What are you currently reading?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DayvanCowboy

So, as far as having a lonely life goes some of you are bound to start reading some books. Post what you are currently reading.

I remember a forum member talking about Murakami. I've read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Wild Cheep Chase. Both are really good. I also dig Ryu Murakami (no relation). I have In the Miso Soup in my backlog and I am a huge fan of Coin Locker Babies.

Anyways, I'm currently reading Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Its a mission to complete but its a very good book. A true epic tale. Definitely planning on making some room to read it again in the future.

Word. I hear you on the Dostoevsky. Anything that man writes is good.

Currently I'm finishing up Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I think it's a great book, but I'm finding the end a bit redundant.

Master and Commander! ( I just had to get the one with Russel Crowe on the cover... Lol)

I'm currently reading romance novels, have about 9 that I'm going through at the moment, not reading for the romance just reading for the stories, something to do while I look for a job. One of the best books I have read is The Tales of the Otori, it spans 2 generations of japanese characters. There's four books in the set, I have the last one to read, I think it's the first time I've read the whole book instead of skipping through the pages.

DayvanCowboy said:
Anyways, I'm currently reading Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Its a mission to complete but its a very good book. A true epic tale. Definitely planning on making some room to read it again in the future.

I really enjoyed Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and have a copy of The Brothers Karamazov but haven't got around to reading it yet.

Minus said:
DayvanCowboy said:

I really enjoyed Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and have a copy of The Brothers Karamazov but haven't got around to reading it yet.

I actually have a copy of Crime and Punishment that is in my backlog but if anything, I am reading The Road (McCarthy) first. Then I have some Bukowski and Ryu Murakami books to read before I get to Crime and Punishment.

I really hope I have a good translation though.

I'm reading a biography of Einstein by Walter Isaacson, it's really good, very interesting to look at his life and see what he went through, Einstein's always been a kind of hero to me such an awe inspiring figure

What are some good one by Bukowski?
I'm reading "Demian" by Hermann Hesse.
The last book I was 100% in love with was "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski.

I recommend Ham on Rye and Post Office by Bukowski. Those two are probably your best bet to start off with.

Thanks for reminding me about "House of Leaves". Reading your post reminded me of a Chapters employee ranting about how I should read that book a while back.
:)

Thanks for the Bukowski recs!

House of Leaves was really incredible and I loved it even though the writing was not my usual style. It was really....masculine. It was dark and artsy and hypnotizing, with lots of sex and alone-ness.

ooooo cool.
ive never ever ever read but im in love with the dark tower by stephen king!
anyone else?
im on the 4th book wizard and glass, its getting into a sappy love story but i know it will pick up soon. word.

lol, ****, everyone is reading something worthwhile except me! :p
I'm reading Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas series.
The last books that I read that weren't just mindless entertainment, was Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe and a book on the history of Nicaragua.

Not reading anything at the moment, but the latest book I finished was "The Kite Runner". Great book

i was reading The Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche, but i had to return it to the library :/

The Dharma Bums
White Bears & other unwanted thoughts
The Diving Bell & The butterfly

I am currently reading nothing at the moment since I'm a lazy bum, but the last books I read were Fight Club and Survivor, both by Chuck Palahniuk.

I wonder what happened to Zem?:(

I finished Brothers Karamazov a while back.

The I read and finished McCarthy's "The Road" which is going to be made into a movie. Real good book. Sad and a little disturbing though.

Now I am 2/3 through "The Human Stain" by Phillip Roth. Great read so far.

loketron said:
ooooo cool.
ive never ever ever read but im in love with the dark tower by stephen king!
anyone else?
im on the 4th book wizard and glass, its getting into a sappy love story but i know it will pick up soon. word.

Buddy, it's a good thing that you didn't start reading about "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" (a poem by Robert Browning which gave Stephen King the idea for his gunslinger series) until recently. I started reading those books back in 1991 or so, and it took the Kingmeister FOREVER to finish them. I read where King said that he started to feel guilty about taking such a long time to finish them after a woman wrote him saying that she was dying of cancer and she was worried that she might not ever see Roland, the gunslinger, make it to the Dark Tower.

Dude, it's really strange to have full knowledge of the gunslinger books, and also know a bit about King's personal life. While he was writing the earlier books of the series, he was an alcoholic. So much so that his wife Tabitha started threatening to divorce him over it. So he quit drinking, but the unfortunate part of it was that his subsequent works started sucking when compared to his earlier works that he composed while drinking. One of these days, when you finally finish the last gunslinger book, you'll see what I mean. "The Drawing of the Three" was one totally awesome book; I think it's the second or third book of the 8 or 9 books. After about the 5th or 6th book, he stopped drinking and you can really tell.

Me personally, I can't drink while writing. If I get even a taste of beer, I'm like, "Screw this keyboard, maaaann!" But Mr. Stephen King was a MASTER at it back in his day. . . may that part of him Rest In Peace. . . .

aw snap bluehawk you spill beer on your keyboard????

sadly i started reading this i think to impress HER, but shes gone now and i cant stop. hell, its her book, but shell get it back ( ooooo the final FINAL last time we might ever talk??)
yea, this is really the first thing ive ever read,,,ever.
i think besides the dark tower series i only have like a few others fully read under my belt
ive been slowing down to but im still like "i HAVE TO FINISH THIS!!!!!!" and i will.
its just going threw the sappy love part right now but till get better i know.
and dont anyone go spoiling it for me!! grrrrr

Latest posts

Back