How Far Do You Believe Greed Takes People? Money>Family?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Recently, I found out the extent of my grandmother's greed, when I found out she wouldn't rent out her house to us.

Let me explain:

She found a man, who of course, has a little bit of cash. The other day, she was making him look at houses to buy. My grandma asked my mother if she would like to buy her house (the one we are currently residing in). My mom told her, "No, I don't have enough money to do so, just rent it out to me."

Well...apparently, that isn't good enough. My grandma said 'no renting'. Only selling. I believe she wants the money now, and it seems she doesn't care if that leaves us out on the street.

She's done it before. When my older sister was a baby, my mom couldn't even afford a hotel, and my grandma wouldn't help her pay for it.

When I was baby, we had a house fire, and my grandma wouldn't allow us to stay at her house. You know why? Because of my dad. Like, really? Your daughter just had a baby, and then a house fire occurred, and you won't let us stay with you for the time being? My dad wasn't that bad. I bet she feels real stupid now, now that my dad has a job, and is cleaning himself up.

What do you guys believe? How far will her greed take her? Does it seem she values money over family?

You never know a person's true reasons for not helping out. It's possible there is a lack of trust because of some incident of which you aren't aware. That's one perspective.

Another one is that one should be able to count on family in times of need. I never experienced that so I never asked again and took care of myself since I was 17. I decided not to rely on anyone for financial help.

A friend of mine has a terribly greedy mother though. She was born into wealth, and yes...it's HER wealth and she doesn't need to share it with anyone...but when my friend's grandmother died, my friend's greedy mother decided to sell all of her possessions instead of allowing the children to have keepsakes of their grandma. My friend wanted to buy the grandma's cottage in a few years and pleaded with the mother to just wait, my friend even offered to pay the upkeep until she had the downpayment saved...nope, greedy mommy wanted even more money and sold it to the first buyer who made an offer. My friend was devastated because she really wanted to keep the cottage in the family.

Some people value money over everything, you can't change them, so it's not even worth trying.

Well...from my family experience it always isn't so much over greed as resentment. My grandfather did not like the guy one of my aunts married, it drove a massive wedge in the their relationship, in fact they never came to peace over it until after my aunts husband had passed away and my grandfather has become ill. It was then my aunt with my mom's help went to see their dad to bury the hatchet. He admitted to her that even though he did not like the man she was married to at least she was happy and he treated her well. But something as little as that can cause long term problems. My mom never had a very good relationship with my grandmother but suffered through it for us so we got to know our grandmother. My grandfather got remarried to a woman who wouldn't let him help my mom out when she needed a little extra cash to buy a home. It wasn't greed it was just...I dunno...resentment. My mom and grandfathers second wife never got along very well. So there could be a lot more going on than what you might know.

As well, even if you can trust the person getting financially involved with family is never a good idea. You're grandmother may feel that way. It is unfortunate.

I have nothing but contempt for the older, greedy people who only think of living endlessly on our backs.

Your grandma needs to hurry up, pass on, and leave the world to the children.

Latest posts

Back