Skype Versions Getting Retired

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LonesomeLoner

They won't allow old versions of skype to work soon, the rollout is happening now. You will need to install the latest version or go without (yes very stupid and totally pathetic)

There are a number of reasons why it's good to keep what we have... I won't go into that here...

My hope is that somewhere, somebody will find a way to get the older versions to work again, after that rollout occurs. It's been done with MSN Messenger so must be possible.

If anybody here finds out before me, please let me know, or I'll post here if I find something.

For more info check this page:
http://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-t...for-windows-and-os-x-forces-users-to-upgrade/

I'm guessing skypekit on Trillian won't work either after this update. Sadness.

I cannot stand Skype software and currently use Trillian, but Trillian links accounts using some old method to link to your TV somehow. If they do not remove this feature I'd assume it would still work fine.

Skype's been shitty since Microsoft bought it. Is this really any surprise they're trying to stop older versions - meaning those versions that wouldn't update to the newest in products such as the PSP - from working altogether? No surprise to me Microsoft has bought out something they want and then removing all competition. They're crybabies for goodness' sake. If they can't use it, they don't want anyone else to, and they buy out every contract possible just to try and gain the upper hand.

No.. no.. no.. as if what it does to me isn't bad enough already.... sucky Skype.. I wish the majority of people would just stop using it and use something more stable and reliable. Seriously. I'm only stuck using Skype cos most people do....

ladyforsaken said:
No.. no.. no.. as if what it does to me isn't bad enough already.... sucky Skype.. I wish the majority of people would just stop using it and use something more stable and reliable. Seriously. I'm only stuck using Skype cos most people do....

Yeah, there's lots of other programs, but either out of laziness or not wanting to try anything else, people don't even know or care to use anything else.

^Yeah.. that sucks though.

Anyway - I GOT THE E-MAIL! I don't want to update. The last time I did update Skype it just.. wasn't working so well. Meh.

If anybody knows any good alternates feel free to share. Personally I'm after something that has IM chatting as well because I don't like video or voice calls

Trillian all the way. This move from WLM to Skype was the worst thing ever IMO.

LonesomeLoner said:
If anybody knows any good alternates feel free to share. Personally I'm after something that has IM chatting as well because I don't like video or voice calls

Well, I don't know about typing IM chats, but there's plenty of alternatives, not sure if they're any better than Skype, however. You've Razer Comms, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Raidcall, Oovoo, and Mumble. And many more.

Eh, I don't know. I don't mind the new skype. Used Oovoo for a long while and that used so much bandwith and it slowed my computer and basically I hated it, lol.

9006 said:
This move from WLM to Skype was the worst thing ever IMO.

Can't agree more.

Rainbows said:
Eh, I don't know. I don't mind the new skype. Used Oovoo for a long while and that used so much bandwith and it slowed my computer and basically I hated it, lol.

I do use Ooovoo too, so far it is fine for me. Much better than Skype at least. The video/voice calls on it are more stable than Skype - the last time I tried them both to compare.

What does that mean in a practical way?
Does that mean that the Skype I have installed on my laptop wont be functioning anymore? Contacts lost and all?
Its only about some support or updates, right?

Mr.YellowCat said:
What does that mean in a practical way?
Does that mean that the Skype I have installed on my laptop wont be functioning anymore? Contacts lost and all?
Its only about some support or updates, right?

You will just have to install the latest version. Apparently it will log you out, then give a message to install it.. (not happened to me so far)

You won't lose contacts but you may need to check the settings after installing the new version.

Also the new version has annoying adverts. You can remove them with a control panel trick apparently. If anybody wants the link on how to do so, I'll share it.

LonesomeLoner said:
You will just have to install the latest version. Apparently it will log you out, then give a message to install it.. (not happened to me so far)

You won't lose contacts but you may need to check the settings after installing the new version.

Also the new version has annoying adverts. You can remove them with a control panel trick apparently. If anybody wants the link on how to do so, I'll share it.

Hasn't happened to me either so far.

And I'd love to know how to remove the annoying adverts, thank you.

I just downloaded the install file from the skype site and installed it over my existing one, its now updated.

Skype has really gone downhill with all the ads and limiting the video on a group chat.

NightHawkJohn said:
I just downloaded the install file from the skype site and installed it over my existing one, its now updated.

Skype has really gone downhill with all the ads and limiting the video on a group chat.

Oh joy. Of course the update wasn't going to make it any better, right. Who are we kidding here.. it's Skype. Lol.

ladyforsaken said:
LonesomeLoner said:

Hasn't happened to me either so far.

And I'd love to know how to remove the annoying adverts, thank you.

Follow the instructions here. Let me know if it works.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-ads-in-skypes-chat-window/

P.S. also remember to disable promotions in the skype settings, they are adverts too :)

Latest posts

Back