Too made up

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk66rc

Reaction score
I don't think I'm a shallow person... But I admit I do have that certain "looks" about a girl I find attractive... Reason I bring this up is, there's this girl that just started about a week ago... Right off the bat, I saw that her facial features are very attractive to me... Down side of that was, she wears too much makeup for my taste... Everyone to their own & I'm not judging her for it... I just don't like all that makeup on a person... But then I thought to myself, may be she has a scar on her face that she's self-contous about & that's her way of hiding it... I went to work today & I passed by a girl that I thought I haven't seen before... Turns out, it was the same girl but without a stitch of makeup... I mean, none what so ever... And at least for me, I was right... She was very pretty... I thought not wearing any makeup showed her features on her face very well... And I couldn't find any scars or at least I thought there was nothing on her face that she should hide by wearing so much make ups... Don't get me wrong... She didn't give me, or anyone else for that matter, any reason to think she's not a nice person... Brief conversation I had with her & from what others say about her, who works closer to her than I do, she is in fact a very down to earth, warm & kind person...

I do understand wanting to look our best... Most of us just don't roll off of bed then go straight to work or social gathering looking like a homeless bum... But then I don't understand why she would wear so much makeup though... I know it's not my place to tell her but at one point, I just wanted to walk up to her & say, "Ypu know... You look a lot better without so much makeup..." Or something along that line...

Ever seen a girl with makeups that just didn't fit her personality or looks?

Maybe others think she looks better with makeup. Or maybe she just does it because it makes her feel more comfortable. Who knows. *shrugs*

Some girls put on make up to feel more confident.. helps boost their self-esteem. Doesn't even have to be on someone lacking self-esteem.
Some girls want to hide some features they don't like.
Personally, I can't be bothered lol. I'd rather people see me the way I am.

1st I have a comment, it seems on posts like this we apologise for finding someone attractive, there,s nothing wrong with that, it's human nature, part of our make-up we cannot actually control, some people we just find desirable on looks, so if you find someone's looks turn you on, I think it's fine.

That said we aren't all super models (or super-hunks like me :p), and that's also fine.

Yee gads, have I just dug a big hole for myself?

Anyway...

I have to agree with what others have said, it's a personal thing and may give them confidence.

I personally have only really tried lipstick and make-up on my bachelor party... and a dress too...

Oh lawd, I really should think more before I post.

* looks for delete button, hits post instead *

Naaaah, that's just the girls who don't know how make up works. You'd be surprised to know that most make up doesn't show up if you put it on correctly. I remember people commenting how well I looked makeup less when in fact I was using two kinds of foundation, mascara and lipstick; I look on the edge of death when I go out without concealing the dark circles under my eyes.

Plus I don't really buy it when guys say they like girls without makeup. Most of them will find spots, scars and acne unattractive on a girl's face, so basically what they are saying is that we are supposed to have naturally flawless skin and naturally long lashes and what not. What they mean is that they find girls without noticeable make up more attractive.

Sigh- same ol', same ol', nothing quite like misjudging a book by its cover then happily discovering what's inside is kinda fascinating....

there was this musical from the '40ies, On The Town, and these couples who met only for a day and have to separate, and at the end the guy sings :
Haven't had time to wake up,
Seeing you there without your make-up.

Without makeup may be very personal, very intimate (I guess)

personally the maximum of time I can be bothered with it is very short, so I can't hide too much :D
WWC: the unknown can also lead you to very ugly discoveries :D

Peaches said:
WWC: the unknown can also lead you to very ugly discoveries :D

I'd much rather journey and discover than wait and find nothing.

I wore makeup because I wanted to. Don't think it made me look better or worse. I just liked it.

Ymir said:
Naaaah, that's just the girls who don't know how make up works. You'd be surprised to know that most make up doesn't show up if you put it on correctly. I remember people commenting how well I looked makeup less when in fact I was using two kinds of foundation, mascara and lipstick; I look on the edge of death when I go out without concealing the dark circles under my eyes.

