Life as a single working mom...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
I read this and was blown away at how apt it is. :p

Life as a single working mom is …

… panicking when your child walks in to your bedroom to wake you up on a Monday morning and says, matter-of-factly, “Mommy! It’s 7:45! Don’t you have to get up?” (I usually just wake up on my own and jump out of the bed and yell, Oh honeysuckle!")

… putting your hair into a low ponytail, once again — the unofficial hairstyle of working moms everywhere.

… wondering, once again, what your boss thinks about you as you run in the door and she says, “Did you forget your phone/iphone/purse/head?”

… on a morning when your child is sick, worrying over taking time off work to get them to the doctor.

… realizing, during your commute to work, that you forgot to sign the field trip form and calling your child’s teacher to beg for an exception.

… opening your work tote and finding that your child has inexplicably decided to fill it with Polly Pocket pieces. (or gum/candy wrappers)

… feeling entirely too excited about taking a bathroom break, because nobody is banging on the door and asking you where her purple hoodie is.

… running to the store during lunchtime to pick up the supplies your kid needs for his class project, then running to the next one when the first is all out of white poster board. (The second store is usually out as well)

… staring at the drawing pinned up on your office bulletin board that your child made on the day he came to work and relishing the cuteness. (I have a plethora of these on my wall at work :p )

… not really having too much time to think about your kids because you are determined to plow through everything and get out the door at a reasonable hour.

… getting a breathlessly urgent call from your child about just what she would like for her birthday as your boss walks into your office.

… having to take off a half day from work to attend your kid’s school event and wondering why the school thinks it’s OK to schedule events in the middle of the day. (This still pisses me off)

… freaking out when you see the school's number pop up on your cell phone. (This ALWAYS freaks me out)

… searching through the book section for "Splat the Cat." It MUST be Splat the Cat!! (She has several Splat books)

… feeling the bliss rush of how psyched your kids are to see you when you walk in the door. And feeling a little glum on those days when they don’t even pick their heads up from their books or iPad to acknowledge your presence.

… not feeling at all guilty that you consider “takeout” an essential food group.

… feeling a little guilty that you have to do homework with them so late in the day when they’re a little tired … and you are, too. (most days)

… loving your children so much it hurts — yet being exceedingly happy when they are asleep. But then, that’s every mom.

I'm not a single working mom,but I relate to many of them!I enjoyed reading it,Eve!Thanks for posting it!:)

"… searching through the book section for "Splat the Cat." It MUST be Splat the Cat!! (she has several Splat the Cat books)

… loving your children so much it hurts — yet being exceedingly happy when they are asleep. But then, that’s every mom."

These^^^^ haha, I completely relate to these. :)

Aww! A crazy good & a good crazy, it seems! No way could I imagine what its like to be a parent!

2z9jzpe.jpg

rr4jlx.png

Oh yeah, that's me totally. I dream of the day when I can use the bathroom without a kid banging on the door for no particular reason and yelling "Mom!!!!" :D

I would also add...leaving work at 4:30 and telling my coworkers "Time to go to my second job." :D :D

-Teresa

I could tell about my life as a single, working, full-time dad...maybe that's another thread though...LOL

All I know is kids eat your food and break your heart.

jd7 said:

Correction: Kids eat a LOT of your food. They will even eat the food YOU were going to eat. :D

Minus said:

:O Jaylen doesn't have that particular Splat book! Must...get ...it.

:D Thanks, Minus!

EveWasFramed said:

… panicking when your child walks in to your bedroom to wake you up on a Monday morning and says, matter-of-factly, “Mommy! It’s 7:45! Don’t you have to get up?” (I usually just wake up on my own and jump out of the bed and yell, Oh honeysuckle!")

… putting your hair into a low ponytail, once again — the unofficial hairstyle of working moms everywhere.

… wondering, once again, what your boss thinks about you as you run in the door and she says, “Did you forget your phone/iphone/purse/head?”

… on a morning when your child is sick, worrying over taking time off work to get them to the doctor.

… realizing, during your commute to work, that you forgot to sign the field trip form and calling your child’s teacher to beg for an exception.

… opening your work tote and finding that your child has inexplicably decided to fill it with Polly Pocket pieces. (or gum/candy wrappers)

… feeling entirely too excited about taking a bathroom break, because nobody is banging on the door and asking you where her purple hoodie is.

… running to the store during lunchtime to pick up the supplies your kid needs for his class project, then running to the next one when the first is all out of white poster board. (The second store is usually out as well)

… staring at the drawing pinned up on your office bulletin board that your child made on the day he came to work and relishing the cuteness. (I have a plethora of these on my wall at work :p )

… not really having too much time to think about your kids because you are determined to plow through everything and get out the door at a reasonable hour.

… getting a breathlessly urgent call from your child about just what she would like for her birthday as your boss walks into your office.

… having to take off a half day from work to attend your kid’s school event and wondering why the school thinks it’s OK to schedule events in the middle of the day. (This still pisses me off)

… freaking out when you see the school's number pop up on your cell phone. (This ALWAYS freaks me out)

… searching through the book section for "Splat the Cat." It MUST be Splat the Cat!! (She has several Splat books)

… feeling the bliss rush of how psyched your kids are to see you when you walk in the door. And feeling a little glum on those days when they don’t even pick their heads up from their books or iPad to acknowledge your presence.

… not feeling at all guilty that you consider “takeout” an essential food group.

… feeling a little guilty that you have to do homework with them so late in the day when they’re a little tired … and you are, too. (most days)

… loving your children so much it hurts — yet being exceedingly happy when they are asleep. But then, that’s every mom.

So much truth in these.

EveWasFramed said:

jd7 said:
I could tell about my life as a single, working, full-time dad...maybe that's another thread though...LOL

The one good thing about working is you can eat a hot meal uninterrupted by little ones during lunch. :D

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
EveWasFramed said:

jd7 said:

The one good thing about working is you can eat a hot meal uninterrupted by little ones during lunch. :D

-Teresa

Are you kidding? :p
Lunchtime is when I take care of errands and appointments. Lol

jd7 said:

This also is true.

Latest posts

Back