Why do people hate me so much?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do people stare at me like I'm a piece of s*** everywhere I go? When I get in my car, go to the store, go to the gym, walk my dog. People hate my existence. Why? I'm a nice person, I don't hurt anyone. I'm just sick of all of the people in society. Why can't you just leave me alone and allow me to live my life? I'm a human being, as hard as that may be for you to believe. Even worse now I feel like God hates me and just put me here to suffer.
I'm 24 barely have any friends and never even kissed a girl. Women won't give me a chance because they hate me like everyone else.

Hey, I've experienced that too. Half of it was an anxiety disorder and the other half was a result of me being different. I think it may be in your head? Or just a result of other people's ignorance.

Maybe it's really just that you think they stare, when they really don't? Or maybe they look because of other (not negative) intentions... Because they like your dog, car and so on? Why are you sure that they hate you?

It sounds as though you don't accept yourself at all and are projecting your self hatred onto others. Complete strangers would have no reason to hate you unless they have serious psychological problems.
By the way, I often feel that God has put me here to suffer as well-I thought I was the only person who thought like this. It helps to know that I am not.

People used to stare at me or laugh. Sometimes they whispered things or giggled. I was shy and probably looked ridiculous.
Maybe they still do it but I don't notice it so much ?

Just ignore them and try and build your self confidence up.

welcome to the forum :)

hate takes effort and it's an apathetic world for the most part...try to keep your chin up!

How can they hate you when they don't know you? Whatever they may be hating is not you, just their image of you.

Maybe hate was the wrong word. It's more like people underestimate me, look down on me, and think they can treat me in whatever nasty way they want..That's even worse than hate imo.

How can you tell? Is it the expression they have on their faces? I remember feeling that way once and it turns out they were just going about their business and it was their regular face.

WhyDoPeopleHateMe said:
Maybe hate was the wrong word. It's more like people underestimate me, look down on me, and think they can treat me in whatever nasty way they want..That's even worse than hate imo.

I agree. People hating you at least shows that they take you seriously.

A friend of mine used to say that he had suffered his whole life from the jealousy of lesser men, who felt threatened by his genius. He meant it as a joke, of course. But sometimes when you don't fit into society, its society that is wrong, not you.

Triple Bogey said:
People used to stare at me or laugh. Sometimes they whispered things or giggled. I was shy and probably looked ridiculous.

Things like this still happen to me, and I'm 38. Getting laughed at, pointed at, ignored or refused service in a store, cafe or restaurant, people making it obvious that they don't want any physical contact with me, no matter how minor it is, and then making faces and noises about being disgusted or feeling sick if/when it does happen, people who should be old enough to not do so doing that old school trick of pushing a friend in to me and then joking that that friend 'touched' me, people refusing to sit near or next to me, or refusing me a seat on a public transport, getting spat at, and so on and so forth. I could go on with the thing that happen most times I go out.

Ignoring it doesn't make it stop. Saying something to the people who do it doesn't make it stop. They just laugh.

Yet, sometimes, when I would go out with a therapist (as part of the therapy), most times it wouldn't happen at all. A few times it still did, and the therapist was shocked by it (I don't think he really believed me until he saw it happen), but most of the time, if I was obviously with someone, it seems that I no longer became a target. Thing is, out of the therapy setting, there's nobody else to go out with.

I don't understand.. how do strangers look at you and give you a negative feedback? It must be something about your physical appearance?

I mean, are you walking/driving around all while wearing rags that haven't been washed in a year? There seems to be missing information..

I could walk around with a rifle and I will get some negative feedback from strangers, mostly uneasiness to fear. But I can easily just leave out the rifle information and just say that everyone fears me wherever I go.

Cucuboth said:
Triple Bogey said:

Things like this still happen to me, and I'm 38. Getting laughed at, pointed at, ignored or refused service in a store, cafe or restaurant, people making it obvious that they don't want any physical contact with me, no matter how minor it is, and then making faces and noises about being disgusted or feeling sick if/when it does happen, people who should be old enough to not do so doing that old school trick of pushing a friend in to me and then joking that that friend 'touched' me, people refusing to sit near or next to me, or refusing me a seat on a public transport, getting spat at, and so on and so forth. I could go on with the thing that happen most times I go out.

