Hi folks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alma lost her spoon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here, thought I'd introduce myself a little....

I'm 43, I live in Central Scotland with my Boy Flay(my dog).

I teach taijiquan, & for fun I currently lift a little weights(just learning I'm no Arnie), enjoy messing around with clothing cutting/ripping/dying/bleaching/shibori etc & I'm making a return to roller derby after a little break.

My life isn't where I'd like it to be right now, by any means-I guess that's how I found my way to these boards.....

Anyways, hello to y'all here.

Welcome to the site

Welcome to ALL, Alma.

In case you haven't found your spoon, here's another :)

A196_espresso_spoon.jpg

Ahh, Callie thankyou for that, much appreciated, however, the spoon I have lost is, sadly, irreplaceable I fear. I live in eternal hope that someday my missing spoon will rejoin me, until thatday I shall remain forever spoonless.

Hello Alma, welcome! I sense there must be a story behind that name...

Alma lost her spoon said:
Ahh, Callie thankyou for that, much appreciated, however, the spoon I have lost is, sadly, irreplaceable I fear. I live in eternal hope that someday my missing spoon will rejoin me, until thatday I shall remain forever spoonless.

What about sporks? Would a spork be acceptable? I just hate to see people spoonless. :(

206795_10339_M.jpg

taijiquan. I had to look that one up. It's Tai Chi. Would you say that it's part of your lifestyle, or something you just teach to others?

Shibori is an ancient Japanese dyeing technique: http://honestlywtf.com/diy/shibori-diy/ It looks like a more purposefully tie dyeing project technique. Interesting!

What breed is your dog?

Thanks for the welcomes you guys :cool:

SophiaGrace~yes Tai Chi Chuan(I tend to use pinyin spelling) & I'd definately say it's a part of my life. I started learning 14 years ago to help me deal with severe depression after my father died. I got on so well the school made me an instructor.
I love what I do, it doesn't seem like work at all.

Callie thanks but a spork just isn't gonna do the job either-you did make me giggle though :)

Peaches-yes, yes there is a bit of a story, the man I love(& can't be with) was the best ever spoon in the entire cutlery drawer, I miss so much about him, I particularly miss the spoons.

SophiaGrace~this is The Boy Flay, he's a Lurcher.

A Lurcher eh? I can see the deerhound in him. From the article, it said that Lurchers are mixed breeds. They aren't recognized by the American Kennel Club here in America yet. Do you think they ever will be? Also, your dog looks like a very active dog, is he?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurcher

Thanks for the welcomes you guys :cool:

SophiaGrace~yes Tai Chi Chuan(I tend to use pinyin spelling) & I'd definately say it's a part of my life. I started learning 14 years ago to help me deal with severe depression after my father died. I got on so well the school made me an instructor.
I love what I do, it doesn't seem like work at all.

First of all, you're welcome :)

Second, did you learn from someone from china or from another scottish person?

Also, did it indeed help with your depression?

Do you teach at a school or at a studio?

SophiaGrace~Flay is the most Handsomest dog in all the land(I'm not even slightly biased one bit of course lol).

He's 9 years old but still very active indeed, he loves to chase a ball on the beach & have a swim in the sea of a morning-that pic was taken a couple of weeks ago after a nice swim, which is why he's a bit wet looking in it.

We were actually having a go at recreating a photo I took when he was about 2 years old-I have attached it so you can see how he's changed over the years, he is slowing down a little these days & I have to take care not to have him overdo it as his hips can get a little stiff the next day.

Lurchers are a type of dog rather than a breed of dog, yes absolutely. The idea is to take a fast dog, usually a sighthound such as a Deerhound, Saluki or Greyhound(Flay's 'biological' mum haha was a Greyhound-I think you probably see Deerhound in him because I shot the pic from so low down) & breed with a more biddable natured, more energetic dog such as a Collie or a Lab,these days people often mix Staffordshire Terrier or other similar robust type of dogs into the mix also(Flay's dad was a Collie-he's quite a typical cross).
This gives a fast, intelligent dog that can run all day & wishes to please his master-a perfect beast for hunting which was the original use for the Lurcher-bred by Gypsies initially.

Lurchers have never been recognised as a breed of dog by the kennel club & probably will never be, which is just fine as it means they don't tend to suffer from the health issues seen in many pedigree bred dogs.
A cross bred dog is more often a healthier dog as the gene pool is wider, it saddens me to see what has often been done within dog breeding circles(& condoned/promoted by the kennel clubs worldwide) where the animals asthetics have become more important to breeders than the original purpose & health of the dog.

I'll climb back down off my soap box again-sorry lol

I have had pure bred dogs in the past & I probably will again at some point(I'm particularly fond of Staffi's & English Bull Terriers-both of which I have had before).

Of course it's also true to say that Lurchers can be unhealthy, or have health issues, indeed Flay has a condition similar to human colitis which means he has to have special pre-enzyme digested food, which costs a fortune but it works a treat so it's all good.

& I got so carried away talking about Flay(as I do) that I didn't answer your other questions-sorry....

Taiji has definately made a difference in my life, I spent the biggest part of my 20s either hiding under a duvet, or getting smashed on whatever substances came to hand. For an amount of time I couldn't hold down a job. I'll never allow myself to go back there & I'm determined that the loss I have suffered this time around is something that I'm far better equipped to deal with & although I struggle at times I am stronger & wiser than I was back then & I will not lose out on my 40s as I did in my 20s.

The instructors I have learned from have worked directly with the family that this particular style of Taiji comes from. I myself have not, however, I am happy that what I study & am passing on is authentic without having passed through many hands on it's way to me & I know how important it is to my instructors(& myself) that we do not alter what we are passing along.

I teach in many places in the area, I teach in my local Maggie's Centre, in Leisure Centres & even some retirement homes-I get to meet & work with some lovely people.

Attachments

• harborwall7a.jpg
    harborwall7a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 127

Latest posts

Back