What has been said to you about your singledom?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer145

Reaction score
Let's get the crackers out here;

'You'll find someone when you least expect it!'

'You'll find someone when you're not looking!'

There were a lot of firemen next door to my parents one day when I was over at their house. My mom kept telling me to go out and find a good man....even tried to push me on the State fire marshal because he didn't have a ring on. lol

No one says anything to me about being single, because they all know it's my choice and I don't want a relationship. But, they still try to push me to find someone.

People don't say anything anymore. By now they must know I really mean it when I say I prefer to be single. Now, one thing I've heard a lot was "You'll change your mind when you fall in love!" Eeeeeeh, they put too much faith in me.

it takes friends to comment on that, and I don't have any, or maybe it is just really obvious at a first look (?!) why I don't have partners, because it has been many years since someone gave me any advice or comments

Triple Bogey said:
Have you ever thought about joining a dating site for ugly people ?

woah, that was mean

My mom really wants some grandkids. Sadly for her, both my brother and I seem to have a really hard time finding good relationships.

^^^None of her business anyway. Nobody should have kids just to appease their own parents/grandparents.

Nobody says anything to me about it. I think the reason is the idea of me being in a relationship is embarrassing/distasteful, so it's never brought up.

"There's someone out there for everyone!"

Nah I've just seen this one on various internet forums. Nobody's never asked me about my long term singledom, I just get the occasional question of is there any romance on the horizon etc. I dislike when people ask too many questions especially when they want to know when my last girlfriend was. It means I have to say something like "quite a while" and hope they don't want specifics ("quite a while" being about 13 years). Always makes me uncomfortable.

After a few dates with a young lady, I usually get "You are so nice, kind and warm. Why aren't you already taken?".
Maybe I should ask them since they all seem to leave me at some point. *shrug*
I will keep doing me. I don't need anyone else to fresia with me. I fresia with me.

"Just put yourself out there" well, this might work if someone notices and cares that you are "out there" .. wherever "there" is .. but if nobody gives a honeysuckle you're still screwed.
"Just focus on something else ...." seems to be just another way of being told you should give up.
"Fake it until you make it" except, of course, you never do make it, because you end up being branded a fake and a liar.
"You're still young ...." seems to be often said by older people who are in a relationship.
"You're lucky ...." another one that seems to be said by people who either have chosen to be single, or who aren't single, and definitely won't end their relationship.
"Just smile!" similar to the first one, in that if nobody cares it has no effect ... and in my experience, often only entices abusive comments from strangers.
"Do what makes YOU happy" well, being able to share the things I like with someone, go out with someone, and share affection and intimacy is what would make me happy .....

Plus of course the already mentioned "It will happen when you least expect it", and "You'll find someone one day ..."

For me, it's more like what's going on with my unmarried-dom. I get questioned more now about when marriage will happen than when I was single. A slight pain in the ass either way though.

For the most part, no one says anything. The only exception I can think of is when a friend (drunkenly) offered to set me up with one of her friends about a year ago, but I couldn't tell if they were serious or just joking. Besides, this person didn't interest, excite, or otherwise appeal to me anyway.

I was again offered to be set up with another friend a couple months ago, but I didn't follow up on it. I just can't imagine the people I know knowing anyone I'd actually want to date. I think this is something I'm going to have to handle on my own.

TheSkaFish said:
I just can't imagine the people I know knowing anyone I'd actually want to date.

I think you're going to miss out on a lot of good people with thinking like that. I mean, if you're standing, waiting for the bus to come, and it stops in front of you, but you want a different bus... You're just going to end up missing a lot of great places to be. I get that you want something specific, but we never know who ends up being exactly what we need in life.

Latest posts

Back