What kind of music do you like?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewLovesMusic

Reaction score
I would like to know. I like classic rock, grunge, and alt rock. GNR, led zeppelin, nirvana, audioslave, soundgarden, queen, blind melon, and lots of other like those.

I like EDM. My most fav. would have to be trance.

Armin van Buuren
Paul van Dyk
Markus Schulz
Above & Beyond
Bryan Kearney
..and more.

The less commercialized it is, the more I enjoy it. I think the worst kind of music is the kind that is played incessantly and uses the same harmony's and trends that every other 'artist' is doing.

Then again I guess that depends what you like/dont like. I can't seem to get enough of that three-chord wall of sound punk noise. There are quite a few bands that do a good version of that.

I'm also known to have in my collection various subgenres of metal music, industrial, electronic, country western, alt rock, rockabilly, psychobilly, rock n' roll music from the 50's/60's

Music is one of the more gratifying elements in my life. few things are as exciting as finding something i never heard of and adding those tunes to my collection. I would have loved to run a record shop.

It shifts, sort of. I'm the kind of person that listens to one to three songs constantly for a couple of days, get tired of them, move to the next, and repeat the process. I view my range of genres as wide, though.

Some artists are, but not limited to: Armin Van Buuren, Buckethead, Radical Distortion, Amethystium, Oliver Shanti, Era, Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders, Slayer, Hans Zimmer, Various Movie and Game soundtracks, Apocalyptica, Cantara, Dead Can Dance, Lisa Gerard in general, Loreena McKennit, Dark Sanctuary, Eminem, A couple of classical pieces, Prototype, Sigur Rós, And various virtuoso guitarists, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, etc.

A lot of peculiar stuff. Once I've found an artist or a band I like, I usually try to get my hands on all of their material. Then I have everything on repeat for one or two weeks. When I get sick of it, I switch to another one. Every few months I tend to switch genres too...it's a constant change between mellow and raw phases.

My favourites are, but are not limited to Stoner Rock/Metal, Noise Rock, Industrial, 90s Alternative, Grunge, Post Rock/Metal, Sludge Metal and Experimental stuff.
Occasionally I listen to old school hip hop, ambient, dub, 'elevator music', post-punk, 80s synth-pop or Hardcore punk.

I would say I despise most 'contemporary' music - practically everything on the radio.

In no praticular order, I often listen to much of the following

Punk
Ska
Reggae
HipHop
TripHop
Chicago House
Techno
Classical
Sweet Purdy Country Acid House(music all night long)
Rock n Roll
Rockabilly/Psychobilly
Metal
Industrial
Motown/Stax
Blues
Jazz
Glam Rock
Musicals

I just enjoy a lot of music-I'm not so fond of 'commercial pap' & don't tend to listen to commercial radio or watch much tv.

I like 90's alternative rock & grunge, oldies and 80's music, indie rock & indie pop, dream pop, shoegazing, post-rock, ambient, classical.

eh, kind of all over the place.
Tonight I listened to some songs from the Samurai Champloo soundtrack. I listened to a few songs from Janelle Monae's albums, immediately played Lamb's "Angelica" after the ending to Janelle Monae's "Say You'll Go", listened to some Emiliana Torrini...
Trying to get myself in gear to do a little work in the kitchen before bed, and I might run A Twist of Jobim while at it.

I listen to a range of sorts.
Slipknot is my favourite band. Nirvana is a **** close second.
The Amity Affliction. Gemini Syndrome. Five Finger Death Punch.
But I like some softer stuff like Stone Sour, Adelitas Way, Nothing More, We As Human, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Aranda, Crossfade, Shinedown.

The only type I have a real aversion to is rap, hip hop, techno....stuff.

Depends what I'm in the mood for. Honestly I haven't been listening to much music lately. I just haven't been in the mood or really had the time.

When I am though, I tend to like classic rock, psychedelic/spacey stuff, 90s alternative, punk, and ska of course.

Which is funny because I really don't like the idea of people doing things and acting in certain ways just to be shocking or rebellious. I really despise that. It seems like the same macho crap it's supposedly rebelling against. But I still like some of the music. I like it for different reasons.

I'd say the most constant band I've listened to lately would be the Smashing Pumpkins. Also, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Who, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Crimpshrine, Tame Impala.

Though there are a few exceptions, I tend to only like light-hearted, happy music that gives me energy. I don't really like dark stuff, with a few exceptions. Or there are some bands that could be considered dark that I like, but they don't seem that way to me.

I have such a habit of getting what ever I feel like getting with the internet nowadays, so its hard for me sometimes to understand why younger people sometimes only listen to Pink Floyd and ACDC and Aerosmith and The beatles. Maybe Van Halen. Theres just so much better stuff out there to me, or stuff i didnt know i loved. I just went through the earlier stuff from Papa Roach, who I hadn't listened to in some ten years, just because I ran across an old release of theirs after learning they were opening for Nuclear Rabbit years ago, a kind of Mr Bungle band that only released a few golden records together..

