What is an Interesting Person?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSkaFish

Jedi Guardian
Reaction score
The "What is a Boring Person?" thread gave me the idea to start this thread instead, which asks a couple questions on what it means to be interesting. We know what we don't enjoy, but that only helps so much. I find it far more helpful to ask, what DO we want, in others and ourselves? I thought this might be an idea because maybe some of us feel that we are boring but don't know exactly why, or feel kind of lost as to what we can do about it. So I thought I'd start this thread in the hopes we can kind of figure things out and hopefully take some steps to solve it.

Anyway, the questions:

What is an interesting person?

How does one become an interesting person?

Do any of you think you are interesting and if so, why?

If you feel, or have felt in the past that you were boring, did you or do you try to become interesting? What did you do?

What does "interesting" mean to you, as it pertains to members of the opposite sex? What's an interesting woman? What's an interesting man? I'm trying to just focus on personality aspects with this - I realize looks may help but for the sake of the question I'll treat physical appearance as a separate attribute.

To me, interesting means someone who is being themselves, someone who has their own identity, knows who they are, what they want. An interesting person is also someone who gets along well with me like no other person has. This is rare.. but.. yeah that's what I can think of for now.

To me, interesting is any person that is breathing. Each person has their own story. Whether you think they are following some fad and just trying to fit in or if they are homeless or if they are a serial killer, every person is, in some way, interesting.

You just have to look past the outside, beyond what you want to see to find the truth of the person of who they are and how they came to be who they are today.

Someone will be interesting to me if they: 1) know how to debate 2) can offer me something new 3) know a lot about something, anything. I looooove people who can offer me intellectual stimulation without being pretentious or misanthropic. I also love learning new things, even if they are useless.

I think those are high standards for a teenage girl who's not very social BUT people can be interesting in other ways also, so I agree with TheRealCallie.

TheRealCallie said:
To me, interesting is any person that is breathing. Each person has their own story. Whether you think they are following some fad and just trying to fit in or if they are homeless or if they are a serial killer, every person is, in some way, interesting.

You just have to look past the outside, beyond what you want to see to find the truth of the person of who they are and how they came to be who they are today.

Love this:cool:

Also, if they club you, you may find them interesting in some way :club:

I think "being interesting" is defined well as someone who is able to keep my interest in them. Like, I don't particularly want a Lindsay Lohan in my life, but her antics kept me interested for a while there as I mocked her life/stardom from behind my computer screen. So is she interesting? Technically yes.

But in the real world, I think what people find interesting is too subjective to generalize. I hope people read these posts for what they are and not bash people's preferences since it's so subjective.

An online acquaintance of mine is in a relationship with a guy who spends most of his day on FB playing Farmville, then the rest of his day watching television and complaining about his dull life and how she'll leave him eventually for a better guy....but she loves him and I suppose finds him interesting, but this baffles someone like me.

Since I don't really enjoy the company of women, I'll use an example of what I find interesting in a man. A man who keeps my interest is also interested in me and shows it. He needs to be emotionally mature and capable of communication - even when confronted (i.e. not run away like a little boy afraid to show his emotions). He should have hobbies that he really enjoys and be passionate about them. My bf loves archery and loves to whittle his arrowheads. He collects whiskey too, which I found so interesting that I began to join him and became passionate about it myself. Health and fitness is a personal passion to me so someone who I find interesting also enjoys exercise and eating well. Intelligence is interesting...ignorant hick type of men are not interesting to me. He doesn't have to be a rocket scientist, but the ability to have a conversation, using the "Queen's English" (in my case because I'm English) is important. Popular cultural phrases like "meh" bore me to death. Text language bores me as well, an interesting man can write well. I like a guy who looks interesting too. My bf dresses like a man from the 40's era, when I met him, I thought it was very interesting. His taste in movies is also from the 30's - 50's era - you don't find that much in people these days, ones who appreciate more than just Arnold and Stallone movies. Another interesting thing is a man who likes to do things other than bars and arena sporting events. Going golfing, fishing, hiking...reminds me, I believe our third date, he brought me to the local airport to watch the jets fly in. He knew a spot where they flew right over us - that was interesting.

