I know we aren't supposed to bring chatroom issues onto the forum but...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

No one is ever in the chatroom.

:(

Where are all the people?! D:

This makes me sad.

The last week or so, there's been a lull in chat. There's usually people in there in the late afternoon and evening hours, Soph. I'm usually in there in the mornings, with a few others sometimes coming in.

We need to fill up the chat room again. It used to be so fun with all the people in there, so get your asses back in there, people! :club: lol

I can't get in there because Xat likes being stupid, but I do miss talking to people like the good ole days.

everytime i go to xat i am green but also everytime i go to xat there is pretty much only 1 or no people there. :l

SophiaGrace said:
everytime i go to xat i am green but also everytime i go to xat there is pretty much only 1 or no people there. :l

I'll be in chat in about an hour if you wanna come in and get membered then. You are registered, aren't you, Soph?

TheRealCallie said:
SophiaGrace said:

I'll be in chat in about an hour if you wanna come in and get membered then. You are registered, aren't you, Soph?

yeah, I am registered. I'm not sure why I'm green. Kinda frustrated.

I may have to get ready for class though this morning and may miss you. I'll try to pop in. No promises.

According to Xat, I'm registered but I don't have an account. Yes, I forget my password. I go to retrieve a new one, and it says that my email doesn't exist. I go to sign up, it says my email is already used... No crap... Thanks, Xat.

TheRealCallie said:
VanillaCreme said:
I can't get in there because Xat likes being stupid, but I do miss talking to people like the good ole days.

Xat needs to stop being a ***** and let Nilla come back :club:

This is actually something relevant, since it doesn't seem like we're going to be able to get forum-integrated chat software going. We're always considering alternative platforms to Xat, since it's not the most universally functional chat software. There is a backup IRC room that we might end up switching to, but before that happens, it would be great if people could provide any other suggestions in terms of chat platforms. It would be nice if they matched the following criteria:

1. A method of preventing random people from trolling such as requiring an account to be registered in order to chat, or being able to restrict the usage of the chat to approved members only.

2. A good PMing system. Preferably something easy to use like tabbed PMs.

3. An available web interface so that people aren't forced to download another program entirely just to use the chat room.

4. A good mobile interface.

5. And finally, that it's reliable and easy to use.

If people can throw out some suggestions, I'll try to check them out and make a poll thread. You can suggest stuff that doesn't match all of the criteria too.

I'll send this request along to lostear, my friend. He is good with finding technical things.

mintymint said:
This is actually something relevant, since it doesn't seem like we're going to be able to get forum-integrated chat software going. We're always considering alternative platforms to Xat, since it's not the most universally functional chat software. There is a backup IRC room that we might end up switching to, but before that happens, it would be great if people could provide any other suggestions in terms of chat platforms. It would be nice if they matched the following criteria:

1. A method of preventing random people from trolling such as requiring an account to be registered in order to chat, or being able to restrict the usage of the chat to approved members only.

2. A good PMing system. Preferably something easy to use like tabbed PMs.

3. An available web interface so that people aren't forced to download another program entirely just to use the chat room.

4. A good mobile interface.

5. And finally, that it's reliable and easy to use.

If people can throw out some suggestions, I'll try to check them out and make a poll thread. You can suggest stuff that doesn't match all of the criteria too.

You know, I usually hate IRC with a passion but I've found an IRC format which I really like lately. So I'm going to put this up as a suggestion:

https://kiwiirc.com

SophiaGrace said:
TheRealCallie said:
SophiaGrace said:

yeah, I am registered. I'm not sure why I'm green. Kinda frustrated.

I may have to get ready for class though this morning and may miss you. I'll try to pop in. No promises.

Xat guested me last week. lol Even when I signed in, I was still green

Every once in a while I would pop back in but every time I did I noticed the same thing. Seems like less and less people each time and of the few people there, no one was really chatting.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
I keep thinking of joining the chat room, but I'm a little to shy to do so. I was never the best at conversations.

We wouldn't pressure you to chat, if you didn't want to. Come on in and test the waters, see how you like it. :)

I used to go quite a bit, but just haven't had the time lately. o_O
It can be pretty fun and entertaining at times. :D

As SophieGrace have said, I'm generally good with finding options to thing like that. So Let me do some search on this matter. Hopefully I can find some compatible chat sites.

I suspect that part of why the xat chatroom is so sparse is because it is confusing for new users like me. I'm used to a more practical layout than Xat's.

IRC is nice but it does have some privacy concern so I recommend that the privacy thing gets looked into first before it become an official chatroom.

I'm currently checking out slack.com.

It SEEMS like a good option as long as we can use myBB (the forum's software) to assign each users an email address after certain amount of postings or something like this. Then we could have a specific slack address only accessible to any users who registered with a [email protected] address.

It have a type of tabbed conversation and users can create private chatroom with any other users for private conversations. Slack have an actual app for Windows, Mac, iOS (iPhone and iPad), and Android devices, you can't get any more mobile than that. the default #general chatroom can be used as a landing page for everyone to chat and Mods can remove the restrictions from any accounts so they can see the private chatroom from then on.

Honestly, Slack.com seems to fit all of the requirement so far. If the email thing are not possible, then it will have to be invitation based. In this case, maybe one or two trusted users can be assigned the role of approving whoever goes to the oslack chatroom?

I'm currently looking into seeing whether or not myBB can assign email address using the alonelylife domain name in any way.

Latest posts

Back