Life in American High Schools

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slendy

Reaction score
Hello there! I'm a student from Greece and at the summer of 2015 maybe we gonna move to Memphis or Denver. I want so much to go to the USA because I have seen that it's pretty awesome. The only thing that I worry about is the first days and the thing that I worry the most is when I start school, how I'll make friends or how I can avoid being a bullying victim because I'm not American... I have heard and seen so much about bullying in the USA and I'm a little bit afraid.
I'd like you to tell me how to behave and what to do to avoid being a bullying victim and make friends at the same time. I would also like you to give me some information about American tennagers' life..

It depends on the part of US you move too. American teenagers in my area are obsessed with people from other countries, in a positive way. You're like, instantly cool. I shall it when I was a student, and now as a teacher.

I don't see a lot of bullying anymore in school like I did when I was in high school. It happens more on Facebook, Twitter, etc, now. The kids that I see get picked on at my school are actually the ones that disrupt class. The other kids find that annoying.

Well, it looks like you can speak English pretty well. So that's a good start. To find friends, I'd say you should look for people who like the same things as you. What kind of things do you like to do and talk about? Don't be afraid to be the real you - show your interests proudly. I do this now, but I did not do it back then and I feel like I could have been happier if I'd been more expressive of the things I like. If they are available, maybe join some teams or clubs of your interests and you'll meet other people who really like that stuff too.

Also, don't be shy. Be friendly, and people will feel at ease with you. Even the littlest things, like saying "hi" to someone you know in the hallway.

As far as avoiding bullying, a couple things to keep in mind. One, I think bullying has actually decreased over the years. I haven't been to a high school in 10 years now, but even back then, there really wasn't much of it. Two, carry yourself well. Look people in the eye, speak up, and walk tall. Bullies are cowards and look for easy targets, not confident people. Three - and this is the hardest one - you have to realize that sometimes, people will bully you anyway. Even if you weren't new to this country, they would just find some other excuse. You just have to remember that it's not your fault. Some people just choose to be jerks. Thankfully, there are not that many people like that.

Long story short, I think you'll be fine. Just remember to be friendly and most people will like you! :)

slendy said:
Hello there! I'm a student from Greece and at the summer of 2015 maybe we gonna move to Memphis or Denver. I want so much to go to the USA because I have seen that it's pretty awesome. The only thing that I worry about is the first days and the thing that I worry the most is when I start school, how I'll make friends or how I can avoid being a bullying victim because I'm not American... I have heard and seen so much about bullying in the USA and I'm a little bit afraid.
I'd like you to tell me how to behave and what to do to avoid being a bullying victim and make friends at the same time. I would also like you to give me some information about American tennagers' life..

Yes, I agree with nicolelt here. You might be excluded if people don't like you, but actively being picked on doesn't really happen that much, and those who do it are usually unpopular themselves.

I don't think you should try and act any way in particular. Don't act in an unnatural way, rather just how you usually act. I won't lie and say this is because "people will definitely like you," but the "friends" you make while acting in a fake way would not like you for who you really are, so your "friendship" wouldn't be real.

Seek people with similar personalities/interests. Join a social group that you belong to, rather than worrying about pleasing everyone.

I wouldn't go to Denver or Memphis if I were you. Stick to the Northeast, Florida or the West Coast and you should be fine.

Since you're not from the U.S., you'll probably be fine.

In my experience, students in high school are fascinated with foreigners.

Just be yourself and I think you'll do well.

Latest posts

Back