I mean, seriously I could go on. I hope this helps SkaFish.

ladyforsaken said:
To me, interesting means someone who is being themselves, someone who has their own identity, knows who they are, what they want. An interesting person is also someone who gets along well with me like no other person has. This is rare.. but.. yeah that's what I can think of for now.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

ladyforsaken said:

I agree with this as well.
I would like to add that, for me, an interesting person is also someone who is interested in me as well as in themselves, who doesn't talk about themselves all the time to the extent that I am always just a sounding board.

To me.... it's that quiet/introverted girl over in the corner not really talking to anyone else. That cute geeky/nerdy girl that is a legitimate gamer and watches anime and that I could actually have a nerdy conversation with be it some obscure game references or something science related. Quirky. A bit weird. She's intelligent and knows who she is and doesn't care what others think. She's not a "girly" girl.

Now couple that with also not wanting kids.....what I am looking for feels like it is unicorn status rare.

I always believed it was having lots of hobbies and interests. I realised this year I had virtually none so I picked up a few.

The person who goes out the door, experiences life, and can share what they've done in a way that takes you there and has you wishing you were there to see it.

It doesn't always have to be earth-shaking moments, sometimes the quieter ones are pretty unique as well.

To me, an interesting person is someone who has a lot of things to talk about and stories to tell. They also are the kind of person that entertains themselves with their own thoughts. I've been looking for common traits between some people I've known from my generation that I would consider interesting, and so far what I've found is that all are intellectual, well-read, and have several different hobbies or areas of interest in their life. This is probably what gives them so much to talk about.

Interesting is such an subjective term though so it's difficult to define an interesting person. For example, I know I probably wouldn't be interesting to someone who is obsessed with celebrities, reality TV and fashion but I might be interesting to someone who likes conversations about history, the more obscure side of music and foreign films. Having interests is part of the key I suppose but most interesting people have quirks in their personalities too or a different way of thinking about things.

Skid Row 89 said:
Interesting is such an subjective term though so it's difficult to define an interesting person. For example, I know I probably wouldn't be interesting to someone who is obsessed with celebrities, reality TV and fashion but I might be interesting to someone who likes conversations about history, the more obscure side of music and foreign films. Having interests is part of the key I suppose but most interesting people have quirks in their personalities too or a different way of thinking about things.

I totally agree I was going to say something similar, who is interesting depends on who you are.

Have the same question, wanted to make a thread and found this one.

I thought about the topic because when I'm asked "have you seen" my usual answer is "no". No Alien, no Predator, no Futurama, no Starwars and so on. I was called "uneducated" for not watching Intestellar)) But I've heared the naked and seen the pictures though.

I wonder if I could become interesting without watching all this.
I feel like I'm boring and I just don't hang on with people)) I'm not sure how to change it.

What is an interesting person for me?.. I dunno, someone with the stories. Someone who can tell me smth new. But I guess all people have the stories, than not interesting are those who don't want to share their stories with me.
Hmm, it looks like in my own opinion I'm either the only without a story or the one who don't want to share.

The thread is 7y.o, TheSkaFish, have you found the answers?

personally I find someone who can find humor in anything interesting, someone who i find funny and cool to be around with. Not judging others/talking behind peoples back or scheming things. A good conversationalist. One who knows how to listen but also has something to contribute in a conversation.

The "What is a Boring Person?" thread gave me the idea to start this thread instead, which asks a couple questions on what it means to be interesting. We know what we don't enjoy, but that only helps so much. I find it far more helpful to ask, what DO we want, in others and ourselves? I thought this might be an idea because maybe some of us feel that we are boring but don't know exactly why, or feel kind of lost as to what we can do about it. So I thought I'd start this thread in the hopes we can kind of figure things out and hopefully take some steps to solve it.

Anyway, the questions:

What is an interesting person?

How does one become an interesting person?

Do any of you think you are interesting and if so, why?

If you feel, or have felt in the past that you were boring, did you or do you try to become interesting? What did you do?

What does "interesting" mean to you, as it pertains to members of the opposite sex? What's an interesting woman? What's an interesting man? I'm trying to just focus on personality aspects with this - I realize looks may help but for the sake of the question I'll treat physical appearance as a separate attribute.
Someone who is not trying to be interesting, or anything else for that matter. Someone completely void of pretense. Fully content to be exactly what they are.

Latest posts

Back