Anyone have an office at work?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I used to always think I would have totally made it if I had an office... but sometimes.. I hate it.

Today I was thinking how often I seem to get in trouble at work due to that office. Recently I noticed that everyone seems to sort of trap me in my office. I don't go to other people's offices and sit down, but they seem to come to mine, sit down and talk about what is bothering them. This of course, kind of leaves me trapped. Typically in bad mojo. Having conversations I kind don't want to have, saying things I kind of don't want to say -- like -- can you believe that person got the job over you?

I even have my doors closed and shades drawn and still -- even when I am on the phone, they come on in.

Sometimes I wonder if they are even necessary anymore in a day an age where 90% of my conversations are done via e-mail or IM.

I know the feeling. The guys in the shop like to come into mine and b.s. and it never seems to fail, when this is going on, that the boss walks by my office to get to the shop floor. So, it does appear that I'm not working as much as I should, but I think he knows better. They usually scatter when he walks by.

And yes, I do get tired of hearing the shop gossip and how much one person dislikes the other or why they hate working side by side with a co-worker and any other petty instances that come up at the spur of the moment.

At least I have the shop cat to keep me company in my office. She's constantly jumping onto my desk or rubbing herself on my legs while I'm on the computer. She's the only good thing about having my own office.

I traded up my office for a workshop about 5 years ago now and never looked back. But that was more to do with a dislike of paperwork than anything else.

Could you tell them that, while you would love to talk, you are too busy and will catch up with them at teabreak/lunch break?
Or could you simply get rid of any other chairs in your office other than the one you use yourself so that there is nowhere for people to sit down? They may not hang around so much if they have to stand.

LonelySutton said:
I used to always think I would have totally made it if I had an office... but sometimes.. I hate it.

Today I was thinking how often I seem to get in trouble at work due to that office. Recently I noticed that everyone seems to sort of trap me in my office. I don't go to other people's offices and sit down, but they seem to come to mine, sit down and talk about what is bothering them. This of course, kind of leaves me trapped. Typically in bad mojo. Having conversations I kind don't want to have, saying things I kind of don't want to say -- like -- can you believe that person got the job over you?

I even have my doors closed and shades drawn and still -- even when I am on the phone, they come on in.

Sometimes I wonder if they are even necessary anymore in a day an age where 90% of my conversations are done via e-mail or IM.

So, it sounds like your dream of having an office doesn't match up to your current reality.

What would an ideal office environment be for you?

SophiaGrace said:
What would an ideal office environment be for you?

No human beings, a dog, and a printer that worked without new toner or paper every 2 point 2 seconds. :)

You can close your office door?! Where I work we have an open door policy!

Limlim said:
I traded up my office for a workshop about 5 years ago now and never looked back. But that was more to do with a dislike of paperwork than anything else.

I wish I could do that.
Come do my paperwork, Lim. (D)

No! Paperwork is super gay. But not gay in the good way, where you're like "this is my cool gay friend" sort of way. But like.... Prison gay.

Limlim said:
No! Paperwork is super gay. But not gay in the good way, where you're like "this is my cool gay friend" sort of way. But like.... Prison gay.

Is this quote mocking my post on the thread about sticking you foot on your mouth? if so.. do back off, I'm new and not up for drama.

But if not, my apologies i guess its just just mere co-incidence that you mention gay gay gay and gay again in random ways to a post that has nothing to do with gay.

I've sort of regressed to an eighth grade mentality. Also I'm not sure I read a foot in mouth thread... Unless I replied to it. In which case I did.

How did a thread about my office go gay? Anyhoo...

Wierdly, it just to be that we were supposed to have the door open but now, we are supposed to have it shut, ok? In fact a few weeks ago I left my door open and the auditor came over to me and told me that if I leave my desk, I am supposed to lock my computer OR shut my door. Um... huh? I was like ... but, it is my office, it isn't out in the open?

Whatever.

Funny yesterday I locked my door, and, shut the shades to change clothing and someone knocked and I yelled one minute and they still tried to come in. Thank god the lock was on. DUH!!

It's even better when people do that with the bathroom door. I don't understand why they think its okay.

I do have a room where I have a workbench, a tall roll-away full of tools and lockers full of parts. It does become my sanctuary of sorts whenever i'm not working on anything.

Latest posts

Back