Ignoring it doesn't make it stop. Saying something to the people who do it doesn't make it stop. They just laugh.

Yet, sometimes, when I would go out with a therapist (as part of the therapy), most times it wouldn't happen at all. A few times it still did, and the therapist was shocked by it (I don't think he really believed me until he saw it happen), but most of the time, if I was obviously with someone, it seems that I no longer became a target. Thing is, out of the therapy setting, there's nobody else to go out with.

I sometimes get negative reactions, women looking away, crossing their arms, turning their noses up if they have to speak to me in a store/cafe etc. but I think being oblivious helps you fade into the background a bit and lessen the likelihood of this.
Curious - do you wash daily (a no brainer...), shave, wear clothing that is for want of a better word 'trendy', and have a haircut that suits your head shape? If it looks like you respect yourself then people won't be so inclined to ridicule.

ardour said:
Cucuboth said:
Triple Bogey said:

I sometimes get negative reactions, women looking away, crossing their arms, turning their noses up if they have to speak to me in a store/cafe etc. but I think being oblivious helps you fade into the background a bit and lessen the likelihood of this.
Curious - do you wash daily (a no brainer...), shave, wear clothing that is for want of a better word 'trendy', and have a haircut that suits your head shape? If it looks like you respect yourself then people won't be so inclined to ridicule.

I go through this too. Women love to ignore me when I show them attention, then start looking at me when I look away. I think they're curious about me or something, but God forbid they would actually talk to an undesirable like me. Same thing at stores and stuff, they almost always give me this passive aggressive attitude. It sucks. I try to dress nice but I don't have the money for really high end stuff.

WhyDoPeopleHateMe said:
I go through this too. Women love to ignore me when I show them attention, then start looking at me when I look away. I think they're curious about me or something, but God forbid they would actually talk to an undesirable like me. Same thing at stores and stuff, they almost always give me this passive aggressive attitude. It sucks. I try to dress nice but I don't have the money for really high end stuff.

If it looks like you don’t care then those sorts of people are usually less obnoxious, since obnoxious people are always respecters of status.
The importance of how a person dresses can’t be emphasized enough; don’t buy clothes that look out of date, make you look like an old man, or conversely like you’re trying too hard (like a white homeboy, or too hipster)
Take note of how others your own age or younger dress and choose what suites you.

ardour said:
WhyDoPeopleHateMe said:

If it looks like you don’t care then those sorts of people are usually less obnoxious, since obnoxious people are always respecters of status.
The importance of how a person dresses can’t be emphasized enough; don’t buy clothes that look out of date, make you look like an old man, or conversely like you’re trying too hard (like a white homeboy, or too hipster)
Take note of how others your own age or younger dress and choose what suites you best.

I wouldn't even know where to start. I think I need a person to go shopping with me because I suck at picking out clothes. It's just in my nature to dress modestly.

Regumika said:
I don't understand.. how do strangers look at you and give you a negative feedback? It must be something about your physical appearance?

I mean, are you walking/driving around all while wearing rags that haven't been washed in a year? There seems to be missing information..

I could walk around with a rifle and I will get some negative feedback from strangers, mostly uneasiness to fear. But I can easily just leave out the rifle information and just say that everyone fears me wherever I go.

Yeah, I don't get it either. True, some people (too many people) are probably just plain rude, but that doesn't account for every person.

WhyDoPeopleHateMe said:

You say women love to ignore you... What if they don't want your attention? What if they don't love attention that random guys give them? Perhaps if they knew you on some level, they'd be more receptive of it.

And clothes and looks probably have nothing to do with it. As long as you're clean and not caked in dirt and feces, I see no reason why the average person would snub their nose up to you.

VanillaCreme said:
Regumika said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. True, some people (too many people) are probably just plain rude, but that doesn't account for every person.

WhyDoPeopleHateMe said:

You say women love to ignore you... What if they don't want your attention? What if they don't love attention that random guys give them? Perhaps if they knew you on some level, they'd be more receptive of it.

And clothes and looks probably have nothing to do with it. As long as you're clean and not caked in dirt and feces, I see no reason why the average person would snub their nose up to you.

Of course they don't want my attention, they're ignoring me, just waiting for me to go away.

Latest posts

Back