Plus I don't really buy it when guys say they like girls without makeup. Most of them will find spots, scars and acne unattractive on a girl's face, so basically what they are saying is that we are supposed to have naturally flawless skin and naturally long lashes and what not. What they mean is that they find girls without noticeable make up more attractive.

Well... I wasn't implying people shouldn't wear make ups... And I know "beauty" is subjective... I was only referring to having "too much"... I personally prefer girls with no make ups or very little... Majority of the girls that I was in a serious relationships with had no make ups at all & rare times they did was when we were going to a special occasions... Shortest "serious relationship" I had was 4 years, longest being 2 weeks shy of 10 years... In 10 years I've known this girl, & lived with for 8 years of it, she put on a make up 3 times... Once at our engagement party which she took off after 2 hours, once at a company sponsored Christmas party & once at a mutual friend's wedding... I wouldn't expect girls to have perfect skins... I just prefer girls with no or very little make up... (Like I said in my op, "all that make ups" meaning not so much of it)...

Ymir said:

I will respond with my own experience. I have never had a lengthy relationship with any woman who wore more than a tiny bit of eye makeup. No foundations, no powders, no extensive lipstick colors, no rouge, no concealers, none of it. It's not that I ever asked any of them to stop wearing makeup. They often never did any in the first place. I just tend to be drawn to women who don't use it. Always have. Probably always will.

And to the acne remark, I had a previous girlfriend who never wore anything. She found even the tiniest bit of makeup to be impractical because she was an outdoorsy type. She liked to run, to sweat, to get into the dust and dirt of horseback riding, etc. She would occasionally have break outs with spots on her face for a variety of reasons, and you know what? It didn't make a bit of difference to me because I loved her just the way she was. Who knows? Maybe I'm a rare commodity? :D

So, when I say I prefer no makeup, I mean zero makeup. Not "unnoticeable" makeup. Nothing. As I think back, I try to imagine any of these women I've dated actually wearing even a moderate amount of makeup, and the thought strikes me as strange because they were not the sort to do that.

Now, I must be clear that I would not criticize a women who does wear makeup. I have a good friend who has acne scarring from her youth, and she will not leave her house without the stuff. She is a wonderful person, and if it makes her feel better about herself, that is the most important part. Besides, it's really not my choice to make, anyway.

I just have yet to be with a woman who uses these products regularly.

Case said:
Ymir said:

I will respond with my own experience. I have never had a lengthy relationship with any woman who wore more than a tiny bit of eye makeup. No foundations, no powders, no extensive lipstick colors, no rouge, no concealers, none of it. It's not that I ever asked any of them to stop wearing makeup. They often never did any in the first place. I just tend to be drawn to women who don't use it. Always have. Probably always will.

And to the acne remark, I had a previous girlfriend who never wore anything. She found even the tiniest bit of makeup to be impractical because she was an outdoorsy type. She liked to run, to sweat, to get into the dust and dirt of horseback riding, etc. She would occasionally have break outs with spots on her face for a variety of reasons, and you know what? It didn't make a bit of difference to me because I loved her just the way she was. Who knows? Maybe I'm a rare commodity? :D

So, when I say I prefer no makeup, I mean zero makeup. Not "unnoticeable" makeup. Nothing. As I think back, I try to imagine any of these women I've dated actually wearing even a moderate amount of makeup, and the thought strikes me as strange because they were not the sort to do that.

Now, I must be clear that I would not criticize a women who does wear makeup. I have a good friend who has acne scarring from her youth, and she will not leave her house without the stuff. She is a wonderful person, and if it makes her feel better about herself, that is the most important part. Besides, it's really not my choice to make, anyway.

I just have yet to be with a woman who uses these products regularly.

Eh, it's alright. I should've worded it better and said most guys. In my experience, MOST guys really don't know how to spot a makeup user at a first, second, third or 20th glance. Unless you've (general you) been following the person around all day and didn't see her putting on make up, it's quite likely that she put some concealer or foundation on and you just can't spot it. Because you aren't really supposed to spot foundation and concealer, which is everyday make up.

