Ever get that feeling?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATimeBeing

Reaction score
Do you ever get that feeling of just wanting to roam? I don't mean like somewhere exotic but just like your local area or city?
What's even worse is when you get that 'wanderlust' feeling but you can't do anything about it!

Yeah, pretty often. I'm never in a situation where i feel i can't do anything about it though.

I used to quite a bit. Whenever I drove down the highway and saw an interesting valley or hill, I would always wonder what was on the other side of it: Ancient Native American ruins? A gas station that had been abandoned 50 years earlier, on a lonely dirt road? An angry rancher telling me to get the hell off of his property?

I found all of that stuff and more when wandering. Even finding a secluded park that very few people in the city knew about was fun. I don't have the same passion and excitement for exploration anymore. It's still fun sometimes though.

I get it all the time, but it's never really a problem - there is always somewhere new to discover. I've found deserted mine shafts, a cave system, an old deserted and derelict mill in the middle of a forest and various other things.

Locke said:
I used to quite a bit.
I don't have the same passion and excitement for exploration anymore. It's still fun sometimes though.

^ Likewise.

Yes, today I had to go up to the store, and I always pass a lake that's adjacent to an apartment complex, and today I stopped and parked, got out of the car, and moved my way down, stared at the water for a while. If I didn't hate driving so much, I'd do it more often, and somewhere more remote!

Thankfully the area I live in is pretty nice so there's room to roam. I live out in the suburbs but I'd love the city, there's so many interesting places tucked away.

I like to roam, I take walks or bike rides almost daily. There isn't really anyplace to go though, no places to go off the beaten path. Just suburban sprawl for miles in every direction. It would be nice if there were some more open spaces around here. Even though it's a suburb and not a city, everything is so tightly packed together. I feel like there's no space where I can just get away from people for a while and be alone with my thoughts.

Fellow wanderers, where do you like to wander to? Do you just walk, or do you listen to music, or take a pencil and paper with you and write down ideas or observations? Do you take pictures? Just wondering what else people do when they go exploring.

TheSkaFish said:
I like to roam, I take walks or bike rides almost daily.  There isn't really anyplace to go though, no places to go off the beaten path.  Just suburban sprawl for miles in every direction.  It would be nice if there were some more open spaces around here.  Even though it's a suburb and not a city, everything is so tightly packed together.  I feel like there's no space where I can just get away from people for a while and be alone with my thoughts.

Fellow wanderers, where do you like to wander to?  Do you just walk, or do you listen to music, or take a pencil and paper with you and write down ideas or observations?  Do you take pictures?  Just wondering what else people do when they go exploring.

The subway to my workplace ends at the airport. So often I just want to continue on, buy a ticket, and go someplace, anyplace. Ska, why don't you wanderlust in a plane? 

When I don't want to spend money I use my train pass to go into the city and check out other train lines. I might take photos but I mostly just watch and look.

LonelySutton said:
The subway to my workplace ends at the airport. So often I just want to continue on, buy a ticket, and go someplace, anyplace. Ska, why don't you wanderlust in a plane? 

When I don't want to spend money I use my train pass to go into the city and check out other train lines. I might take photos but I mostly just watch and look.
Actually, it hadn't occurred to me to think of that.  I guess I haven't done it yet because of money, mostly.  I do want to visit Seattle sometime, I have some friends there.  Someday I'll do it.

Most of the time, I think I don't travel because my problems would be the same somewhere else as they would be here.  I would still be short on inspiration, still not know who and what I want out of life.  But then again, maybe it would mix things up a bit.

There will never be a good enough time, Ska. If you wait to become who you want to be to do the things you want to do, it will be eons before you can do anything. But if you do the things that scare you and interest you without waiting for yourself to change first so you can take that step, you'll find that you're actually closer to being the person you want to be.

Aisha said:
There will never be a good enough time, Ska. If you wait to become who you want to be to do the things you want to do, it will be eons before you can do anything. But if you do the things that scare you and interest you without waiting for yourself to change first so you can take that step, you'll find that you're actually closer to being the person you want to be.

I was just thinking about this lately.  I spent all of my 20s waiting for a bolt of inspiration, for a time I felt "good enough" to start pursuing what I wanted, and every day I felt the same.  I was scared to push through the initial hard times, the uncertainty, the times when we want to do something, but aren't quite skilled or experienced enough to do it yet and it feels like we might be crazy for wanting it.  I was scared my initial failures would be permanent.    

You're right of course, Aisha.  I'm becoming more conscious of this and I need to try to remember it, the next time I feel stuck.

Latest posts

Back