So it happened.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1andonly1

Reaction score
I lost my best friend, my dog - 2 weeks ago this Thursday.

I feel incredibly empty without her around the house.

Ain't life great?

(can't even bring myself to posting, sickening)

I'm so sorry, I know there are no words in this situation that can make you feel better, but just give yourself time. The pain will never 100% go away but it will subside and the pain will be filled with good memories of her.
I hope you feel better soon and if you ever want to talk PM me.

Hey, I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences. Hope you are holding up strong, although I know it must be hard, as you said above. Please take care.

If anything, I can say I have an Idea of how you feel. Especially since such losses have occurred to me in times when there was no one else to listen to me, because the people I lost were all I had. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

I'm really sorry. I am still upset about my first show dog dying, and that was years ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart just aches for you. I am currently caring for a dog with terminal cancer and I will soon have to make the decision to put him to peace. It's heartbreaking to lose our 4 legged best friends.

I am very sorry to hear that. This is something I worry about, myself, all the time. I am constantly dreading it and I wish there was something I could do. I know how close a person can get to their dog.

Some people don't understand that dogs and pets are people too, sometimes better than people. I hope that you can find a bit of company for these sad days, or at least some distraction.

Peaches said:
Some people don't understand that dogs and pets are people too, sometimes better than people. I hope that you can find a bit of company for these sad days, or at least some distraction.

You got that right. They're fantastic to have around, they really brighten up your life and make you feel so good.

One quote related to dogs that I like is...
"I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Littlesecret, the pain can't subside fast enough. I dread waking up every morning, wishing I wouldn't wake up.

Thanks Ladyforsaken, Aqualonde, Nicolelt, it's tough isn't it?

Shaye, I hope you make the right decision at the right time.
The drive to the vets was surreal and the hardest thing to go through, ever.
I wish you nothing but strength and courage for that day.

SkaFish, thanks. I was dreading it for a good 2-3years because I could see her slowing down, aging, etc. It's tough, just to let you know.

Sk66rc, no, not right now, I couldn't do it. I'd feel like I'm "cheating or replacing" for lack of better words, my dog and I went through a lot and because of it, she was very timid. (her earlier years were with me at my father's house who was a mentally abusive alcoholic, very vitriolic guy)
So of course this made her a timid, dog and I feel terribly guilty for adopting her for it.

Now that I'm out of that situation, I feel like it wouldn't be fair that some new dog gets a crack at a better situation while my other dog didn't.

Shaye said:
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart just aches for you. I am currently caring for a dog with terminal cancer and I will soon have to make the decision to put him to peace. It's heartbreaking to lose our 4 legged best friends.

I'm so sorry :(

I know how you feel. I miss my own dog so much. I don't even think any other death I've experienced was as hard.

Good luck getting through this, I'm sure your dog was grateful for the life she got to live beside you.

Nitramici said:
I know how you feel. I miss my own dog so much. I don't even think any other death I've experienced was as hard.

Good luck getting through this, I'm sure your dog was grateful for the life she got to live beside you.

Thanks Nitramici, you're right, her death is/was and will probably be the hardest to deal with.
They're so INCREDIBLY unconditional and that feeling they give you everyday when you walk through the door, you just can't get that anywhere else.
I really believe that. Animals are incredible to have around and that's why it blows my mind, why a good chunk of people simply dismiss them.

Incognita said:
get another one....

It's not quite that simple. Maybe for some people, but from experience I think it's pretty normal to have a lengthy grieving period and not just run out and 'replace' your lost pet. For a lot of us, our pets are our family - that's like losing a child, and someone saying 'Oh, just have another one."

1andonly1 - I am truly sorry for your loss. I wish I had a copy of a story my best friend wrote - it's called 'A Fair Exchange of Gifts' - it's a story he wrote around Christmastime about what to get his dog, and his feelings about her inevitable aging and eventual loss. It's a really beautiful story, very touching. It helped me immensely when I lost my cat, Jazz.

Hugs to you, and if you ever feel the need to talk to someone who understands , feel free to send me a PM.

1andonly1 said:
I feel incredibly empty without her around the house.

This is what I think about, what I worry about. The emptiness. I know how a dog has so much presence. Even when I am out and not with him, I feel happy knowing he is at home, just knowing he exists. And without him it's like the wholeness will never be there again. It just won't be the same.

I feel bad because at various stages of my dog's life, I was bothered by different outside people and things (which I really shouldn't have let get to me). We had good times but I still fret sometimes thinking I wasted our time together and did not make the most of it. I was never angry at him, but angry and sad about other things. That I was always feeling incomplete even with him. I feel bad for that. I want to be completely happy and share it with him while he is here.

I don't think the people saying "get another one" really get it. A dog is like a best friend, a child, or to me, like baby sibling. They aren't just toys where if your toy breaks you can just forget it and buy another one just like it at the store. They may not be human but they are people, they are family.

SkaFish, you nailed it right on the head, people that say that, don't get it.

They're not toys, they really do become part of your family.
Plus anyone who tells me buy gets a verbal beating from me, because I adopted her from the local Humane Society.
There are A LOT of dogs that need homes, I don't care to support people who profit by selling animals, no thanks.

It's been just over a month and it's hard to wake up without her in my room greeting me or coming back "home" (use that word loosely now, since she's not here).
I miss the walks and time spent at the park or our hikes, but, what can I do. I just have to wait for time to heal me a bit more.

14 years of having her around and now she's gone, it's tough to get used to not having her around.

Man I miss my baby.:(:(:(:(:(:(

3 months today, emptiness, loneliness, no words to describe the feeling of not having your best friend around.

1and only1 sorry to hear of your loss, I lost mine about 10/11 years ago and still to this day when i'm upset i desperately wish she was here. We homed a couple of dogs after her... i think my parents though it would help but it was so naive, you can't just replace a friend like that. Sometimes when i feel particularly bad i curl up holding her collar. It didn't help that i regret the way in which she went, we had to put her down eventually but my parents sent her to a dog hospital. i get that they wanted to do the best for her but seeing as they couldn't do anything anyway i wish i had spent her last few weeks with her not with us seperated.
I miss her so much. She was a huge part of my life from when i was 6 years old to my teenage years, she helped me make new friends when we moved and helped me through being bullied. The pain fades eventually but it never fully goes away.
The best thing you can do is take that love your dog showed you and remember it, try to use it to comfort you when you need. Maybe one day you will find a new furry friend but for now all you can do is honour their memory and live as best you can and as they would've wanted you to xx

Latest posts

Back