In my own experience, guys (as in multiple that I knew or currently know personally) just don't know anything about how make up works and turn around to spew bullshit about not liking make up and pat themselves in the back for not being shallow and valuing personality over looks.

The really good ones I've found don't give a honeysuckle if a woman does or does not wear make up.

But, we are just sharing experiences, so don't take this as arguing. We live in different places, we have different ages, so obviously our experiences are going to differ about this :D

I quote Vanilla.

I wear make-up because I like it - and if you're going to judge me or say I'm somehow like this or that for wearing it, then you're mistaken.

I know a lot of guys who say that girls tend to wear too much makeup. Thing is, most put on what they like. I never did concealers or foundations or anything. All I ever wore was eye makeup, and once every three blue moons, I wore a lipstick. Was my eye makeup too much? Probably to a lot of people it was. I didn't do it in a conventional way. But I liked it, and if anyone told me I wore too much (girl or guy), then my response was that they were more than welcome to purchase their own and do it how they'd like.

Ymir said:
In my own experience, guys (as in multiple that I knew or currently know personally) just don't know anything about how make up works and turn around to spew bullshit about not liking make up and pat themselves in the back for not being shallow and valuing personality over looks.

I agree. This reminds me of a stand-up routine. Comedian Whitney Cummings, whose most recent special is called "I Love You," spends most of her routine explaining how men don't understand what women have to go through just to get out the door every morning. An excerpt is below. It's got some adult language:

[video=youtube]

The only "beauty" product I use is Noxema, I think the results speak for themselves....

[video=youtube]

Like I said, I was referring to "too much" as appose to normal... Besides, here are 2 pictures of a same girl, Emma Watson... One is of her with make up on & one is of her without... Though I think she looks attractive in both pictures, I'm incline to say she looks better to me without all that make up... And I say "all that make up" because in this particular, or specific case, though I don't think she's wearing "too much" make up except may be around her eyes, I still think she's more attractive in the picture without make up on...

Attachments

• emma_1.bmp
    221.6 KB · Views: 30
  • imagesCAQ0FWIY.bmp
    148.5 KB · Views: 24
sk66rc said:
Like I said, I was referring to "too much" as appose to normal... Besides, here are 2 pictures of a same girl, Emma Watson... One is of her with make up on & one is of her without... Though I think she looks attractive in both pictures, I'm incline to say she looks better to me without all that make up... And I say "all that make up" because in this particular, or specific case, though I don't think she's wearing "too much" make up except may be around her eyes, I still think she's more attractive in the picture without make up on...

The only critic I have here is that she probably spends tons of money in cosmetic treatments to keep her skin flawless. She's not your everyday, average woman. I agree that the make up she wore in the pic was way too heavy for her.

Don't take my tongue in cheek posts as arguing your preferences though, I'm just exposing the other side of the coin and how some men use more or less same argument to impose an even harder to reach standard of beauty to women. Like I said to Case, I'm merely comparing experiences and not pointing my finger at you :D

Ymir said:
sk66rc said:

The only critic I have here is that she probably spends tons of money in cosmetic treatments to keep her skin flawless. She's not your everyday, average woman. I agree that the make up she wore in the pic was way too heavy for her.

Don't take my tongue in cheek posts as arguing your preferences though, I'm just exposing the other side of the coin and how some men use more or less same argument to impose an even harder to reach standard of beauty to women. Like I said to Case, I'm merely comparing experiences and not pointing my finger at you :D

I didn't think you were arguing with me... Everyone has preferences to a certain extent, I guess... I just saw this one girl with ton of make up on her face & though her personality was nice & her skin with no make up was very nice, I just didn't understand why she wanted to wear so much make up... But then again, in itself was her decision & what ever floats her boat... I wasn't trying to judge, just felt as though it was odd...

She wanted to wear so much because she wanted to. It's as simple as that. Many people do wear makeup heavily, but honestly, it's subjective. You can sit and question why people do the things they do, but it's mostly because they just want to. I wouldn't read so much into it.

Latest posts

Back