I read an article that's changed my life....

• Thread starter WildernessWildChild
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

WildernessWildChild

I'll start with this, as of this morning I weigh 200 pounds, about 43 less than I did four months ago. I'm not bringing this up to gain attention, it's simply happened, it's changed my life, and I feel amazing. The link to the article I read is at the bottom of this post. Go straight there if you're not bothered to read my thoughts, I'm not bothered one way or the other- here's my testimonial anyway.

My approach was simple- the only goal I set was to get healthier. I had no idea I'd drop to 200 pounds. Guess I was carrying more fat than I realized....I never did any kind of body-fat test as what I was didn't matter, I was saying goodbye to it anyway. I approached it with a relaxed determination (there's an oxymoron for you) to improve my health. I wasn't fanatical or religious about it- no counting calories, no weighing/measuring food intake, no stressing out about missing workouts, just a goal to be a better me.

My workout- Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple, doesn't require a lot of equipment, and gives results. I'll admit that I had to swallow my pride, it was kind of humiliating to train so lightly at first. But it gets heavier before long. It works. I did add a lot of ab work....it's paying off too. I went 3-4 days between workouts a couple of times (a guy needs some vacation time), didn't see anything worth getting worked up a bit.

As far as cardio, I didn't do a lot of hardcore stuff. Lots of hiking, climbing, swimming in the lake, fast-walking, and a lot of sex. I'm not bragging about it, I simply had lots of great sex- I dated a nympho for awhile (she lost 15 pounds in two months :D) so it works for both genders. I'd sure like to replace that soon. Here's an article about sex and calories (not that I counted them), kinda cool how some good fun in the sack can be beneficial. I tried all of it- ******* (no pun intended) amazing! http://www.womansday.com/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923

I kept diet really simple- lots of fruit, veg, meat, eggs, milk, and a whey protein powder for after my workouts. I ate when I wanted and as much as I wanted. All my shopping was the perimeter of the store, it was fresh, and I prepped it myself as I prefer flavour over bland. I didn't count calories but I was conscious of carbs/protein balance. I've had maybe a half-dozen beer since May as well, I simply can't be bothered with it anymore.

Sleeps always been my challenge- I think initially I slept almost eight hours a day as I was easily tired. I'm back to about six hours now....and working shift work further screws me up. I might get an 8-10 hour sleep once a week- or not.

So, now that I'm back to 200 pounds there's a few other things that happened- I'm back to a size 32 jean (was a 38). I'm in large t-shirts now that fit really good, the extra-larges are kinda baggy now. I've got no aches or pains anymore. Always energetic now, strength is vastly improved, endurance is vastly improved.

I'm not quite ready to throw up pictures, maybe one day.

Here's the article that caught my attention. Read it and take it for what it's worth. It's not scientific but it makes sense and it worked for me. Continues to work for me.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/01/18/how-to-increase-testosterone-naturally/

There it is for ya....

It's great to hear that!

It's especially great to hear that your goal is to be healthier as opposed to achieve a certain look. We have just one life, and wasting months or years of it using questionable and uncomfortable methods to achieve nearly impossible goals is not the way to go.

Tealeaf said:
Is this recommended for the ladies? :p

Even though the article that started this was about a guys quest to improve his testosterone levels the common sense of his approach makes sense to either gender. I'm sure nutritionists and vegetarians would take exception to some of what the author wrote about. All I know is that the results are speaking for themselves and I feel great.

Ymir said:
It's great to hear that!

It's especially great to hear that your goal is to be healthier as opposed to achieve a certain look. We have just one life, and wasting months or years of it using questionable and uncomfortable methods to achieve nearly impossible goals is not the way to go.

Agreed- keeping it simple and efficient applies to many things in life. I've had enough experience complicating things, I'm much happier with a relaxed approach to everything- maybe I've finally found my "Zen".

Latest posts

Back