Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking of getting a cell phone.
I never had a cell phone before and was wondering if people can get one that works for two weeks at a time, or is it you pay by the hour? What happens when your time runs out? Are prepaid phones disposable? How does all this work?

And have a nice day everyone. Smile
I can't help you, I don't even have one myself. I thought I was alone!

I'd get one if I had a reason to, but I'd rather avoid the expense right now.

Good luck with your future purchase.
(07-22-2014, 05:27 PM)johnny196775 Wrote: I never had a cell phone before and was wondering if people can get one that works for two weeks at a time, or is it you pay by the hour? What happens when your time runs out? Are prepaid phones disposable? How does all this work?

Prepaid phones can be cheap enough that you could throw them out. Though, I don't see why you'd buy something that can be used again if you were just going to throw it out. There are plenty of month-by-month plans. I don't know if there any bi-weekly or hourly, but monthly, surely are plentiful.
Roasting Fire - No Rules, free-for-all Discord server not connected to ALL.

https://discord.gg/RKVtZ4M
You can buy a pre-paid and pay to refill minutes a little at a time. The minutes go faster than you think, and it can get very expensive. I wouldn't recommend it unless you know for a fact that you'll hardly ever use it.

There are very reasonable pre-paid plans. I've seen them for as low as $30 a month for unlimited minutes (for a basic phone, which hardly anyone uses anymore) and $50 or $60 a month for unlimited minutes on a smartphone. I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, Cricket, Verizon and Virgin all have pre-paid plans, depending on the state you're in.

The best option is often a family plan though, so if you have a relative with a phone, you could try and get on their plan.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
My prepaid plan is 45 plus tax. I bought a cheaper smart phone, too. Although, I'm paying for it now. Not literally, but it's rather on the sluggish side. However, I like it anyway.
Roasting Fire - No Rules, free-for-all Discord server not connected to ALL.

https://discord.gg/RKVtZ4M
(07-22-2014, 06:01 PM)Locke Wrote: You can buy a pre-paid and pay to refill minutes a little at a time. The minutes go faster than you think, and it can get very expensive. I wouldn't recommend it unless you know for a fact that you'll hardly ever use it.

This is very true. I had a prepaid phone last year. The minutes went very fast, and I am not a big phone guy at all. All I use the phone for is to find out where and when things are going on, to let people know I'm on my way, and for emergencies, should I need it. In fact, I mostly used texts because they cost 1/3 of a minute instead of a whole minute. And they still went fast.

The other way they get you is time. Even if I didn't use all of my minutes, which I didn't, I still had to buy more minutes by a certain day. Otherwise the minutes would be gone.

I found out about this other phone company though. It's called FreedomPop and apparently, according to my friend who has it, there is no phone bill as long as you stay under a certain limit of minutes and data. I think it's 200 mins a month which refills every month, which is more minutes than I had at all with my pay to go phone. All you have to pay for is the initial cost of the phone, which is like $100 or so. But as far as I've looked into it, beyond that it's free as long as you don't exceed the limit.
If you are interested in connecting on Skype or Facebook, send me a Private Message here and I'll get back to you.
(07-22-2014, 05:27 PM)johnny196775 Wrote: I never had a cell phone before and was wondering if people can get one that works for two weeks at a time, or is it you pay by the hour? What happens when your time runs out? Are prepaid phones disposable? How does all this work?

Get one because they do come in handy !

I bought a very cheap one for £20 about 3 years ago. You can send texts and ring people up, very basic. To get credit I buy top ups. My first £5 lasted an whole year. My brother was the only person who wanted my number. Now a few people have my number and I get the odd text. Nothing compared to everybody else though !
When I go into the cell phone store or wherever i buy the thing, how do they get activated?

And thank you all for your replies.
Depends whether you want a smartphone or not. (The smartphones are the iPhones and the Samsungs, the fancy ones that let you use apps and play games and stuff). You can get a basic phone, ie one just for using as a phone, for next to nothing, then top up your credit as you need to. I'm not sure about smartphone tariffs where you are but in the UK you normally pay a set amount every month for 12/24 months. If you don't mind paying more upfront you can buy the phone outright and then you're not committed to any long-term monthly payment.
I do NOT want a smart phone. The dumbest phone possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you thinking right now? ThatOneGuy 46,086 2,727,544 39 minutes ago
Last Post: Yukongirl
Exclamation What are you feeling, hoping, thinking, or remembering right now? Skorian 5,852 383,278 07-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Idol Minos
  Ever gone through an entire day thinking it was the wrong day of the week? Revengineer 49 14,087 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Meaw
  How often do you shed a tear thinking about yourself or longing for something? LastingPain 23 2,010 04-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Jack Rainier
  Positive Thinking 9006 33 10,902 02-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Last Post: wallflower79
  Do you need your Cell phone ? BadGuy 25 2,122 03-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Last Post: blackdot
  Cell phones sk66rc 35 3,677 06-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Blossomforth
  Cell phone background sk66rc 19 2,220 04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Nightwing
  Cell phones... sk66rc 10 1,681 03-26-2014, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Forever Misanthrope
  Moving soon! Looking forward to positive thinking and self improvement! :) Tylor 6 6,969 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Last Post: SophiaGrace