living off the grid?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Maybe not a shipping container, but some day I want to be able to provide everything I need for myself.

Pretty much all of my Youtube subscriptions involve these kinds of subjects.

Topics from building buildings, food production (mushroom cultivation, fruit/nut orchards, gardening, aquaponics, aquaculture), food preservation, collecting/controlling/using water, producing electricity (wood gas, wind power, hydro power, solar power), and hunting/fishing.

There's a channel that I've been following lately that actually kind of goes around to a lot of these tinyhouse type of buildings and has interviews with the builders. The channel is called relaxshacksdotcom. One of my favorite builds that they show off is this one.
[video=youtube]

If you are just wanting to learn about getting off grid as far as utilities go, I recommend Engineer775's channel. He's been able to use the ponds and wells on his property to do some amazing things. He's always hacking some kind of project together. He's already built many different kinds of backup systems for his power and water needs. The guy is a genius.

Another guy I just found recently is someone that I've been learning a ton of information from. This guy is also really smart. MrTeslonian

Here's one of his crazy projects. He runs a generator, produces diesel, gas, and heat too. He has a lot of projects where he explains 100% step by step how to set everything up and what he's doing. He explains why and how everything works. Good channel.
[video=youtube]

I have many channels full of this kind of stuff for all of the different topics I listed before. Some day I will have my own land to play with. :)

One other thing I have been looking at lately is vandwelling. It seems like building one could be a cheaper way to get started. This way I'd have at least some kind of shelter while getting set up on some kind of land. If I ever build one though I'd have to spend a least a year or two just travelling in it and doing cool stuff though. :O

My favorite blog/setup is the Vandogtraveller van. It's basically a sprinter type van that he then built out into a camper. He was even able to fit a full bath in there. I really like his layout. There are only a few things I would need to change.

I've been looking into buying a hammock to sleep in instead of a bed lately, and after seeing the Vandogtraveller setup, I'm 100% sure I need to at least try it out. It saves so much space and I keep reading about how comfortable it is too.

oh, those are great links, please, please, let's build a village of tiny houses ;)

I'm not sure if I want to live completely off grid but I guess I could get into semi... Internet, cable & a phone line would be nice... I guess I could get a generator, preferably one with the diesel engine so I could burn used cooking oils, for electricity...

TheRealCallie said:
I'll come, but I want a tree house :D

I have a tin of stuff to eradicate woodworm which you are welcome to borrow if necessary :)

Latest posts

Back