Ingress - The Social Computer Game

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of things the last few years to meet people and make friends. I've pushed myself into uncomfortable situations on the theory that to get different results you have to have a different input. The only thing that has worked and that I've enjoyed has been Ingress.

What is it? Well, it's a phone game that you have to physically visit places to play. Anything of even the remotest interest is a spot to visit. I can pretty much guarantee that every statue, piece of art, plaque and old building you know is already in the game. Therefore you go to a lot of interesting places and find new things in the place you've lived for years.

The game also has inbuilt limits that mean you can only do certain things by meeting up with other players. And certainly everything is easier with other players. This means there is a bunch of people out there waiting to meet up with and help any new players.

You will also do a lot of walking! Some of the weight-loss I've seen in other players is remarkable.

People play to different levels, and while I play every day, I'm not considered hardcore! But every now and then I catch the absurdity of what we are doing and say out loud with a big grin "this game is mental. What are we doing?" as we walk down a rock jetty in the pitch dark at 4:30 in the morning using our phones to light the way. That actually happened last weekend!

I've also waded through cold, green, chest high water for the pride of getting to a well known hard to get to spot. I've been part of 20-people team (not 20-man, there's a good portion of players that are female) that have gone through the night to trash an enemy stronghold area. I've travelled hundreds of miles in a weekend to join hundreds of players in a huge battle.

Ingress is the only thing I could put out there as a success story for others to be inspired by. So if you've been inspired to give it a go, please pick the Enlightened/Green team as a thank you to me.

https://www.ingress.com/ -

Sounds like a decent idea. Would help for travelling to new spots.

Sadly it's not compatible with iOS 6 so I'll have to go without.

Maybe there's a way to do this without an app too!

Oh sorry, I didn't know. The iPhone version is very new. If you have a tablet you can play on that and connect to your phone for data. It's actually a good way to split the battery drain.

Don't be sorry! It is the way things go with technology, my iPhone 4 almost belongs in a museum!

I don't have a tablet but I'll keep an eye on this and see if they offer any other ways to join in, in the future

Hey, so i saw this post last night and downloaded it before i went to bed.. Got up today and have walked around and started playing it a little bit, just collecting stuff that's around me. This game is actually really cool and it surprises me how big the community actually is. I live in northern toronto and even around where i am there are a lot of portals and things to do so it's gonna be fun getting my way up to be able to help out other people when I go downtown.

I'm glad you like it. Even as a L1 you can link, field, hack rare stuff, so you are always "helpful". You'll get to a point where all you want is Level 8 kit, and for that 8 Level 8 players need to come together and that's where the social side really comes in.

Like I say, it's helped me meet people when nothing else has.

Sounds cool:)
Too bad technological cavemen like me cant play it:D I still have Nokia:) And it doesnt seem like its going to break anytime soon:/ Which is great on the other hand:D Just not this one:D

The really nice thing about this game is that most if not all portals are stationed over places of public attractions or historical values. So it is a great way to explore a city. I have been getting into it a lot over the past few weeks and have met quite a number of people already. So it is excellent. However, the Enlightened sucks :p Join the Resistance!

Nat_Riding_Frog.png

(The slang in the game is Enlightment = Frog :club: the Resistance = Smurf)

I just spent all of yesterday with one of the guys walking round London playing.

Join the Enlightened. We have cake

lostear said:
The really nice thing about this game is that most if not all portals are stationed over places of public attractions or historical values. So it is a great way to explore a city. I have been getting into it a lot over the past few weeks and have met quite a number of people already. So it is excellent. However, the Enlightened sucks :p Join the Resistance!

Nat_Riding_Frog.png

(The slang in the game is Enlightment = Frog :club: the Resistance = Smurf)

Lostear and I play this game together. I second this call, join the resistence!

I have met new people through this game, it's amazing.

I'm actually really interested. Can get me out of the house, while exercising at the same time.

Do you know if there's a way to find out how much/big this is in a certain country/area? Without signing up first I mean?

Red said:
I've tried a lot of things the last few years to meet people and make friends. I've pushed myself into uncomfortable situations on the theory that to get different results you have to have a different input. The only thing that has worked and that I've enjoyed has been Ingress.

What is it? Well, it's a phone game that you have to physically visit places to play. Anything of even the remotest interest is a spot to visit. I can pretty much guarantee that every statue, piece of art, plaque and old building you know is already in the game. Therefore you go to a lot of interesting places and find new things in the place you've lived for years.

The game also has inbuilt limits that mean you can only do certain things by meeting up with other players. And certainly everything is easier with other players. This means there is a bunch of people out there waiting to meet up with and help any new players.

You will also do a lot of walking! Some of the weight-loss I've seen in other players is remarkable.

People play to different levels, and while I play every day, I'm not considered hardcore! But every now and then I catch the absurdity of what we are doing and say out loud with a big grin "this game is mental. What are we doing?" as we walk down a rock jetty in the pitch dark at 4:30 in the morning using our phones to light the way. That actually happened last weekend!

I've also waded through cold, green, chest high water for the pride of getting to a well known hard to get to spot. I've been part of 20-people team (not 20-man, there's a good portion of players that are female) that have gone through the night to trash an enemy stronghold area. I've travelled hundreds of miles in a weekend to join hundreds of players in a huge battle.

Ingress is the only thing I could put out there as a success story for others to be inspired by. So if you've been inspired to give it a go, please pick the Enlightened/Green team as a thank you to me.

https://www.ingress.com/ -

I have joined the enlightened (MOAR POWER FTW! )
It seems there's only one portal where I am though, and it's disturbingly blue. Time to change that.

Unless you are very very rural, there will be portals and players near you. If there's not much in the way of portals you can submit anything you think is interesting. I recommend you do as the achievement for that take fricking ages! So get submitting before someone else does.

There's an in game comms you can use to make contact with local players, but it's not that secure so just be aware of that if you hear of any plans.

The game is going to portals, blowing them up, taking them over, and linking them to other portals to make green triangles everywhere. You can't link over another link, so big triangles (fields) are hard to make. This is where you get crazy team efforts to field over London involving hundreds of people all over the country playing at 4:30am!

On the other side of it, this weekend both sides are working together to create a Union Flag and Poppy out of fields, covering most of the UK.

This video is actually a very good explanation of how you play the game.
It doesn't explain why it's so addictive and fun though.

Well, I'm in a small out of the way town with three portals that are very spread apart. I'll probably try to find some to submit and hope I'm not spamming the submit button too much.

It takes the portal monkeys a long time to get to them so you have a wait. But it does encourage you to go to other places, and you are automatically visiting the interesting stuff by playing the game.

Red said:
It takes the portal monkeys a long time to get to them so you have a wait. But it does encourage you to go to other places, and you are automatically visiting the interesting stuff by playing the game.

And it does encourage guardian badges? :)

This reminds me, I need to charge my portals.

Latest posts

Back