Older people, why do you still live?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ordinaryDude

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 27, and I think life unnecessarily long. It's okay until the mid twenties and then life starts changing, you get older and then it's much more fun.

So, my question to older people, people in their 30s, 40s, 50s and above, why are still alive? Living is hard work, how do you motivate yourself to do this hard work?

Look at the universe, how long it has taken to become what it is. Our minute ecosystem 'earth', The land, its inhabitance and the environments are forever changing. A mere 50-100 years is nothing, its a single heartbeat in time, the phrase 'Life's too short' came about for a reason. When one has passion and a driving force in life, it passes by far too quickly. (Typically, family/friends/loved ones/hobbies/trying to forge a better future for the next generation)

Think of the things you may never get to see, all the 'once in a life-time' events that have passed you by. It encourages you to experience that which is 'life'.

Sitting idle, watching a clock tick by may give you the impression that life is dragging but it is the individual who is ignoring life's wonders that is to blame for this false impression.

Embrace your passions and individualism and living wont feel like such an effort. It wont be 'hard work' and there wont be any problem with motivation.

WildernessWildChild said:
Living is hard work? The fresia you talkin' about?

It's indeed hard work. To live, you must eat, and to eat you must earn money, to live respectfully you must earn more money, and money is always hard work unless you are supremely talented and intelligent. And you don't have to be rude.

ordinaryDude said:
WildernessWildChild said:
Living is hard work? The fresia you talkin' about?

It's indeed hard work. To live, you must eat, and to eat you must earn money, to live respectfully you must earn more money, and money is always hard work unless you are supremely talented and intelligent. And you don't have to be rude.

LOL- you think that's rude? Methinks someone's a bit sensitive.

MrPaul said:
Look at the universe, how long it has taken to become what it is. Our minute ecosystem 'earth', The land, its inhabitance and the environments are forever changing. A mere 50-100 years is nothing, its a single heartbeat in time, the phrase 'Life's too short' came about for a reason. When one has passion and a driving force in life, it passes by far too quickly. (Typically, family/friends/loved ones/hobbies/trying to forge a better future for the next generation)

Think of the things you may never get to see, all the 'once in a life-time' events that have passed you by. It encourages you to experience that which is 'life'.

Sitting idle, watching a clock tick by may give you the impression that life is dragging but it is the individual who is ignoring life's wonders that is to blame for this false impression.

Embrace your passions and individualism and living wont feel like such an effort. It wont be 'hard work' and there wont be any problem with motivation.

I found the word "passion" is almost nonexistent and if there is passion you can't make a living out of it unless you are supremely gifted in your passion.

ordinaryDude said:
MrPaul said:

I found the word "passion" is almost nonexistent and if there is passion you can't make a living out of it unless you are supremely gifted in your passion.

You have to work to live. Yep, that's life. And most people are not in jobs they are passionate about, again, that is life. But there are so many things in life to passionate about. Even if it is just reading books. Guess what, the library lets you check those out for free, and you can do it in your spare time. You don't have to make money at your passion. And like Paul said, there are so many events in this world that make lit wore living.

Nicolelt said:
ordinaryDude said:
MrPaul said:

You have to work to live. Yep, that's life. And most people are not in jobs they are passionate about, again, that is life. But there are so many things in life to passionate about. Even if it is just reading books. Guess what, the library lets you check those out for free, and you can do it in your spare time. You don't have to make money at your passion. And like Paul said, there are so many events in this world that make lit wore living.

1/3rd of your life you spend by sleeping, 7/12th of your life you spend by doing necessary things like working, eating, cleaning yourself and house. The rest, 1/12th part of your life, a very small portion, in which you may be able to enjoy a little, but at times even that time goes by with worrying thoughts. So, it's clear we normal mediocre ordinary human beings have very little spare time to enjoy. Is it worth to put all this loads of hard work just to get this tiny portion of time to enjoy? I think not.

Very little of what is worth having is easy. That includes life. You make it what you have, if you don't like what you have, either change it or change your perspective of it.

Hard work is it's own reward...

I enjoy working even when it's not for money. Digging a garden is rewarding. Building some shelving is rewarding. Doing some DIY is rewarding. Tidying my home is rewarding. They're just the things you've got to do when you're an adult and completing each one makes me feel better about myself.

The hard work also makes you appreciate your downtime much more than you do when every day is yours to do whatever you wish.

Cavey said:

I enjoy working even when it's not for money. Digging a garden is rewarding. Building some shelving is rewarding. Doing some DIY is rewarding. Tidying my home is rewarding. They're just the things you've got to do when you're an adult and completing each one makes me feel better about myself.

The hard work also makes you appreciate your downtime much more than you do when every day is yours to do whatever you wish.

Yup +1 for your popularity point thingy for realism and common sense.

Cavey said:

Well I do live alone and everything is DIY, but it's okay for 4/5 years, after that it's just worthless because you don't remain young anymore, life is just too long.

ordinaryDude said:
Cavey said:

Well I do live alone and everything is DIY, but it's okay for 4/5 years, after that it's just worthless because you don't remain young anymore, life is just to long.

DIY worthless? I think not. I've built and/or renovated seven houses of my own, supervised and handed over about fifty others, and framed well over a hundred houses in the last thirty years, it definitely wasn't worthless, it's been incredibly fulfilling to be honest. I'm currently finishing off my eighth one (complete tear-down and rebuild) and already have ideas for the next two I'd like to build.

At 47 I'm just as healthy and active as I was at 27- life definitely isn't long enough!

I'm 27, soon to be 28, but I feel really old. I feel like my time has come but I didn't know it, and now it has gone as silently as it came. Now I feel like it's too late to start over again. All my life I thought I was stuck being average and I made my choices based on that idea - choices that were safe but boring. Now I wish I could start over again. I really wish I could do these last 14 years over again. In childhood everything was so clear, but after that, it seems that everything I did was the wrong choice and now here I am so far away from who I wish I could be.

No, I feel like life is much too short.

TheSkaFish said:
I'm 27, soon to be 28, but I feel really old. I feel like my time has come but I didn't know it, and now it has gone as silently as it came. Now I feel like it's too late to start over again. All my life I thought I was stuck being average and I made my choices based on that idea - choices that were safe but boring. Now I wish I could start over again. I really wish I could do these last 14 years over again. In childhood everything was so clear, but after that, it seems that everything I did was the wrong choice and now here I am so far away from who I wish I could be.

You're 27 for god's sake. You're such a pessimist. You feel like your time has come when it has barely begun. What would you do when you went back 14 years?

TheSkaFish said:

People in there 20s that say they are old? Really?!?!?! I'm still a kid! Yea, I was dumb in the past, but that is the past. Do I wish I redo it? No, because at that time in my life I felt like that was the right decision.

Nicolelt said:
TheSkaFish said:

People in there 20s that say they are old? Really?!?!?! I'm still a kid! Yea, I was dumb in the past, but that is the past. Do I wish I redo it? No, because at that time in my life I felt like that was the right decision.

Not related to the thread, but why does the dog in your profile picture have a penis sticking out of its knee?

PieBeNice said:
Nicolelt said:
TheSkaFish said:

Not related to the thread, but why does the dog in your profile picture have a penis sticking out of its knee?

It is his tail, dear.

Latest posts

Back