Comfort Eating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LonesomeLoner

Does anybody else do this a lot?

I suffer depression and now I don't have any friends any more, for a few years now my comfort eating has become a bit of a problem. I now am almost becoming overweight for my age, (25) The main issue is boredom...

Anybody know any tips on how to overcome this? I don't need to join a gym or go running, just need tips on how to overcome this habit.

Also if you comfort eat, why? What makes you do it?

I don't comfort eat, so I can't relate completely to this, but I would guess this would be similar to a number of other issues.

IMO, you need to find something to replace the eating. That could be finding a hobby or (don't kill me) joining a gym or any number of things. You need to keep yourself busy, so you don't take yourself to comfort eating. Mind over matter, really.
Also, if you feel the need to comfort eat, try to go for healthier food and not junk (yes, I know it kind of defeats the purpose).

Drinking something like tea helped me to cut back on unnecessary snacks. I keep some variety in the kitchen now to keep me from having a third cup of coffee on any given day, too.

Mostly it's boredom that has me sipping at something, and because of this I just don't keep soda in the house to pair with a meal instead of water. Soda doesn't exactly go well with baked chicken and veggies, anyway, not the way it goes with pizza.

I used to snack to comfort myself. But it's bad really, so now it's very limited. I seldom snack on stuff anymore now, usually only do when the time of the month comes :s hate it but that's besides the point.

I find that if you put your focus to something else to comfort you, it might help. Like gaming or some chores. Something that occupies your mind quite a bit so you don't think about eating. (Oh just saw that Callie already gave this advice :D )

I chew gum when I feel like I want something to snack on, but know that I shouldn't. I don't exactly comfort eat, but I do snack when I really shouldn't. I think I prefer snacking over eating whole meals for the most part. But chewing gum, I guess it's like, if my mouth is busy anyway, just not eating food, I'll be fine. Except if you get horrible gum. Winterfresh. It's not that good anymore.

Ah, comfort eating, second only to boredom eating. These two demons I'm all to familiar with.

I've recently lost a fair bit of weight and to be able to do this I had to banish these two, sharpish. While my method worked for me it is certianly not for everyone, and I am most deffinately NOT recommending it! At face value it might seem counter intuative - but you cannot argue with the results!

For me the only thing that works, other than a nice bit of company, is cannabis (I know, I know...). While the munchies are pretty bad at times, they are infinitely easier to deal with/control and ignore than the boredom spectre.

That and Team Fortress 2 (on the pc) - my main map being Dustbowl (I play on an Extreme server, the ones with the very low respawn timer). I can just sit there all day, it becomes hypnotic after a while, especially when playing as medic. Because your constantly blowing folk to bits and clearing out sentry gun nests etc, your hands are always busy (bit like smoking ciggies) and most of all it's great fun!!! And your actually playing with other real life people!

When its Saturday and raining outside and I've no one to talk to - these are my main go to distractions. (If I'm totally honest its Monday thru Sunday rain or shine...)

Say what you will, but 18 months ago my BMI on the NHS website was litterally off the chart - I was weighing in at 115kg (5' 9.5") and I looked shocking. I came off the "diet" about a year ago now when I hit my goal of 87kg (was initially 90kg). Hopped on the scales this morning and I'm coming in at a respectable 81.5kg.

Say what you will but I looked at myself in the mirror a couple of weeks ago and for the first time ever, I could see a bit of definition around my shoulders, from under a Tshirt! one of them Tshirts that have been in a carrier bag at the bottom of my wardrobe for the last 5 years cos I bought them and they were miles to small for me. Not any more, a couple actually look too big now :)

Everyone has their coping mechanisms, please don't think any less of me for mine. Like I said, I'm not recommending this for anyone, I'm simply telling you about my experiences.

Boredom eating is the worst for me, closely followed by boredom drinking, then comfort eating then comfort drinking.

You got to find your own distractions that work for you. This is mine, in the broad scheme of things my substance/alcohol abuse is negligable to what it was 10 years ago. I barely even drink anymore.

There is no chance I'm dealing with this life totally sober, not at the minute anyway.

CT

The problem with comfort eating is that it's only a comfort while you're doing it. As soon as you stop, you've still got the same problems to deal with - only now you're a little bit bigger, a little bit less fit and your clothes fit a little bit worse.

When I separated from my wife, I started sitting around and eating all day instead of facing it. I continued to do this for a few years. When I finally snapped out of it, I found that I had ballooned to almost 250lbs, could barely walk up the stairs without being out of breath and I looked like honeysuckle. My self-esteem was now wrecked - which just led to me wanting to eat more.

The catalyst for my breaking out of this ugly cycle was when we finally divorced. It gave me closure and it removed the excuse I was using for comfort eating. I stopped binge eating, started working out and treated myself in other ways instead. Every time I felt like falling back into old habits, I'd put the money I would have spent away somewhere and then, once it had built up, I'd spend it on something fun and frivolous.

It's worked for me so far...

Thanks for the replies, I shall have to try the chewing gum one as it may occupy me. I already drink tea quite regularly but that hasn't made any difference.

I'm gunna start cutting out certain things from my online shopping too, so there will be nothing to snack on here at home. Hope that works out.

I will most certainly not be smoking weed as that honeysuckle has caused me grief before. Each and to their own I guess :p

LonesomeLoner said:
I'm gunna start cutting out certain things from my online shopping too, so there will be nothing to snack on here at home. Hope that works out.

That actually does help!

Good luck!

I must say, when I cut out sugary drinks such as soda, and drink more water, I feel much better. I drink maybe 2 or 3 sodas a week, and I still think that's too much. It's kind of hard for me to really eat healthy if I were to completely revamp my diet. Money is an issue, but I could work around that if I really had to. But my main issue is all they really get here to eat are unhealthy things. A lot of honey buns, zebra cakes, donut sticks... It really makes me sick to eat so much of that. I don't know how people eat so many sweet things. And I'm not talking about a box or so a month. I mean several boxes per week.

I enjoy drinking tea though, and I really should get some to drink. I used to drink a cup of tea a day a few years ago, and it kept my cravings at bay. And I'll continue to chew gum as well.

I am having trouble with this. I am going through a hard time right now where I need to save money. Food, especially bad food is cheap and it gives me something to do to go to the drive thru. I just want to eat donuts all the time... I have trouble caring about how I look when I know it is such a struggle and I don't feel like struggle just now.

Latest posts

Back