I vote for the guy above talking about Animals as Leaders and Satriani and petrucci. I'm generally a fan of technical melodic death metal, or ambient, progressive metal. I have old tastes with nu-metal and classic rock, and random elements like a one-off rap song or some good house trance.

Periphery, The Faceless, Necrophagist, Decapitated, Disperse, Blotted Science/Spastic Ink, Novelists, Arsis, Revocation, Kadinja, In Flames, Destiny Potato, David Maxim Micic, Vomitron, Suicide Silence, Chelsea Grin, Blinded Colony aka The Blinded, Born of Osiris, Nativ, SUBSTRUCTURE...

to Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Sum 41, Lostprophets, Korn, Static-X...

AFI, Nuclear Rabbit, Eiffel 65, Offspring, Minor Threat, Nirvana, Zeppelin, Floyd, ...

Im not sure if i believe in someone saying theyll listen to anything, no offense. I just think eventually a song will come on the radio and theyll go, 'Ugh, please change this..' So i guess a little bit of rock. But not a little bit of country...

SkaFish-I'm also a big fan of ska....I have to ask, do you have a preference for orignal or resurgence?

I cut my musical teeth on listening to records of the late 50's & 60's, my two older brothers had bought many records in their teens(during that time period)& left them behind when they left home. My oldest brother had amassed quite a collection of original ska records-I am so grateful to him for my introduction to such wonderful music, otherwise I might not have been as aware of it as early in my life.

Can you imagine how overjoyed I was when the twotone revival began?

Ska music is sunshine for my ears!:cool:

gipsy jazz! traditional music from around the world (indian, south american, greek, balkan), French chanson, Yiddish music, Italian pizzica, fado and tango music, Piazzola,
classic bossa nova, marisa monte, paulino dha viola, joao and gil and vinicius

garage bands from the 60ies, (like the Sonics!) pre-punk, punk (Violent Femmes, Dear Kennedys, the Wire)

British progressive rock (Caravan, Camel, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, Gong, Sid Barrett etc)

airy folk psychedelic music, Tim Buckley, Pentangle (just folk) John Renbourn (also), Animal collective, donovan, linda perhacs

serious rock: Iggy Pop, Rolling Stones, T-Rex, Patti Smith lots of more recent stuff but I always end up listening to the oldies

Bowie, both for music and personal inspiration, until some years ago at least

good old American folk and roots music, bluegrass, some country (I feel guilty about it, like Bender the robot of Futurama, don't know if you remember the story) and blues, oh yeah, motown, give me Otis Redding any time of the day, funk but only 70ies

weird avant garde stuff but it needs to be a tiny bit melodic (f.e. John Zorn above all, Bill Frisell, Lemon of Pink, Lisa Germano, Diamanda galas, nina hagen)

Broadway stuff, Judy and Liza

classical, renaissance music lately, and baroque, Handel, lately the soundtrack from the movie Farinelli

above all, Grateful Dead I think

but I appreciate a vast range of sounds

Alma lost her spoon said:
SkaFish-I'm also a big fan of ska....I have to ask, do you have a preference for orignal or resurgence?

I'd have to say mostly the resurgence, though I do enjoy the original as well. I got into it through bands like Operation Ivy, Rancid, Sublime, Less Than Jake, early Millencolin, Goldfinger, Suicide Machines, things like that. I'm a '90s kid and that was pretty big at the time. But I do also like the original. Stuff like Desmond Dekker and Jimmy Cliff...then like you said, the two-tone bands of the late '70s and '80s like the Specials and such. It's all enjoyable to me.

Alma lost her spoon said:
I cut my musical teeth on listening to records of the late 50's & 60's, my two older brothers had bought many records in their teens(during that time period)& left them behind when they left home. My oldest brother had amassed quite a collection of original ska records-I am so grateful to him for my introduction to such wonderful music, otherwise I might not have been as aware of it as early in my life.

Can you imagine how overjoyed I was when the twotone revival began?

Ska music is sunshine for my ears!:cool:

I can imagine how that must have been! And to be in the UK at that time, you were basically at the epicenter of it. It really didn't catch on in the states until the late '80s at the very earliest.

That's just got to be a cool feeling in general. To know you're at the ground floor of something like that. Very neat.

TheSkaFish said:
I can imagine how that must have been! And to be in the UK at that time, you were basically at the epicenter of it. It really didn't catch on in the states until the late '80s at the very earliest.

That's just got to be a cool feeling in general. To know you're at the ground floor of something like that. Very neat.

I guess I was very lucky in that respect, & for the punk movement too. Although I was too young to be going to gigs back then, not to mention the place where I grew up wasn't exactly 'happening' but it was a great musical time period to be going through childhood certainly!

I missed out on a lot of the live stuff, thankfully I have had the opportunity as an adult to see some of the bands that are still out there still doing their thing-one of my favourite moments ever has to be dancing like a loon(ska music brings out my best 'moves' hahaha) to Bad Manners in the Scooter tent at the Wickerman Festival(circa 2007 I believe) only to end up later that very night dancing like a loon with Buster himself in the Axis Reggae tent through to the early hours of the morning. That man can still can can!:D

Latest posts

Back