a 25 year old woman is advised to go for a 30 year old man, then why is it that once a woman is 35, that same 30 year old man is no longer good enough for her? My advice? Date human beings. Date adults. Age is just a number.

However, there is a point where I draw the line. I'm 40. To me a 21 year old man is almost a child. No thanks. Want a guideline? What about the formula? Take half your age and add 7. That's your minimum on how young you can date. For my age the youngest would be 27, according to the formula. 27, yummy. :)

jjessea said:
Nah, everyone thinks I'm scary. That's what they tell me anyway...I really have no idea why.

Maybe keep trying until you find a guy who doesn't think so? :)

ladyforsaken said:
Maybe keep trying until you find a guy who doesn't think so? :)

I get hit on by plenty of gay dudes all the time, that's not my problem.

I'm tellin ya though, my life would make so much more sense if I were gay. Just sayin

Latest posts

Back