Female attraction to beards and tattoos

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarcasticJuan

Reaction score
This is something I've been noticing recently, on dating site girls always talk about liking men with beards and tattoos. I don't want tattoos because I find them unattractive on both genders, not that I'd know what to have, and I don't really like the feel of a beard, it's not a good look for me either (in my opinion). I generally don't look for a specific type of woman, love comes in more ways than just physical attraction.

There is nothing wrong with expressing yourself and having your own look, that's your right, but I find this specific attraction to one type of guy is quite selfish and immature, it's like a girl saying 'U MUST LOOK LIKE EDWARD FROM TWILIGHT!!!1'.

So what's with this sudden obsession/desire? Is there some hot celeb trendsetter who started this? Is it some sort of political thing because they think they're more liberal and less uptight? Are any women here into traditionally attractive guys (clean cut or neat looking) or do you like things a bit untraditional, please explain why.

You may be pleased to hear that beards seem to be on their way out.

Fashion runs in cycles. For the past few years, it's been somewhat fashionable to have a beard and be fairly scruffy (to an extent)... but now it seems that the clean-cut look may become trendy again.

*shrug*

People must think its a cool look, I think if Justin Bieber can be covered in tats how cool can they actually be?

Just wait till his hormones kick in hes gonna grow a hipster beard first chance he gets.

"love comes in more ways than just physical attraction. "

I love this line. I don't have a physical type. The people that I have been in love with are very much completely different when it comes to looks.

But I also won't change my looks to match a group, nor will I pay much attention to what a group of people are attracted to. Be who you want to be, and love who you are because of it. That's what makes people wonderful, IMO.

I've always thought of it as an extension of the whole "women like bad boys" cliche. Western culture publicly condemns but privately fetishizes criminals and jerks of every stripe. Biker thugs, "gangstas", drug dealers, you name it. You don't actually have to be a good person, you just need an "outlaw" image and persona. Women see something romantic in these guys. All I see is a dirtbag.

I think it's a bunch of bullshit, but that's the way it is.

JustSomeGal said:
But I also won't change my looks to match a group, nor will I pay much attention to what a group of people are attracted to. Be who you want to be, and love who you are because of it. That's what makes people wonderful, IMO.

This !! Well said.

Seems like a pretty conceited attribute to readily disclose your 'turn ons' like that. As if emulating a playmate interview or some crap.

I wouldn't take them seriously.

I thought about growing a beard. Because I feel every dude at least once in their life should try that. But I could never commit any longer than two weeks into the process.

I feel tattoo's would exasperate my insecurities when people are observing and making character judgement on it. Seems they do plenty of that already.

I don't think either of them are a new trend. Maybe it's because of where I life, I don't know, but most of my friends have tattoos. I have 3 friends that are tattoo artists, so maybe that's why. lol
I have no problems with tattoos and if I wasn't a chickenshit, I would like have quite a few myself. As far as beards....I think it is always unattractive on women, but with the men, it just depends on the person.

Tattoos and beards do NOT make a person bad. I don't care who the hell says it does, but that's one of the biggest lies I've ever heard in my life. I'm not saying it makes them good either, so don't come back on me about that either. Stop judging people on your own insecurities and prejudices.

TheSkaFish said:
I've always thought of it as an extension of the whole "women like bad boys" cliche. Western culture publicly condemns but privately fetishizes criminals and jerks of every stripe. Biker thugs, "gangstas", drug dealers, you name it. You don't actually have to be a good person, you just need an "outlaw" image and persona. Women see something romantic in these guys. All I see is a dirtbag.

I think it's a bunch of bullshit, but that's the way it is.
The beard/tattoo/peircing thing is more of a metalcore music thing, not usually seen in badboys these days it's actually quite preppy and dapper to women now, my sister is totally into that scene. Badboys of today emulate rappers and the Jersy Shore crowd.

It's not a "metalcore" thing. It's someone saying, "I want this to be done," and they have it done. They are people who have beards, tattoos, and piercings that don't listen to metalcore. If you don't want them, that's fine. But people don't have to share your thoughts about them. Beards, tattoos, and piercings existed way before metal even existed.

SarcasticJuan said:
The beard/tattoo/peircing thing is more of a metalcore music thing, not usually seen in badboys these days it's actually quite preppy and dapper to women now, my sister is totally into that scene. Badboys of today emulate rappers and the Jersy Shore crowd.

I guess it's no surprise then that I dislike metalcore. I get the vibe that the metalcore people are bad boys as well, or at least they're bad boy-wannabes. All that screaming and "dark" imagery, they think they are so "hard" or something. Personally I despise almost anyone or anything that tries to be "tough" and "hard", I think they're a joke and I hold the people who eat that stuff up in equal contempt. I can't believe people still fall for that tired "rebel" act. It's just one of those things that's always seemed dumb to me.

Dunno, we could also discuss male attraction to curvy hourglass figure and we'd be here for months generalizing the other gender. Tbh I like beards because their scratch feels good and tattoos look interesting. I'll definitely be attracted to guy with both things but if he's not a good person, it won't go beyond that.

Everyone has preferences, just like you have yours. Like having a preference for girls without tattoos and who don't take selfies. So like...

TheSkaFish said:
I guess it's no surprise then that I dislike metalcore. I get the vibe that the metalcore people are bad boys as well, or at least they're bad boy-wannabes. All that screaming and "dark" imagery, they think they are so "hard" or something

I'm not a bad boy, I don't want to be a bad boy, and I don't think I'm hard.
wary.gif

Punisher said:
wary.gif

I'm sorry then. I have a beef with the whole but I guess there are exceptions to the rule and I suppose there are even metalcore fans or tattooed individuals I could be okay with.

Eh, this is a touchy subject for me. Makes me moody. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

^well, I could easily find a video of Hell's Angels or Bandidos or some picture of some tattooed guy doing hard drugs, for my side of things. It doesn't mean a whole lot to me to try and tell me that there are some good people who are into this. That is going to take time.

It's going to take a while for me to come down from "rabid dislike, comparable to racism" against these people, to being "okay" with them. Actual "liking" of them, that will be a while off yet. I think being "okay" is going to be the best I'll be able to manage for a long time.

I'm still very angry and hurt about my situation and am still want what I want, so let's not go for too much, too soon. Especially since this is on a thread relating to relationships.

And I could easily find untattoo'd people that are serial killers or child molesters. I'm not saying you have to like them, but you should NEVER judge a whole group of people just because you seem to think they are bad people. Tell me, do you actually KNOW, and I mean REALLY honestly know, people who have tattoos or do your judgments just stem what what you perceive them to be?

Yes, some people with tattoos that ride motorcycles are horrible people, but just as many people without tattoos and those who drive fancy cars are horrible people as well.

Well, the one I know OF, I judged on character. They fit the stereotype to a "T", so I don't think I'll be backing down from that, ever. That's something I don't want to forgive. If I think about that particular person, I hate them. The best I can do is forget they exist.

As a group though, you might be right. But all I'm saying is that my knee-jerk reaction is still strong dislike, and that my attitude isn't going to change overnight or with just one positive example. It's going to take time. That's what hating something is, it is unreasonable. But it also doesn't just go away like that. I'm saying maybe in time I can learn to be okay with tattooed people as a whole again, and judge them on an individual basis.

Punisher said:
wary.gif

You're so sweet you make my teeth rot. Come, come, give us kisses.

images

Also, I have piercings myself. Not body holes, just ear holes, but I have quite a bit of them. Somewhere along, I'd say, 18 or 20... but who's counting... I surely didn't. I'm not that evil.

Latest posts

Back