Friend or Foe?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryingcloud

Reaction score
So, a few months ago (around the end of March) I made the decision to move in with my friend's family. Before, I was living with my grandparents in a different state. It was the state where I attended my first college, but didn't continue there after the first semester. My mom also lives there (with my grandparents) It was the four of us...but hell for me. I was 19 and stuck in house with over bearing (but very loving) parents..and yes, I mean all 3. The thing was, my grandparents treated me as if I was 12. I had no social life, or stimulation, all I saw everyday was the four walls that surrounded me. Needless to say, it wasn't ideal for me, and I was VERY unhappy, I was crying every night, I felt really alone. All my "friends" from the college I went to there, deserted me. The only friend I had was the one back in my hometown, 500 miles away. We skyped every now and again, but it wasn't enough. I wanted to go out, be around people my age and have a good time, be more independent. Then, I got the invite to come live with her, and I took it. I lived with her and her family for 5 months. Some things got better, others got worse. We ended up arguing all the time. It basically tore us apart. We've been best friends since we were 14. (when we met) A few weeks ago, she told me to leave, so I did. I got my own room to rent, and its been going okay, I commute to a school and have a job, and I'm still in the process of trying to volunteer. In the back of my head, this fight bothered me, not that I was "sad" but more afraid. When you spend a significant amount of your life with someone, it's scary to picture yourself without them, especially after being inseparable. (we were nick-named the Dynamic-Duo) Though I felt bad about how things went down, I couldn't help but feel..."free". Free in a way that this whole time we've been friends, she has been...the "dominant" one I guess you could say. It kind of felt like I broke through the chains. She always had some hold on me and LOVED being in control. EX: She had a thing about being the driver, if we were going somewhere together, we either had to take her car, or if I wanted to take mine, she HAD to drive...even though it's my car. She's pretty selfish when it comes to considering others' feelings. She would often invite other people to events we planned for the two of us without telling me, leaving me pretty uncomfortable. Mostly because she acts different towards me when around others' as if I become less important to her. It becomes pretty obvious the way she doesn't bother to talk to me, or if she does, it's brief or something (for lack of better words) bitchy. She also tries to control how much I drink (if alcohol is involved) as if she had some authority over me. She's very defensive, so it's impossible to talk to her about these issues. (Many times, I've tried.) So this whole moving out on my own thing, has been one big head-ache and I ended up crying a few times under the pressure, but all in all, the feeling of breaking free has been euphoric. A couple days ago, she ended up texting me, after not talking to each other for about 2 weeks. She said, "I miss you" and we ended up hanging out the next day like nothing ever happened...but the thing is, something DID happen, and I don't know how to ignore it. Our last fight was baaaaaad and she said really mean things to me that basically involved a lot of cussing and name calling. She even had the audacity to call me a bad friend. I know that I'm not, but she didn't take it back in her text message. After I hung out with her the other day, driving back to my place I felt like I let myself down. I don't know if it was because I'm going against fate, or what...but I wasn't happy with myself. I'm just really confused right now.

I don't know if I have anything specific to offer other than when I've ended relationships, it went much better for myself when I ended all contact.Being in a relationship purgatory just never worked for me.
I remember many, many transitions in my early 20s! Lots of moves, job changes, starting and stopping school, relationships - but that is how we find out how to get on in the world, I suppose.

-Teresa

It's funny, (and by funny I mean...not really funny) that a post of mine from months ago has been getting more attention, but this one hasn't...hmm....

cryingcloud said:
It's funny, (and by funny I mean...not really funny) that a post of mine from months ago has been getting more attention, but this one hasn't...hmm....

Break it up into paragraphs and more people will want to read it.

Hmm. I just read your other post and you got several comments on the paragraph thing. Guess I'm not alone.

As to your message above, I'm not sure what you want. Do you want this person to be your friend again?

Hi cryingcloud, I think I kinda know what you mean when you say you're feeling confused. It's probably because you know she's not treating you right, but you still gave in and hung out with her despite still feeling the hurt from the previous bad argument, and the fact that you guys didn't talk about it to clear the air or something like that.

So what now? I know that if this was me in your position, I'd want to talk to this friend to clear things up and let her know how I feel, and also, to hear out how she feels and see how the friendship can continue from a common ground.

Yes, paragraphs seem to be a big deal indeed. I'll have to work on that.

Case said:
cryingcloud said:

Break it up into paragraphs and more people will want to read it.

Hmm. I just read your other post and you got several comments on the paragraph thing. Guess I'm not alone.

As to your message above, I'm not sure what you want. Do you want this person to be your friend again?

Latest posts

Back